Lola goes to Wellington Unaff Champs!

LiffWee93

Visit site
Well, i honestly cannot fault this little mare!
She is not the all singing all dancing purpose bred some people long for, but she is just wonderful and tried so hard to play with the big boys this weekend!
We qualified in October for the Novice class :) since then, we have been working hard, done a couple of tests which her attitude improved in, but with varying issues over winter with a sore back, no facilities and a confidence breakdown on my part, we have come through the other side, she feels better than ever and i was feeling hopeful!

Went for a shorter warm up now shes a chilled chappy to take out, still over cooked it in 30 mins! but she was awesome, could be more forward and off my leg, but thats now her go to when she isnt sure so still working on that :)
Got into the arena and she just switched on! went round the outside once, then again, then again, then got asked to wait by the judge as they had got the tests muddled :( poor lola just went off the boil where the walking/ trotting round the outside just switched her off..
which was a shame, but she came down the centre line and tried so hard to really please, trot work lacking the amount of forward and lift we have had in our sessions of late, canter work faaaabbbb bar a little bobble to the left when i didnt go forward enough!
the second canter transition earned a 5 as the stupid rider clicked!
first medium trot got a 7!!! second a 5 because she was just a smidge tired and hurried a little.
First trot/walk/trot had a little bobble, again lack of forward, 2nd fab!
generally really pleased! know where we could have picked up more marks! canter work straight 7's bar the bobble, including her counter canter :) ended up on 65.80 which is the best score she has had in a while due to her tightness :) landed 7th place after just being pipped to 6th by the last rider in the class :)
couldnt ask for more, she was bloody ace and just a doll :) lots more to come from her!!

lessons from the outing - she doesnt need drilling in the warm up, loosen in walk trot and canter, pick up and a few transitions is enough now!
i need to get much fitter!! didnt help when she was tired and i couldnt put my leg on as much as she needed to help her!
she needs to be fitter and we are going to trial a little bit of go juice in her feeds - shes just on fibre only and i dont think its quite enough now!! any ideas?

compulsory picture!! (bought from the tog for social media use)
13007122_10156819949890066_2673231459387932565_n.jpg

link to test :) (hope it works)
https://www.facebook.com/nicky.greatorex/posts/10156685778640408

DirectorFury

Visit site
She looks amazing :).

I've used TopSpec Turbo with desired results in the past - one or two handfuls an hour before work. Mine translates extra energy into tension at the moment so we've stopped using it!

LiffWee93

Visit site
Thankyou everyone :) she is a new forest pony, forest bred by Buckland dragonslayer out of millersford hannah :)
She gets naf ener-g on the run up to a competition and it doesn't quite seem to have as much of an effect as it did!
Will look up topspec turbo :)

Sprig

Visit site
Well done! I think if you get her fitter you will get the extra 'go' without feeding for it. She does look pretty tubby to me (but beautiful!).

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Micronised linseed and oats. I find with my welsh chap that we do get to a point when he is pretty fit but does actually need the feed for what I am requiring of him and it doesn't result in weight gain (initial concern) as because he had extra energy he burnt it off.

Most of the 'energy' feeds are too high in sugar for us. We had good results with spillers instant energy but it showed up in his feet (bruise line in hinds while feeding). Top spec turbo uses soya instead of linseed (I prefer the latter) and it has added calcium - my forage is off the scale for calcium so we don't need extra!

LiffWee93

Visit site
Yeah she is tubby and it's a constant battle, though the more she's worked, the more chilled out she is!
She's currently fed just quarter of a scoop of fast fibre with her supplements and Hay as our grazing is awful!

texenstar

Visit site
It's great to see this! I recently bought a little New Forest pony and I am hoping to train him up to medium level so it's good to see another native doing well :D