Loaning to teens

moonmarker02

Visit site
Hi,
I was just wondering about why there’s so many people that refuse to loan to teenagers and what the reasons behind it are? I’m interested in any stories you have to support your thoughts :)

JJS

Visit site
To me, it would depend on how old the teen was, and whether they were financially independent or not. I got my first horse on loan at 18, who was later gifted to me. With the exception of the first few months when I was finishing my A-levels, I paid for everything, never having to rely on my parents to help. That meant that I was able to take complete responsibility.
Were I ever to loan one of my four out, I'd consider someone in the same position, but wouldn't be willing to hand their care over into the hands of anyone younger. I've seen too many instances of teens loaning, and then either losing interest, finding that too much of their time is taken up by exams, or discovering that their non-horsey parents underestimated the costs involved and no longer want to keep on paying them. On that basis, I'd only consider adults who were capable of making adult decisions.

be positive

Visit site
It depends very much on the circumstances and how involved the parents are, over 16's may be capable of financing themselves, insuring the horse and having a contract with the owner as well as the livery yard but under 16's cannot take on a horse without parental input because they are unable to have the insurance or contracts in their name and I think some of the negative replies on here are for those reasons, it doesn't matter how keen they are if the parents are not supportive most owners would be foolish to take the risk.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
My homebred is loaned out to a home where she is ridden by a teen (who was 13yo at the start of the loan, is now 15yo).

However, the loan is to her very experienced parent who has responsiblity for my mare's care and management. I would not loan directly to a school age teen.

rara007

Visit site
I have loaned to teens and adults and would do the same again. The two main limitations of loaning to a teen is they’re totally dependent on their family for support and transport (this was a competition pony). The other that part loaned a cob was (understandably) pretty childish in her approach and the mother didn’t know enough to enforce basic health and safety. Again, also fully reliant on (busy) mother to bring her here.

Shay

Visit site
I would have no issue with age - but I do insist that parents are knowledgeable and involved. The only exception to that was an 18 year old in her last year of A levels. She was probably one of the best we have had. An 18 year old on our yard has a full loan and has had since she was 16. She does magnificently despite the lack of parental support.

bluedanube

Visit site
Hi,
I was just wondering about why there’s so many people that refuse to loan to teenagers and what the reasons behind it are? I’m interested in any stories you have to support your thoughts :)
As a neuroscientist I won’t loan directly to anyone under 25, that way I can be sure that their frontal lobes have ‘come online’ and they will be far less likely to take stupid risks with my horse or themselves...:))

Flicker

Visit site
As a neuroscientist I won’t loan directly to anyone under 25, that way I can be sure that their frontal lobes have ‘come online’ and they will be far less likely to take stupid risks with my horse or themselves...:))

This. The problem solving and risk assessment functions in teenagers’ brains are often not sufficiently developed to stop them from acting selfishly, irresponsibly or impulsively. Unless they have very clear boundaries and consistent supervision their actions can sometimes cause harm and upset (even though they aren’t done maliciously).

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Hi,

Well Speaking from Experience and what I have seen.

I would not loan to a teen unless I knew them well.

1. They have little respect for the terms of the loan.
2. Often let others ride the horse regardless of the contract, as they rarely read it and cannot sign it due to age.
3. Gallop or go for fast hacks and don't take ground conditions into consideration.
4. Won't clean the horse at all or properly after they finished
5. Don't clean the tack
6. Won't put ALL the equipment on which the owners want's on the horse when ridden or led
7. Hacking is a risk I am not prepared to take given the horses I have
8. Parents often just don't want to stay with a minor and expect me to babysit them
9 They take unnecessary risks
10. Don't follow yard rules
11. Too much of a head ache.

Last edited:

Kat

Visit site
I think that it is a shame that so many have a blanket ban on teens but do understand some of the reasons.

I know several teens who would be/are brilliant loaners and who have a supportive and involved parents. If looking for a loaner you could easily miss out on some great opportunities by banning teens, especially if you need a lightweight rider.

Having said that I am well aware that there are plenty of teens who would be a nightmare!

ponies4ever

Visit site
I am myself a teenager so thought I would input. I am the only horsey person in my family so am fully responsible for the care of my horse and like to think I am just a reliable and sensible as most adults. I pay for my horses and all equipment so it is in my best interest to take good care of both! I have worked on yards and have been payed to school various horses in the past. I would however be vary wary of loaning to a lot teenagers as I've seen what they do when they think no one is watching. I currently have my first pony out on loan to a 13 year old and am very happy. I would be mortified if I was associated with any of the things ILC listed!

asmp

Visit site
I used to let a teenager ride our pony some years ago. Thought she was sensible until I had a phone call saying pony had been seen on an estate with all the kids having a go.

Lintel

Visit site

Haha, fair point but mildy offensive to is younger and sensible owners!
I would also be a bit anti teen.. but in my opinion that probably because I "stereotype".

Orangehorse

Visit site
I was very responsible as a teenager, and teenagers can be very focused and work hard at what they are interested in, so it is a bit difficult to have a blanket ban. The trouble is sorting the good ones from the less good as they will all be very keen to start with.

moonmarker02

Visit site
Thanks for all your responses, I am actually a teenager and I was interested in the responses. I have actually never done the things listed when I’ve loaned so maybe I’m just more responsible for my age? I can definitely see your points though, I know several people I’d be a bit wary of loaning to purely because they do mess around a lot and I wouldn’t want to risk anything. Thank you for your input and I’ll be sure to try not to do any of the negatives listed 😂