Locking Stifle shetland foal

nikkik

Visit site
Can anyone give me some advice please. Six month old shetland with locking stifle, what are the chances of it growing out of it? What is the best way to deal with it?

Thanks.
smile.gif

katylee

Visit site
assuming your vet has had a look to make sure its nothing serious.....make sure the shetland can always move so dont keep in a stable. walking in hand to help build up the muscles. of course not over doing it at a young age....

debsflo

Visit site
i have a yearling minature horse with the same problem.worse in the mornings when shes been in and laid down.ive been told minis and youngsters are prone to this and to regularly walk her out and up hill to build muscle but that they often grow out of it.plan to speak to vet this week and check with her.it looks awful but doesnt bother my filly at all and normally pops back in by the time were at the field.i think if mine lived out shed be fine but my other 2 are in at night

bailey14

Visit site
If worse comes to the worse and the patella problem doesn't rectify itself as she gets older/fitter then I believe I read somewhere that the ligament can be cut which prevents it from locking but allows the joint normal movement.

fallenangel123

Visit site
My mini mare had the same problem as a youngster, the vet advised leading out up and down hill to build up her muscles, and walking over poles gently. A year later on she is fine, never locks up now even if she stays in.

K27

Visit site
I wouldn't worry too much - they normally grow out of having locking stifles with age. Lots of turnout is helpful!

VictoriaEDT

www.equinedental.co.uk
My miniature in pic below has it and didnt grow out of it, he had to have an operation on both stifles as he got to the point where he was too scared to move. My advice, make sure he is insured and dont mention it to the vet unless you are v worried and think he may need an op (because you have a year to play with after the first time you mention it to the vet - after that the insurance wont pay)

teddyt

Visit site
Locking patellas is common in shetlands.

Try to have pony living out if possible, confinement is not very good. Other than that at that age there is not alot you can do. The pony may need bute and if it gets very bad the ligament can be cut but that is usually a last resort.

Speak to your vet for advice too.