Lockable saddle racks?

kittykatcat

Visit site
Hi all,

I've purchased a rather lovely saddle and am a bit worried about leaving it in the tack room. I was taking it home every night but this is unbelievably annoying and I would often turn up to the yard having forgotten it! The tack room is locked but no alarm.

Anyway, thinking about getting a lockable saddle rack. Question - does anyone know if you can buy an attachement to fix to an existing rack, or do you have to purchase a whole rack and fix that to the wall? I'm unsure whether YO will let me do the latter.

Many thanks!

Shay

Visit site
You can get a normal saddle rack with an arm which comes down over the rack to lock - but a thief will just take the entire rack, saddle and all, and pull it apart at their leisure. The same is true of you use a bike lock or other chain. If the rack comes off the wall easily that is what will happen. (Personal experience here...)

The only really secure system we have found is the bulldog saddle stop http://www.laleisure.co.uk/bulldog-saddle-stop-wall-bracket It is impossible to remove quickly and so thieves leave it alone. But you do have to fix it to an immoveable bit of the wall. (And leave it behind if you move yards!) Otherwise might you be able to have a stand alone tack locker? They need to be weighted though - if a thief can move it they'll take the lot and worry about opening it later.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
You would be better getting a locker and bolting it to a solid wall and locking it with a bolt cutter proof padlock.

If people really want something they will just take it.

kittykatcat

Visit site
Hmm, I guess whatever you have - if a theif really wants it, they will get it. It's more of a deterrant I think. So no separate locking arm bits that I can fix to an existing rack that anyone is aware of!?

dianchi

Visit site
Dont you have a saddle cover? Personally I don't leave mine anywhere without! And if im not using it it goes in a padded carry bag.

Figure of 8 securing through the rack would be how to fix it.

kittykatcat

Visit site
That makes sense. Actually no I dont have a saddle cover! i thought that my brand new saddle would come with one, but no! And i just havent had time to get one, stupid as that sounds. A bike chain might be a good alternative. thanks!