Local shows and stallions...

Sparkles

Visit site
Anyone know what the feelings/rulings about this usually are?

I know each show is different etc, but just wondered what the average rule is whilst I await an email back lol. :)

Erin

Visit site
Rules normally say to be ridden/handled by someone 14yrs + (and I know of a few local shows that don't allow stallions at all)

Ranyhyn

Visit site
There's a post in CR about a rider taking her stally to a show and regarding the mean spiritedness she experienced because of being there.

I dont think there is anything wrong with it so long as the rider is in control and the rest of the competitors are able to control THEIR horse, which is more often the problem ;)

Sparkles

Visit site
I'm 21 so that's not a problem....I was wondering about whether it would more safety orientated at local shows [as young kids + ponies, open to all, for fun etc] as to whether stallions would be allowed or not [if that makes sense?]. Stallion I'm thinking of would be his first competing show but he's a well mannered lad and is already ridden with mares etc fine and done a couple of demo type rides at places :) Not that that makes any difference to any rulings in place if there are...but just saying he wouldn't be a hooligan ruining the show, doing naughties with mares, killing off kids or anything :p

miss_c

Visit site
So long as the stallion is well-mannered and under control I wouldn't have thought it a problem! Our local PC show specifies no stallions, but generally they're to be bitted and handled by somebody over a certain age. The only time it bothers me is when my tart of a welsh is in season and at a show earlier this year they wanted me to park beside a lorry with a stallion tied on the side - I refused as G was in season and didn't want to risk it just in case. They did then let me park away from them.

Muchadoaboutnothing

Visit site
It's normally have to be bitted two years and over and be handled by someone from 14-18 years plus. Last show I did I had to put a white ribbon in his tail so everyone knew he was a stallion. Each show normally explains about colts and stallions in their rules.
As someone else said just be careful for the little kids whos naughty pony decides to drag them infront, across or behind you! lol

PennyJ

Visit site
As one who is on the committee of a non aff but v successful local Riding Club, I would say that if you can honestly say hand on heart that your boy is well mannered and sensible, then you won't have many problems taking him to a show like that.

I do feel there is a large sector of the stallion owning folk that absolutely relish all the snorting and prancing and pratting about and really get off on it and shouting at everyone else to keep away because their horse is a STALLION. Such a load of old cobblers - if they can't control it in that sort of situation, either it is ill mannered, ill tempered or too much for the rider/handler to deal with and they should go home.

Can you tell they get short shrift from me, when they ask for special treatment because they are on a STALLION. ;)

Of course you should be sensible too and take precautions such as not leaving him tied onto the trailer unchaperoned whilst you go off and buy a burger, only to find out later there was a shocking tart of a mare tied on to the next trailer intent on having her wicked way with him... But you strike me from what you write as the sort who wouldn't dream of doing that anyway...

Last edited:

Sparkles

Visit site
Thanks, good input!

No, I was planning on taking him just for his classes [which run one after the other if we did both] and that's it :) I'm taking my horse [gelding] as my main one for the day, but there's one or two classes the other fella [stallion] could do for the experience whilst it's local. Was going to run back 30minutes before his class and bring him if he did go, get straight on, warm-up on our own somewhere out the way, do his class and then have him taken home again :)

Edited - all theoretically speaking atm anyway, was just an idea I had earlier when I saw a couple of classes he'd be elidgable for, not checked or anything yet it would be ok :)

Last edited: