Local paper-ad for labradoodle x rottweiler pups-£150

Oneofthepack

Visit site

Yes, in my local paper this week - cross breeds crossed again for £150!!! I wanna ring them up and shout abuse. The world has officially gone mad.
confused.gif

Does this even sound like a nice cross?

kirstyhen

mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk
TBH £150 doesn't bother me that much, if they are too cheap people will buy them without thinking, at least at that price people might think about what they are commiting to, although I doubt it!!

It is silly prices that really bother me - £600 etc!! And the fact that the pups shouldn't have been bred in the first place!!
mad.gif

maddielove

Visit site
Labradoodles regularly go for £500+ around here! Madness!!!
I agree that having them too cheap will attract the wrong sort of folk possibly.

madthing2spyda

www.saxonoak.co.uk
Posh mongrel's........the more they buy the more people will breed.I do get X.........the more end up in rescue kennels........Go to the rescue kennels or give a home to a retired greyhound they are super dogs. Is what I preach
smile.gif

Oneofthepack

Visit site
Personally I don't agree that charging more guarantees a good home. You only have to look at the general types (Iknow it doesn't apply to all!) that have the staffs, dripping in gold chains and driving nice cars and treating their dogs really badly.

There is a man at the end of my road who has 4 dogs that NEVER go out for walks and get shut in one upstairs room all day and he is mega loaded

Oneofthepack

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

And the fact that the pups shouldn't have been bred in the first place!!
mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah that was more my point
mad.gif

PucciNPoni

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Personally I don't agree that charging more guarantees a good home.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I used to think that way myself. However, as my grooming mentor has said to me "A person who is unwilling to pay a decent price for a dog won't pay the money to look after the dog once they have it!" What she meant was that buying the dog was the cheap part - keeping the dog was the expensive part. So if someone might be unwilling to pay say £800 for one of her champion bred pups (poodles, btw) then they probably won't be bothered to spend the money on grooming, vet bills or quality care.

It's just a different way of looking at it. However, in the case of selling "rottendoodles" for any amount, it seems ludicrous to me as they are simply mongrels -- so why the high price? Have they been innoculated? Have the parents been hip scored, eye tested and so forth? To me THAT is what drives the price of quality dogs up, and in my opinion, something that I would be willing to pay for, regardless of the breed (or cross for that matter).

competitiondiva

Visit site
I would pressume it was an accident a labradoodle (sp?) bitch which is a very popular breed due to the hypoallergenic properties of its coat acccidentally got with a rotti dog! I would argue why were either not neutered but as both are regarded as pedigree (even the labradoodle I believe is regarded as a pedigree) maybe they were honestly going to breed from them but to their own breed rather than each other!! I have a labrador x Dalmation both parents were intended for breeding but not with each other! the Dalmation became an escape artist and got out and had the Labrador overnight!!! Cheeky boy! But of course I would recommend neutering to anyone who is not going to intentionally breed from their dog, too many unwanted dogs out there already without adding more to it!

competitiondiva

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Personally I don't agree that charging more guarantees a good home.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I used to think that way myself. However, as my grooming mentor has said to me "A person who is unwilling to pay a decent price for a dog won't pay the money to look after the dog once they have it!" What she meant was that buying the dog was the cheap part - keeping the dog was the expensive part. So if someone might be unwilling to pay say £800 for one of her champion bred pups (poodles, btw) then they probably won't be bothered to spend the money on grooming, vet bills or quality care.

It's just a different way of looking at it. However, in the case of selling "rottendoodles" for any amount, it seems ludicrous to me as they are simply mongrels -- so why the high price? Have they been innoculated? Have the parents been hip scored, eye tested and so forth? To me THAT is what drives the price of quality dogs up, and in my opinion, something that I would be willing to pay for, regardless of the breed (or cross for that matter).

[/ QUOTE ]

If that's the case then why is it that you go to any PDSA hospital and I can guarantee you the majority of dogs there will be pedigree mastiffs, great danes, bulldogs etc etc etc ???

PucciNPoni

Visit site
competitiondiva

I'm fairly certain that labradoodles are not considered "pedigree" in terms of Kennel Club (UK) standards. This is just a fancy name that someone came up with to make it sound sexier (sort of like calling welsh pony x arab Welara or Morgan x Arab Morabs etc - and they might even have their own wee papers that their own breed clubs come out with, but they aren't "pedigree" recognised by the powers that be - in dog terms that's the KC).

I'm not quite sure I understand your point re the bull type breeds at PDSA.
confused.gif

I wholeheartedly agree that there are lots of folks out there that allow their bitches to be mated un-intentionally - and selling the offspring might seem like a good idea? I honestly don't know the answer to this one - perhaps the seller intends that by charging for them they are able to at least somewhat weed out some undesirable would be purchasers. For those that wish to breed the very best that they can for the good of the breed, and that get every genetic testing done prior to mating, charging upwards of £500 and more is one way of doing this. Purchasing a dog is a committment and a high price tries to ensure that the buyer is serious about their new pet. It isn't a money making scheme to serious breeders as many only break even on the sale of pups for what it cost once stud fee/testing/vet care etc are done.

BTW, sadly there is a bit of a misconception about labradoodle coats being hypo-a for allergy suffers. All lab-doo's aren't created equally - I see plenty of them that have labrador coats. Poodles don't moult, neither do Bichon Frise and many other breeds and are more hypo-a than your average backyard breed 'doodle.

FWIW, I'm not doodle bashing - I quite like them as far as mongrels go. I just feel a bit aggrieved by the fact that it's suddenly become so fashionable to have one and those that are breeding them aren't really a) doing their homework b) doing the testing c) informing buyers correctly about their care.

Sorry, off my soapbox now.
blush.gif

competitiondiva

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
competitiondiva

I'm not quite sure I understand your point re the bull type breeds at PDSA.
confused.gif

blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't referring to bull breeds I included Great Danes!! I was just listing a few of the pedigree dogs I have seen in PDSA hospitals, I've also been Dalmations, Rottweillers, Boxers, my point was that people who intend to use the services of the PDSA will pay the high price for a pedigree dog but not be prepared to pay the vets fees associated with owning a dog, therefore your arguement that a high price for a pup/dog usually means a buyer will be happy to pay vets fees etc is not always the case.

Similarly 'free' dogs always attract the spur of the moment people who haven't thought the commitment through what so ever....

Oneofthepack

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

If that's the case then why is it that you go to any PDSA hospital and I can guarantee you the majority of dogs there will be pedigree mastiffs, great danes, bulldogs etc etc etc ???

[/ QUOTE ]

And the rescue centres are full of them too! How many times have we heard or read the story of the hard man (?) who buys a mastiff or bull breed for presumably lots of money, then treats it appalingly and has no idea of how to care for it.

My neighbours have NO money, got an abandoned dog from St.Giles rescue, it gets walked 3 times a day and the daughter is doing a college course in animal care as she wants to go into animal rescue and is working on saturdays to pay for the dogs insurance. Who makes a better owner, them or the man with a grand in his pocket?

foxviewstud

www.foxviewstud.co.uk
oneofthepack i also got a dog from st giles, i was very angry to learn they had lied to us about him!!he is a rottie and a fab dog but being that i had a very young child they should of told us the truth, he was also full of worms!i think the above is a stupid cross, i have heard lately ppl are getting past the dda by crossing the banned breeds which are now being classed as the new knife,bloody scary really!!!

PucciNPoni

Visit site
Don't know why, but my response was deleted? I don't think it was derrogatory or contentious by any means. But somehow it's gone...
confused.gif

PucciNPoni

Visit site
Okay, I'll repost more or less what I had said before (if I can remember it).

To someone who wants to be a responsible breeder (eg does genetic testing, carefully chosen parents for sound conformation etc, hip scores, what have you) and gets the best veterinary care, diet and so forth for their bitch while in whelp, they will want to ensure that they find the best possible homes for them. Sometimes the best homes for those pups are folk without much money, but how do you KNOW that? You can't really. If someone comes along and says they can't afford say £800 for a quality pup, perhaps they won't afford vet care? Or perhaps they won't bother. Maybe it is a way of insuring that the buyer values the dog as much as they as breeders do?

I don't think that good reputable breeders inflate prices for the sake of weeding out lower income folk or whatever. Many breeders that I know barely break even when they sell a litter of pups - but that's not why they breed. They breed for the future of the breed and to see the next generation be better than the current.

BTW, I don't breed dogs...I'm just not interested. However, I do see so many poorly bred dogs in my line of work that I feel really disheartened when I see the state of some of them. It really really irks me when I see folk who just happen to have a dog and a bitch and mate them because they can make a few quid off the pups.
mad.gif

Oneofthepack

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Okay, I'll repost more or less what I had said before (if I can remember it).

To someone who wants to be a responsible breeder (eg does genetic testing, carefully chosen parents for sound conformation etc, hip scores, what have you) and gets the best veterinary care, diet and so forth for their bitch while in whelp, they will want to ensure that they find the best possible homes for them. Sometimes the best homes for those pups are folk without much money, but how do you KNOW that? You can't really. If someone comes along and says they can't afford say £800 for a quality pup, perhaps they won't afford vet care? Or perhaps they won't bother. Maybe it is a way of insuring that the buyer values the dog as much as they as breeders do?

BTW, I don't breed dogs...I'm just not interested. However, I do see so many poorly bred dogs in my line of work that I feel really disheartened when I see the state of some of them. It really really irks me when I see folk who just happen to have a dog and a bitch and mate them because they can make a few quid off the pups.
mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes but my point is the opposite side of the coin, how do you know the person with £800 in his pocket is going to take better care of the dog than a poorer person? Will the rich bloke think he's spent enough money on the dog already, will he not care of his expensive purchase needs vet attention? Or will the poor one spend their last penny making sure the dog gets the best of everything? It's a tough one but it boils down to owners being much more selective when selling the pups at all, and like you said, not just use an accidental mating or a whim as a way of making money.

Oneofthepack

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
oneofthepack i also got a dog from st giles, i was very angry to learn they had lied to us about him!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I don't think they're the best at rehoming, but then they are a council pound and only get paid a certain amount for each dog and after that I think they swallow the cost as some of the dogs have been there yonks. That doesn't excuse them lying to you of course though
frown.gif

foxviewstud

www.foxviewstud.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
oneofthepack i also got a dog from st giles, i was very angry to learn they had lied to us about him!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I don't think they're the best at rehoming, but then they are a council pound and only get paid a certain amount for each dog and after that I think they swallow the cost as some of the dogs have been there yonks. That doesn't excuse them lying to you of course though
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

i was lead to believe they only did rehoming of strays, mine turned out not to have been a stray like they told us and many others arnt either i have since found out. they have also started rehoming for breed societys.never mind at least he isnt there anymore.