Loaning - what happens to tack?

julesjoy

Visit site
I'm thinking of loaning out a pony soon. When she was backed I had a saddle made and fitted especially to her. Other than the pony, it's probably the most expensive thing I own, pony related. Should I send it on loan with the pony? Is there a way to prevent it being sold, or replaced if damaged by loaner?

wills_91

Visit site
When I had a horse on full loan I had his tack including expensive saddle. There was a bit in the loan agreement which covered tack it's so long ago I can't remember the ins and out but ultimately I was responsible for making sure it was returned in good condition.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Make a list of everything that goes with the pony, give one copy to the person taking the pony and keep another copy yourself, now everyone has a camera, take photos as well. An expensive saddle would be insured? There is going to be a bit of wear, but the tack should be returned in full, in good condition. Put that in the Loan Agreement.

kc921

Visit site
You normally send tack with the horse,
Not sure why they would sell it as it would be yours?
Make up a contract and add in there all your stuff, all tack items, rug, feed bins whatever it may be to protect it in case of damage and state in there that nothing of the horses/yours is to be sold or if damage it is to be replaced by the exact same thing

Jellymoon

Visit site
I think you should send all his tack and rugs so you know they fit and he’s comfortable. You don’t want them putting a saddle on him that doesn’t fit, or rugs that rub.
Usually, al tack will be listed in the contract. BHS does one you can print out.

julesjoy

Visit site
Thank you all, lots of good ideas, wouldn't have thought of photos or security marking! You've all said exactly why I'd want to send it, just want to be covered.

J&S

Visit site
My NF pony went on loan for a while when I first moved to Devon (figured one hore was enough of a shock to the system of new patner!). Her tack went with her and came back fine and I also got a couple of really good rugs as loan family were some thing to do with Horseware Ireland.

Visit site
Just write it all into the contract stating each item exactly. If something gets broken or wears out over time the loaner replaces it.

I have always sent tack with any of mine that have been loaned if they have it.

julesjoy

Visit site
Thank you very much everyone, I'll get organised with photos and security marking before I advertise the loan. Tbh the bridle could be better and the only other thing is a headcollar so the saddle really is my main tack concern, less easy to 'just' get another for a wide, short backed, small pony (hence also it needs to go with pony). First time doing this so thanks again!

Smiffypig

Visit site
Don’t forgot to include something in the contract about replacing/renewing tack.

I loaned my old pony out whilst I was at uni, went with full tack, came back without a bridle, fair enough they’d had him for 4 years and it wasn’t new to start with - they’d replaced mine with their own but then kept it when they sent him back because it was theirs.

Which then left me bridle-less, not as annoying as a saddle but if they’d said he needed a new bridle I would have bought him one so I knew he had a complete set of tack.

fidleyspromise

Visit site
I have a loan horse now and she came with rugs, tack, a feed bucket and grooming kit. Everything is itemised on an agreement (BHS) and I've already replaced her girth as felt hers to be wrong shape for her. Anything I buy for her as a replacement I'm putting her stuff in a box so its not lost and can be returned with her at the end.

PSD

Visit site
Definitely look into insuring it. My pony went on loan a few years back with everything you can imagine, she came back with a girth, martingale and bit. I was absolutely fuming but there was nothing I could do despite it all being listed in the contract. When I went to collect her, their other pony had her rug on! Bad luck for me though, not everyone is like that.

fiwen30

Visit site
Definitely send the saddle which fits. I foolishly didn’t have anything in writing for tack & equipment when I had a horse on loan, and a few months in the owner phoned up wanting her saddle back for her other horse! I ended up spending a fortune on another saddle + fittings etc., for a horse that I only had for a few more months.