Loaning questions

Cop-Pop

Visit site
So the pony is advertised for loan :( and as Ive never loaned anything before Im a bit worried about it. Obviously the home will be vetted and I'll want references but do I ask for a deposit? She's not insured atm - should I do that or should the loaners? Are 'visitation rights' agreed or do I just email/do drive bys? I was going to print off the contract from the BHS website - isthis one ok or should I make amendments?

I don't want her to go :( so can anyone tell me the secret of keeping horses for free please? :p

Ginger Bear

Visit site
My horse was on full loan until the owner signed him over to me.. She had to ring me for visits etc but she was about an hour away & I used to email her photos & updates on him so she didn't bother coming to visit. I had to insure him too.. I don't know if all full loans are they same though. And yes that's the loan agreement we had.

PC Steele

Visit site
I have loaned a couple of my horses and have had good and bad experiences!!! If you dont want to loan make sure you have exhausted all other avenues, working livery etc.If you still have to do it you can use the BHS loan agreement it is the best one Ive seen and my horse is on loan at the moment, it covers pretty much everything but you can amend it if you like. If your not insured get the loaners to insure for vets fees, public liability etc as they will have to pay out for those but you take out insurance for Death and straying, loss of use if you want to because it is your horse and you want the money if god forbid that happens. Just be absolutely sure in your own mind that it is the right home im sure it will be fine:)

shadylady69

Visit site
hi im sorry to hear you need to loan your loved one out. the person who has the horse on loan should have to insure them i used the bhs contract before. i rather it where i could just turn up when ever i wanted just to make sure horse is ok if you have planned visit they could hide things from you well that how i felt anyways

Sheep

Visit site
I've never paid a deposit.

In the past when loaning, I have been liable for all costs incurred in keeping the horse. Feed, shoeing, and insurance. It is imperative that the horse is insured; you may wish to ask the loanee to take out insurance on the horse, cover commencing on the day s/he is due to go to them.

References and vetting are a good idea, so you'll be happy to know where the horse is going. Keep on good terms with the loanees, and where possible try to visit every once in a while. This is good because it lets them know you do care about the horse, and if it were me, I would be more than happy to let the owner come and see (when I loaned the first time, I had met the owner twice- the second time the day I went to get the horse- and she only came to see him about a week before he went back, which I thought was crazy).

Be open with them about what you expect. You may wish to read through the BHS example and see if there are any amendments / additions you wish to make. Ask the loanee if they have anything they'd like to include as well. By being inclusive and asking them for feedback, you can get an idea of what they are like. It's good to keep the lines of communication open, so that they will want to keep in touch with you about the horse's progress.

The danger with paying a deposit, I would think, is that if there were any problems they might then later insist that they had paid you for the horse.

All I can think of for now.

PS: Insurance: ask them to make sure the tack you give them is insured too!

bluestar

Visit site
In my experiance, the owner has come to visit, came along to shows sometimes and was still a part of the horses life. I did the insurance,etc, but it was nice knowing that the owner still cared and wanted to see her horse doing well. I would'nt have loaned mine out (when i had them) or been a loaner if I didnt get along with the people I was dealing with. I think thats a big part of it. I hope that helps! :D

Sheep

Visit site
In my experiance, the owner has come to visit, came along to shows sometimes and was still a part of the horses life. I did the insurance,etc, but it was nice knowing that the owner still cared and wanted to see her horse doing well. I would'nt have loaned mine out (when i had them) or been a loaner if I didnt get along with the people I was dealing with. I think thats a big part of it. I hope that helps! :D

Yeah that's exactly what I was trying to say. It makes the arrangement much more pleasant!

Cuffey

Visit site
The conditions are wharever you decide, the BHS contract is a draft of ideas to build on
Do get contract signed by both parties and witnessed

Do ask to see Household bills (you need proof they are who they say they are)
Do take pictures of loanee with your horse
Do associate yourself with your horse on Nedonline and state on loan not to be sold
Do freezemark/microchip or both
Do photocopy passport

Do read through loan advice on
http://www.missinghorsesonloan.co.uk/

When we had a pony on loan the owners continued to pay her insurance
They visited, both arranged and ''on spec''
We told them when she would be at a competition and the owners often came to watch but stayed in the background until the XC completed.

PoniesRock

Visit site
I have my pony on loan. And I pay for her as if she was mine. I pay for her insurance as well - It's in the loan contract that I have to insure her. I don't insure her tack as she has a synthetic saddle which isn't worth much and to add it to my insurance each month they wanted another £8 a month, and seen as its locked up and kept very secure I decided (and discussed with her owner) not to insure her tack.

Also in the loan contract is that I have to have her teeth done every year and other medical stuff - ie vaccinations up to date.

In the contract it says she has unlimited visits and they can be unplanned. But I've had Dee almost 4 years and now I think she must trust me, and I don't think she's seen her since the last time I had a lesson (Her owner also gives me lessons)

I like the fact that there is a person on the end of the phone if/when things go wrong. And especially when I first got Dee it was very much needed! Now I know Dee inside out and like to think I know what I'm doing :p

PoniesRock

Visit site
I have my pony on loan. And I pay for her as if she was mine. I pay for her insurance as well - It's in the loan contract that I have to insure her. I don't insure her tack as she has a synthetic saddle which isn't worth much and to add it to my insurance each month they wanted another £8 a month, and seen as its locked up and kept very secure I decided (and discussed with her owner) not to insure her tack.

Also in the loan contract is that I have to have her teeth done every year and other medical stuff - ie vaccinations up to date.

In the contract it says she has unlimited visits and they can be unplanned. But I've had Dee almost 4 years and now I think she must trust me, and I don't think she's seen her since the last time I had a lesson (Her owner also gives me lessons)

I like the fact that there is a person on the end of the phone if/when things go wrong. And especially when I first got Dee it was very much needed! Now I know Dee inside out and like to think I know what I'm doing :p

Cop-Pop

Visit site
Thanks for all the help guys :) I've possibly got someone coming to see her tomorrow *wibble*

What happens about passports? Presumably the loaners need it so do I just ring WPCS and say she's being loaned out and the name on there isn't to be changed?

Boxers

Visit site
I have a horse on loan and used the BHS Agreement.

I pay for EVERYTHING for him as if he were my own. I pay for the insurance and the vaccinations, shoes, etc - ALL of it.

The passport must stay with the horse and so you will have to hand it to the person who loans your horse.

Make sure you check out the place where the horse will be kept before you offer him to the loaner.

List all the tack and rugs you are sending with him, so that you get it all back.

Once he has gone away, visit him unannounced after about a week, and then visit him monthly. (My horse's owner has only seen him about 4 times in 2.5 years! and this has been when I've invited her).

Good luck tomorrow.

Cop-Pop

Visit site
Place will be very well vetted! Im considering these people as theyre in the same town as my friend who I see every weekend so they might see quite a lot of me at first! :D

Boulty

Visit site
Hey there, definitely vet the loaners, visit the yard where they're going to keep him etc. I'd say definitely discuss visitation rights and get a loan contract drawn up stating who pays for what, what terms must be met (ie regular shoeing, vaccs, vet care!), list any tack & rugs that go with him (helpful in case of anything going missing) and what the notice period is if they decide to give him back at some point. The BHS contract has all this in it and can be altered and played with to suit your needs. With the insurance that's up to you and there are several ways of going about it. One is for you to continue paying it (I do this as I like to know my horse is always insured no matter what), another is to leave insurance in your name and have it coming out of your bank but have the loaners pay you whatever it is costing or you could just leave them to sort it out totally by themselves. The passport should be kept with the horse, so that should go with him when he travels and be handed over to the loaner (as has been mentioned you could contact passport issuer and inform them he is on loan). Other things to consider are if there are any restrictions you want to place on loaners about anything you're not happy for them to do with your horse

mollyh

Visit site
Definitely have it in the contract that you can visit unannounced anytime during daylight hours. I also think it is a good idea to speak to the yard owner/manager about the agreement and check they are ok with you coming onto the yard without problems. The loaner has to understand that you are not 'checking up on them' in a bad way by turning up without notice and it's not personal it's just something you feel is necessary given all the horror stories that are around about loaning. If they are going to look after your horse the way you want it looking after then they won't have any problem at all with this.

Having experienced loaning out my horse I know it is essential that you have a good relationship with the loaner.

I think asking for a monthly update with pictures and a bit about how things are going/what they've been doing is a good idea but do what makes you feel comfortable. If you have any questions, feel free to PM.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Sorry if butting in here: I'm in the process of loaning my boy so all of this is very relevant. Am just wondering if anyone here who's loaned out their horse RIDES it when you visit, or have an arrangement for the owner to ride on either an occasional or regular basis.

Its just that with my boy, we do a lot of solo hacking, and if he went to a loan home where he was always ridden in company and for whatever reason it didn't work out, then I'd want him to have kept up solo hacking coz if not regularly ridden solo could take a helluva job to get him back to it if needed, and I'm wondering whether it would be acceptable to stipulate on the loan agreement that owner to ride the horse say once a month? or whatever?

I don't know how most loanees would see this however? Feedback invited ......

mollyh

Visit site
I'm wondering whether it would be acceptable to stipulate on the loan agreement that owner to ride the horse say once a month? or whatever?

I don't know how most loanees would see this however? Feedback invited ......

You can suggest whatever you want that makes you feel comfortable about the loan. If they agree to it then fine, if not, you have to decide if you would be happy not knowing whether or not they are regularly hacking him out alone as you would wish. Some agreements do include that the owner can ride occasionally - it's up to you really.

Last edited:

ngrace

Visit site
The BHS contract is not watertight - it is an example contract, and will not stand up in court. Obviously it's better than nothing, the loanee's might not realise it won't stand up in court, so hopefully they will abide by it none the wiser. It's more like a way of having the rules written down clearly. If you want a proper contract, pay a small fee to a solicitor, they will draw up a proper one.

Make sure you list EVERYTHING in the contract - from date of start/termination of loan, that you can take him back at any point if he is being mistreated, that they must give a months notice to send him back, what they pay for, where he is to be kept - if they have to get permission to move him even if its just for a short period for a competition etc, what activities they may use him for and more importantly what they may not, who is allowed to ride him, what tack/rugs/boots you give them and the value of it, the fact that they must be returned in good condition, or replaced. Any feed/care requirements that must be adhered too, your unlimited visitation rights.......you get the idea!

Good luck, it will all be OK if you vet them thoroughly, check often at first and keep checking occasionally after the first few months. Any sign that somethings up, get in there. Talk to YO too and make sure they know he is your horse, not the loaners.

McNally

Visit site
Its such a shame loaning seems to be getting a bad reputation. I loaned both my horses to different people. The first when i was pregnant and the second when i had the baby and came to the conclusion i couldnt give him enough proper time (no close family and partner was working 7 days per wk so screaming baby came too the yard)
First loan was brilliant he was near my parents so when i went to visit them i called to see him aswell- went brilliantly for years until he became so old i wanted him back to spoil a bit! Second loan i screwed up- I trusted the loanee too much and let her take him before i visited as my car broke down when i was supposed to go and vet the place....he died at her house soon after and was instantly burried, to this day i wonder...
I loaned a horse and we loved her to bits- nothing was too much for her and she was maybe cared for better than my "real" horse as she was elderly and not in the best of health.
Loans can and do work- they can be a brilliant way of keeping hold of your beloved horse whilst circumstances do not allow you to- always giving the option of having him back.
Just be sure to take all the above advice and do things correctly- follow your gut instinct if you dont feel happy about anything.
Good luck, hope it all works out for you