Loans!

SaddleUpSin

Visit site
I took a lovely little pony on loan (who really is a bit too small for me) and his owners want the saddle back, so I'm going to send the pony back too as it's unfair on me. But I'm really struggling to find anything 15hh+ on loan in the South West/Dorset area and its frustrating :( I well and truly dedicate everything to horses in my care and I could offer a great home but I can't find anything suitable! Anyone else had this problem? Have looked at local FB pages and websites.

Geek

Visit site
Can you not get a new saddle for the pony? If you buy second hand then you can sell it on again for the same value if you buy wisely and look after it well.

LHIS

Visit site
Second hand saddle? Have you looked at what your current saddle is selling for second hand?
That seems to me the logical answer rather than sending a pony that you enjoy and works well for you back, unless pony is much too small for you - what is the pony, hh and build, and your height/build?

SaddleUpSin

Visit site
I only planned to have him for a short while until I got my confidence back, say a year or so, because realistically, I'm quite tall on him (5'8 on 13.2hh) but they're really pushing me by expecting me to buy a saddle 4 months in.

SaddleUpSin

Visit site
I can't afford to buy my own horse currently hence why I'm looking for a loan or possibly LWVTB so that when I can afford the upfront cost of a horse and its tack etc. I have the experience of caring for one as my own from loaning.

oldie48

Visit site
Gosh, they have put their lovely pony on loan to you but expect you to provide your own saddle! How selfish and unreasonable of them. Send the pony back, buy your own and provide your own tack then you won't have to deal with such inconsiderate people.

ihatework

Visit site
Gosh, they have put their lovely pony on loan to you but expect you to provide your own saddle! How selfish and unreasonable of them. Send the pony back, buy your own and provide your own tack then you won't have to deal with such inconsiderate people.

I'm hoping that was sarcasm!

SpringArising

Visit site
To be honest, if I were the owner I would take the saddle back and get another one for the pony myself. I wouldn't want someone to buy any old thing and stick it on and I also wouldn't really feel right saying "I want the saddle back - sort the rest out yourself".

SaddleUpSin

Visit site
The pony belongs to my friend who's outgrown him, the saddle belongs to her mother who didn't want the saddle coming with him. Me and my friend discussed the issue beforehand and we agreed that she would sort the issue with her mum so that his saddle would come with him otherwise I wouldn't have got involved. But I've had messages off her asking whether I've saved for a saddle and her mother asking me if I was saving for a saddle at my workplace 2 weeks into the loan (when I was still under the impression that his saddle would stay with him). They also sent him without any flu or tetanus jabs which I've had to pay for for the welfare of the pony. Still no sign of his passport either.

But the main issue for me being that because I was so smitten with him I refused to believe that I was too tall for him but it effects my balance when doing anything other than flatwork and small crosspoles. He needs to go and be some little girl's 2nd pony and do pony club rallies and gymkhanas because he's wonderful but realistically for me I need to accept that I'm only going to get taller and heavier. I had a friend's 12 year old sister come out to ride him and at 5' tall she was perfect on him, she adored him and he was a superstar.

I have never called them selfish or unreasonable but when you write a loan contract to say that a horse or pony comes with it's tack it is misleading to suddenly decide you want to take it back again. I am not a rude or immature person and I have never done anything wrong towards them or the pony. But the point of my post being that there seems to be a lack of larger horses for loan which is frustrating as really I need something that will take my leg. The saddle thing is more of a frustration because of the fact I was led to believe that the saddle would stay with him for the duration of the loan as stated in the contract.

And this is why the horse world is known as bitchy. Because of this assumption that everyone's a bad person.

I am 5'8 and although I am not too heavy for him with stirrups my feet rest bellow his belly and without a saddle they rest by his knees. I am totally in love with him but we're not right for each other. I don't want a horsie shape hole in my life when he goes home or to his new loaner but I don't want to chose another that I feel uncomfortable riding therefore I am frustrated that a lot of lovely horses up for loan are too small for me.

He's a new forest pony but not your stocky type. New Forests are meant to carry more weight than suggested but I'm pushing 20% of his bodyweight without tack and he's currently overweight from the summer grass as he's a very good doer. He also headshakes (even with net, and magnesium, and nasal spray) which is worse where I have moved him due to the fact that previously we were near the sea which helped keep the pollen down and where we are is in a valley with loads of plant life and higher pollen which means he's also more uncomfortable where I have him, which is gutting because I hate seeing him in pain and trying to scrape his nose on everything.

My initial post was short as I needed an outlet due to the fact I feel so guilty about sending him back and frustrated and confused and alone and just needed some kind of interaction with people. But now I just feel worse because clearly I am a horrible person because I can't afford a saddle for a short term loan pony or my own horse and tack for said horse. When I am 21 and my minimum wage is immediately more I will consider looking to buy.

SaddleUpSin

Visit site
They have not offered to replace the saddle, they intend on using it on one of their others (they breed so have 10-15 others if not more). They regularly take horses/ponies out showing across the country.

I moved out but then had to either move home or give up the pony as I couldn't afford to feed myself. I have no financial help. I've got a small amount put back for vet bills/dentist (who he hasnt seen since last year) but I don't want to pay out a good couple hundred for a saddle and fitter then be hit with an emergency vet bill. My dad has parkinsons disease and my mum is is his carer (which pays less than being unemployed on the dole) so I cannot and will not lean on them for financial support as it was my choice to take on a horse (which I do not regret as it has lifted my entire life), so being pressed to pay out for something by his owners that I had never expected to have to pay for has thrown me off guard and yes I am rather ticked off.

And I am ranting. Sorry all.

Elbie

Visit site
Op - I did think some of the responses were harsh without knowing the full story (i.e. loan agreement in place etc)

Your first post did sound like you just sending him back because they want the saddle back ("his owners want the saddle back, so I'm going to send the pony back too as it's unfair on me") which is why I imagine some of the responses were posted as they were.

Have you tried sites like preloved and horsemart? Often have loans on there or share horses

Elbie

Visit site
PS - given the situation, I too would be miffed at being asked to return the saddle. Fair enough if when you took the loan out they told you you'd need to buy one yourself but you have been slighlty mislead thinking it was all dealt with.

But as you say, the pony is not a good fit for you so it would be best to find a new loan anyway

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
OP, I would send pony back too. he does sound lovely, but a tad on the small side for you.

Then try to get a share with someone, whilst you save up some funds - as anyone owning or loaning really does need a cushion of something and if you dont have even around 200 or so now to spare for a 2nd hand saddle, then you could get in a right old pickle down the line if you need to pay out for unplanned events such as: replace damaged rugs, pay out more for bedding, the odd vets bill etc

Last edited:

SaddleUpSin

Visit site
Op - I did think some of the responses were harsh without knowing the full story (i.e. loan agreement in place etc)

Your first post did sound like you just sending him back because they want the saddle back ("his owners want the saddle back, so I'm going to send the pony back too as it's unfair on me") which is why I imagine some of the responses were posted as they were.

Have you tried sites like preloved and horsemart? Often have loans on there or share horses

I realise now that maybe I was a bit short in my initial post but I guess that was because I only wanted a quick outlet of stress. Possibly should have put a little more time into it!
I've looked at horsemart, preloved, NFED, here, horsequest, horses4homes etc. but where I am (Dorset) suitable horses seem few and far between as I have no transport and obviously my parents can't afford to drive either which really limits me as to how far I can look!

Bernster

Visit site
I also think you've had some harsh replies on here, but it's hard not having all the info and agree with Elbie that your post might have come across in a way you didn't intend. Anyway, if this pony isn't right for you, I can understand why you wouldn't want to invest in tack for it (and I'd prefer to loan any horse with it's own properly fitted tack than rely on the loaner to stump up the cash for what might turn out to be a badly fitting one). I suspect there are more ponies out there as you get the types that have been outgrown but they don't want to sell. You might find a slightly bigger pony that takes up more leg if you are only after something for a year. Good luck.

SaddleUpSin

Visit site
This is Woody and myself cuddling him

11214258_1650864745129939_6189615457878382306_n.jpg

If I could afford to have two I would keep him forever. But where I don't feel comfortable I'm less motivated to ride which is unfair on him as not only is he lovely, he is smart and needs his mind active. My friends younger sister is coming to ride him a few times a week until he goes home and it means she can have some fun too!

SaddleUpSin

Visit site
I also think you've had some harsh replies on here, but it's hard not having all the info and agree with Elbie that your post might have come across in a way you didn't intend. Anyway, if this pony isn't right for you, I can understand why you wouldn't want to invest in tack for it (and I'd prefer to loan any horse with it's own properly fitted tack than rely on the loaner to stump up the cash for what might turn out to be a badly fitting one). I suspect there are more ponies out there as you get the types that have been outgrown but they don't want to sell. You might find a slightly bigger pony that takes up more leg if you are only after something for a year. Good luck.

My plan was to have him for about a year then find a bigger horse that I could really progress with but he's brought my confidence up so much! I would nearly be sick at the thought of jumping a 1ft crosspole but he took me over 2'6 the other week. I would never have dreamt I could do that and from a 13.2hh it felt huge!

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
OP I'm sorry, but I think you're going to have to do what a number of the rest of us has have done: Accept that at the moment you cannot afford a horse. Use it as an incentive to save towards one, try volunteering at your local venues and become a non-riding member of an RC, that way you will probably meet people and be able to spend times with and ride others horses but at the moment sorry, financially you really can't do it.

SaddleUpSin

Visit site
OP I'm sorry, but I think you're going to have to do what a number of the rest of us has have done: Accept that at the moment you cannot afford a horse. Use it as an incentive to save towards one, try volunteering at your local venues and become a non-riding member of an RC, that way you will probably meet people and be able to spend times with and ride others horses but at the moment sorry, financially you really can't do it.

I'm currently looking for a better job because at 5.30 an hour, many places would pay more. Its just a case of finding one :/

LHIS

Visit site
I agree with others - pony too small unfortunately. Like others have suggested, though being horse-less is horrible (I had 3 years without a sniff of a horse, but like you had a crappy wage and had to pay for my little house and feed myself - things will get better) turn this into a positive thing to spur you on. Find a better wage, a job that you enjoy if you can, save what you can and in the meantime keep your eye out for any suitable horses in your area.
Try and volunteer at a riding school, or befriend a local with some horses to get your fix - keep your hand in (even if you're not riding) and something will come up, and in the meantime you can save pennies for when it does. Good luck x

P.s I agree with you, horse world is a catty place, especially for those of us who aren't from a horsey background (me included). Chin up OP x

Last edited:

oldie48

Visit site
OP your first post made you sound rather spoiled and ungrateful, hence my sarcastic reply. People put their horses and ponies out for loan for a variety of reasons and generally expect the loaner to pay all costs including insurance, worming, shoeing and vaccinations. I have loaned out a horse on a couple of occasions because I knew the horse would not pass a vetting, was not a novice ride and I knew he could easily end up in the wrong hands if he got sold on. I knew the first girl well and had references for the second one from someone I trust completely. I didn't pass on the saddle as it fitted another horse. The first loaner sent him back after 6 months and the second loaner got on very well with him, knew of his heath issues and I eventually, after a couple of years passed ownership onto her. She had him until he was PTS. If he had been a straightforward horse I would have sold him and put some money in my bank! I don't know where people get the idea that there are lots of lovely straightforward horses out there waiting for people to pop up and loan. IMHE many of the horses for loan have issues of some sort or are proving too much for their owner or need to be "brought on" by someone more experienced. Much loved ponies do frequently go out on loan when they are outgrown and the family can't bear to part with it and sometimes horses go out on loan when their owners are pregnant or finding work responsibilities too much in the short term but I don't think there are masses of easy horses out there. I do know of a lovely cob for loan, he's 15.1, fairly straightforward but can be a bit cheeky if given an "inch" but the owner will only loan to someone who is willing to keep him on the same yard as she wants to be assured that he is being well cared for. I know of horses that have come back from loan in a dreadful state with tack that has never been cleaned etc. I'm sure you wouldn't be like that but sadly lots are. I hope you find something that suits you but if you had a lovely 15hh horse suitable for a relative novice to ride, would you be happy about loaning it out to a complete stranger? Incidentally, being able to ride isn't a human right, it's a privilege that has to be paid for and many of us had to wait many many years before we could do it on a regular basis.

Michen

Visit site
OP if you don't have access to a credit card or someone who can help financially, or q bit of savings and you have a pony which is uninsured to vet bills it's not a good situation to be in. What if he gets a field injury tomorrow and you have no way of paying the vet if you can't get bailed out by a parent or overdraft etc?

send the pony back and save up what you would have spent on his keep for the next few weeks so you have something to fall back on. Good luck x

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
When you have saved some more money as a cushion for emergencies, it might be worth contacting one of the Charities which loan horses to suitable homes. In the meantime volunteering with RDA could give you a horsey fix and help you to make friends within the horse world, who, in turn, might know of a suitable horse for you.
I can quite understand why you need some horse time, given your family circumstances.

oldie48

Visit site
I think this is a very good suggestion, the horsey world is not bitchy or catty in my experience but we do like to know who we are dealing with and that they are reliable and trustworthy. Over the years I've had several girls come to ride my horses. I didn't want money or stable chores from them but I wanted commitment and in return I was prepared to let them ride a safe, well schooled horse. I've paid for lessons, let them pay for lessons themselves, I've taken them to competitions and paid the entry fees. I had someone to hack out with me (I don't like hacking alone) my horses got exercised and I have made long lasting friends. Every one of them came through a recommendation. Make yourself useful, friendly and let people know you are keen to ride and who knows what might happen!
When you have saved some more money as a cushion for emergencies, it might be worth contacting one of the Charities which loan horses to suitable homes. In the meantime volunteering with RDA could give you a horsey fix and help you to make friends within the horse world, who, in turn, might know of a suitable horse for you.
I can quite understand why you need some horse time, given your family circumstances.

Leo Walker

Visit site
I think this is a very good suggestion, the horsey world is not bitchy or catty in my experience but we do like to know who we are dealing with and that they are reliable and trustworthy. Over the years I've had several girls come to ride my horses. I didn't want money or stable chores from them but I wanted commitment and in return I was prepared to let them ride a safe, well schooled horse. I've paid for lessons, let them pay for lessons themselves, I've taken them to competitions and paid the entry fees. I had someone to hack out with me (I don't like hacking alone) my horses got exercised and I have made long lasting friends. Every one of them came through a recommendation. Make yourself useful, friendly and let people know you are keen to ride and who knows what might happen!

I'm always looking for similar people and cant find them for love or money!