London Equestrian Centre (Enfield) - Livery

goussberry

Visit site
Hi all!

Does anyone have any experience with London Equestrian Centre in Enfield (not Trent Park Equestrian), and what their livery services are like?

What are their facilities like? Is there any hacking available? What is working livery like?

Are the staff their friendly and competent, and willing to provide help? What are the instructors like?

Sorry for all the Qs - I've had bad experiences in the past so when I buy my next horse I'm looking to find a new livery yard, and ideally keep it on working livery.

Thank you!

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
The London Equestrian Centre that I know is based in Mill Hill not Enfield.

If you do mean that one, I know a couple of people that liveried there and they were happy though this a 5 or 6 years ago and they were on full or diy livery not working. They have nice facilities with indoor and outdoor schools. I didn't have lessons there however the person running it back them was my old instructor from another centre and I would recommend her.

I was nearby and lack of hacking was one the main reasons I moved further out and accessing the few bridlepaths that did exist involved fairly busy london roads.

Bernster

Visit site
Hiya, not recent experience but I did look at some in that area a few years ago. Hacking and turnout were poor, so not my choice. Hacking is a bit tricky in that area as it's pretty built up. I've ended up going a bit further out each yard move (I'm in N London), for turnout, hacking, facilities and horse care reasons.

As there are fewer RS to offer working livery, might be worth considering exercise livery if your pocket can stretch to that, or getting a sharer, which seems fairly common.

PS I'm also assuming you mean the mill hill one

goussberry

Visit site
Sorry I did mean Mill Hill - i get the area confused!

Oh perfect, thank you! Do they have places to tie up horses to groom during the summer when the weather is nice?

Do you remember what the lady's name was, so I can contact her directly?

Hacking isn't a deal breaker but it would be nice - perhaps we could take lorries out to somewhere nicer!

goussberry

Visit site
Hiya - I did mean the Mill Hill one :) Turnout is a problem for me too but I can't get out of London just yet! Which yard are you currently based at, if you don't mind me asking?

Bernster

Visit site
I struggled to find anywhere that was easily accessible by public transport so I'm not sure there is anywhere. I did used to get two busses to get to mote end farm in mill hill but it took ages so I only rode at the weekend. If you have a car then there are lots of yards a little further out which were a better match for what I was after. What areas are you looking at?

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I've done quite a few by public transport getting the train to radlett, potters bar, cuffley and Bayford at various times. The expense of the train is offset by what you save on livery.

Specifically for working livery at a riding school you could try Northaw riding school, not sure if they do working livery but they have turnout and slightly better hacking. Train to Potters bar or cuffley then a bus.

There's also kings oak and Suzanne's a little further in but don't know much about them.

goussberry

Visit site
I struggled to find anywhere that was easily accessible by public transport so I'm not sure there is anywhere. I did used to get two busses to get to mote end farm in mill hill but it took ages so I only rode at the weekend. If you have a car then there are lots of yards a little further out which were a better match for what I was after. What areas are you looking at?

I'm based in West London at the moment, and every around her (Richmond, etc) are way too expensive for what they are. I do have a car but currently studying an intense post-grad course and at that point where I am about to start a career, so somewhere where I can to from the city/can drive to over the weekend, but that won't take more than 45mins. So I am sort of sticking to around north london/east london, or somewhere within a 45min driving distance as long as it provides working livery (or cheap/free staff training) so I don't have to worry too much during the week :)

goussberry

Visit site
I've done quite a few by public transport getting the train to radlett, potters bar, cuffley and Bayford at various times. The expense of the train is offset by what you save on livery.

Specifically for working livery at a riding school you could try Northaw riding school, not sure if they do working livery but they have turnout and slightly better hacking. Train to Potters bar or cuffley then a bus.

There's also kings oak and Suzanne's a little further in but don't know much about them.

Heya! Thanks for this - is that school is Northaw any good to ride at (working livery aside)?

Thanks so much for the different locations to try!

Bernster

Visit site
It's certainly do able but in winter you'll likely need a flood lit yard and be prepared for some late night riding, unless you are a v early riser! I was 30 mins or so drive from home to yard but I reckoned on up to 2 hours for leaving the office, to going home to collect the care, and getting to the yard. Easier now as I've moved jobs.

I wonder if you went out a little further west whether you'd find more options?

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
The only one I can recommend is Mote End Farm in Mill Hill London NW7 4HH.
It is very well run and has 250 acres of grassland hacking and all year turnout.
I kept my horse there for many years.
It is purely a livery yard but has a very experienced manager and several staff as well as very good visiting instructors.
If you want to cut costs then maybe consider a sharer.
www.moteendfarm.co.uk

Micropony

Visit site
The only one I can recommend is Mote End Farm in Mill Hill London NW7 4HH.
It is very well run and has 250 acres of grassland hacking and all year turnout.
I kept my horse there for many years.
It is purely a livery yard but has a very experienced manager and several staff as well as very good visiting instructors.
If you want to cut costs then maybe consider a sharer.
www.moteendfarm.co.uk

Don't know the yard myself, but the Micropony's massage lady has clients there and speaks very highly of the place.

chaps89

Visit site
If you're West London with Richmond nearby you may find going down the a3 a better option with yards around claygate/chessington/surbiton or cobham/leatherhead if you go a little further. Or down the m4 towards slough/bushy.
I say this as I work in west london (brentford) and my boyfriend lives in Barnet, north london near the areas described and it can be anything from an hours journey (rare) to 2 hours (normal), whereas going home to surrey is usually 45 mins to an hour and a half on a bad day.
From my knowledge of around bf's area, mote end farm and arkley livery would be worth checking out. Or ealing riding school if it's still open might be nearer home?

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Criso, if you mean Suzanne's riding school in Harrow, unfortunately it closed down a few years ago and is now pretty much derelict. Very sad.

And the developer who bought it now wants rid :( Another yard near there (Bushey/Watford borders) is also closing and the owner wants to develop the site. Along with the Patchetts closure, that's a worrying trend. The Patchett's development is currently stalled and plans for the other place were rejected.

goussberry

Visit site
If you're West London with Richmond nearby you may find going down the a3 a better option with yards around claygate/chessington/surbiton or cobham/leatherhead if you go a little further. Or down the m4 towards slough/bushy.
I say this as I work in west london (brentford) and my boyfriend lives in Barnet, north london near the areas described and it can be anything from an hours journey (rare) to 2 hours (normal), whereas going home to surrey is usually 45 mins to an hour and a half on a bad day.
From my knowledge of around bf's area, mote end farm and arkley livery would be worth checking out. Or ealing riding school if it's still open might be nearer home?

Thank you so much! I do live in Ealing, so close to Richmond - Ealing riding school is open but they don't offer livery :/

So you know of any ones near Slough? I used to go there a lot and never once saw a livery hard but I wasn't looking for one :)

How do you find that commute on top of working?

Thank you so much for this info - really helpful and hadn't considered looking before!

Feival

Visit site
If you want Livery in Enfield, there is Woodhurst in crews hill, Vicarage Farm in Cock Fosters, Etterridge farm in Broxbourne. Guy Lodge in Enfield.

chaps89

Visit site
If you were after working livery would ealing not take you then?
Commute to surrey is no problem from brentford, commute to north london is miserable, I really wouldn't want to be doing it more often than the once or twice a week I already do it tbh. Although it's twice the distance home to surrey it usually takes less time than the shorter distance to north london because of hanger lane/north circ traffic etc.
I don't know any yards out towards slough personally but have a few friends out that way- best bet is to try the surrey horse and pony facebook page as they'll be able to help on there I'm sure or try www.*******.co.uk

Eta- there is also Kingston riding centre, they do working livery, and there's a riding school in wimbledon that I'm fairly sure do working livery too

Last edited: