Loaning out horses how hard

mineon

Visit site
You would think part loaning out a horse would be easy, poeple who can't aford to buy and don't have the time would jump at the chance to loan a good horse, but no not a one had my horse advertised foe 3 weeks now and not a person intrested.
Why?

popsicle

Visit site
We will shortly be looking for a FULL loan horse. Let me know if you are interested. Good Luck anyway
grin.gif

mineon

Visit site
just put her on horse mart, going to add pics tomorrow so can get better pics on, then been on cheshire horse horse exchange horse gossip.

isabella

Visit site
Im having the same problem at the moment no interest at all im thinking it my also be the fact the weathers changing and we are going into winter

Kat

Visit site
Are you sure your ad spells out what you are looking for? IMHO there is a lot of confusion about what constitutes a part loan and what is a share. Could be you aren't getting the right people looking at your ad because of the terminology.

mineon

Visit site
This is what the ad says any help amending feel free i am rubbish at adverts
smile.gif

Part loan 17.3hh Manchester Area
5 yrs old Chestnut Mare backed this year good to hack alone or in company, needs bring on with schooling, she is green but nothing bothers her takes everything in her stride.
I'm looking for a confident reliable share for this loving mare to help bring her on as am am currently unable to ride at the moment. Greater Manchester

PaddyMonty

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

I'm looking for a confident reliable share for this loving mare to help bring her on as am am currently unable to ride at the moment. Greater Manchester

[/ QUOTE ]
This bit would put me right off. Reading between the lines it says please work on my horse for me while I cant. Bugger off once I can.

I'm sure that isn't what you meant but is a probable interpretation.
A better wording may be

I'm looking for a confident reliable share for this loving mare to continue her education. Unlimited riding available as I am currently unable to ride.

mineon

Visit site
Thanks Juno think i will change that bit dose sound like it now you have high lighted it, said i was rubbish at adds. x

Kat

Visit site
Right well you aren't very clear about what you want. You refer to part loan and to sharing.

What are you offering? Do you need a financial contribution? What facilities do you have? What will you let them do? What is the horse capable of?

They are the sorts of things I'd be wanting to know.

Also as you say you are unable to ride at the moment you should consider indicating whether there is likely to be a timescale for the loan. People won't want to put time money and effort into a horse and then have it whipped out from under them. You don't have to say why you can't ride but you could say to loan for six months due to ill health of rider, potential for more long term arrangement thereafter. Or permanent arrangement for the right person, or do you want the horse ridden for you while you are unable to ride and once you are back perhaps continue on three day a week basis or maybe it is a fixed term say six months or one year only.

If you are unable to ride due to pregnancy I'd say that as it will set peoples minds at rest that it isn't the horse's fault, let them see that they have a fair few months crack and potential to help out while you have a little one.

pookie

Visit site
Can't add much more than the advice you've been given, but just wondering how much financial contribution you're asking for? Could that be off-putting in some way?

Tickles

Visit site
You might want to put something about why you can't ride.

E.g. Like JunoXV said "I'm looking for a confident reliable share for this loving mare to continue her education. Unlimited riding available as I am currently unable to ride *due to pregnancy/non-riding injury/being at uni/whatever*."

It isn't really anyone's business but it could let people know how long the share is likely to last and that you aren't in a wheelchair becasue of anything this young horse did!

If you have the space also put things like
* facilities at yard
* what she can/can't do (hacking & schooling but no jumping?)
* if you require a financial contribution/chores

PaddyMonty

Visit site
I have to add that your average sharer is unlikely to jump at a 17.3 recetly backed 5yo chestnut mare. Too big, too green, too young etc. I wont go in to the chestnut mare prejudice.
That said there are people out there that would be interested. They are just few and far between and are tbh less likely to make a financial contribution.
Now if you'd been near me I would have been interested but would have wanted assurances about what was on offer once you return to riding.

mineon

Visit site
Thanks Katt

I think i need someone to write me an advert lol, def think i will have to amend details, she is only for loan due as i'm in foal.
Think i'll have to have a think

Kat

Visit site
If it is due to pregnancy then you should say as it is obviously not the horse's fault and gives an idea of time scale and type of arrangement. You could probably say that the loan is for x months (say two months after your due date??) but that there would be opportunities to share thereafter. You may be quite glad of some extra help from someone competent who knows your horse when you are tied up with a small baby.

Faithkat

Visit site
17.3hh might put a few people off too. That's a LOT of horse!

I sympathise with the principle though. I tried to find someone to just ride my horse a few years ago. No financial contribution required, just free riding. I only had one reply from someone who didn't even know how to tack up . . . . .

mineon

Visit site
How dose this sound i don't want to put i'm pregnant.

Part loan 17.3hh Manchester
5 yrs old Mare backed this year good to hack alone or in company, she is green but nothing bothers her takes everything in her stride.
I''m looking for a confident reliable person for this loving mare to continue her education. Unlimited riding.
all weather school with lights so no problems on dark evenings, she has no complication vices or bad habits no restrictions on what she can do.
I am looking for long term loan but would consider short term to the right person.

Kat

Visit site
How about something like this:

Part Loan/Share Manchester Area (could you give a better idea of area north/south etc)
17.3hh 5 year old (breed/type) mare. Due to owners pregnancy this willing, quick to learn mare needs a confident, reliable rider to continue her education. Although she was only backed early this year she is hacking out alone and in company and is generally unfazed by new challenges. The right person would be able to do 100% of the riding of this fantastic youngster for xx months, with a prospect of continuing a couple of days a week thereafter. A small financial contribution is asked to cover expenses and the rider would be expected to (insert any stable chores needed) as well. There is great off road hacking, an all weather school, and the right rider may be able to do some local competitions, fun rides etc.

Contact X on xxxxxxxxx to discuss further.

I'd work out what it would cost you to turn her away for six months and what it costs to keep her in work and charge the difference but reduce it or waive it for the right person.

I wouldn't mention her colour, it isn't relevent and being chestnut could put somone off, her type/breed is relevent as it affects weight carrying so put this in. Also if you would not consider a confident teenager put in Adults only. Mention anything else relevent for example if she is home kept and on a private yard or at full livery, whether there is company to hack with, etc