Locking patella/slipping stifles for us oldies!

suebou

Visit site
Our very sweet but medically problematic ex racer has now developed horrible looking locking patella on both hind legs. He’s been off serious work most of summer due to ulcers and is generally a bit of a ‘sick note’ horse. He’s out 24/7 atm, the field is big, he has company so isn’t bone idle. It has always been a bit there on his near hind but moving him back and stretching has released it with no obvious effects but has become pretty savage and hard to move on both hinds in the last week. Vet is due this week but I’m wondering how common it is, prognosis, hints/tips for managing. I’d be grateful for positive vibes as well please!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
It's very common and if it's that bad and he isn't young enough to grow out of it he might be a candidate for the ligament cutting which will resolve it. The operation is frowned on in young horses these days because it destabilises the joint but in some cases needs must. A chemical shortening of the ligament is also possible but I think out of favour, I'm not sure.

If no treatment is possible then keeping the horse fit, moving and working on hills is all beneficial, I think.

tristar

Visit site
if hes ok when in hard work, then use that, if poss, i do everything with my sticky one, lunging inc, not too fat helps, i know vets who swear by cutting and splitting, and loads who dont, yet many horses have benefited from the procedure, probably the bilateral ones who have it bad

the top vet i know says it is a fallacy due to a paper be an aussie vet who claimed it gives bad results long term.

ah just thought, another good vet mentioned using a gel injection instead, so you need to do some research yourself, dont take the first or 5th for that matter, opinion!

SOS

Visit site
I have a big horse that has a locking stifle. Never causes him an issue provided he is turned out regularly/in the day (summer out 24/7), in a large stable so he’s not spinning, kept fit if in and correctly muscled.

He may of outgrown it now but you used to occasionally go to move him and it had locked when he was younger. Never get that now but wouldn’t have him in a normal stable.

ETA: he is a hunter and works very hard at times. It’s never effected his work and he can jump the moon!

fankino04

Visit site
Mine had this as a youngster but thankfully outgrew it, whilst we were waiting to see if she would strengthen up and outgrow it we were advised to put wedges on the heels of her hind shoes which seemed to help her. I agree though for an older horse it's worth looking into the ligament snip.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
the top vet i know says it is a fallacy due to a paper be an aussie vet who claimed it gives bad results long term.

The only horse I know who had the ligament cut done subsequently had a meniscus tear in the stifle, exactly the expected kind of injury. My own vet says he would do it as a last resort but only with a very, very long and careful rehab to strengthen the joint before any strenuous competitive activity.