London Riding Schools Weight Limit

SleepyHollow

New User
Visit site
Hello all, I'm new, so please excuse me if there is already an active thread about this topic. The only thread I could find on this issue was an archived thread from 2009 when this was still called "New Lounge" and it was no longer an active thread, and new posts couldn't be added. Mods, please feel free to move/delete this post if it is in the wrong place.

Right, so I am an experienced rider who is sick and tired of not being able to ride anywhere in London due to my weight. I am a big girl: 5' 10" and 15 stone. I am fit and healthy (exercise regularly!) and have been this size all of my adult life. Horses carrying my weight has never been a problem. In the States, I've done SCA events and Renfaires and have even ridden with chainmail and armour and have NEVER had a problem. Imagine my surprise when arriving at Hyde Park Stables, having paid 100 quid for a ride, and being told I was too heavy to ride. Utter nonsense.

Has anyone else had a similar problem in London and is there any helpful advice (short of buying my own horse out here). Can anyone recommend a stable I can visit that would accept me?

Many thanks!

Brochdoll

Visit site
Can't help with where to ride but that seems a bit harsh! The weight limit seems really low since its the same as the EU Exmoors but that's because they're tiny! Hope you find somewhere soon

Floxie

Visit site
I'm afraid it took me a single click on their website (I was surprised at the prices and wanted to see for myself!) to find their list of rules, and their weight limit is the very first point in the list - so it's a shame, but possibly you should have been less surprised. It's not utter nonsense - their horses, their rules.

Most riding schools in the UK impose an upper weight limit, so I'm afraid that previous experiences elsewhere have no bearing on this. If a school feels that 12st is the upper limit their horses should carry (bear in mind they may have to carry riders at the top end day in, day out) then that's there prerogative. I can't advise on other riding schools with a higher limit but I would guess that if Hyde Park Stables state their rider weight limit on their website, others will too. If they don't, I'm sure a phone call ahead of time would prevent any future surprises.

puppystitch

Visit site
It might be worth heading outside of London - 30 minutes on the train in any direction will get you to areas with far more choice of stables, and better riding country / facilites too. I've always thought it would be lovely to ride around Hyde Park, but theres no way I'm paying that much when I've got my own at home. Also, whenever I see the riders in the park, they're only ever plodding along anyway so possibly the thought of it is better than the reality.

WelshD

Visit site
You dont say how long you will be based in London but if its some time and you are good with the stable management side maybe consider a share arrangement? Some people choose to share their horses for financial reasons so even a one day share where you pay a little over the odds plus a lesson at a school with less of a price tag would cost less than £100, owner then gets 6 days and some of their bills paid - could be a good arrangement

Of course that may not be practical if you are working full time etc

SleepyHollow

New User
Visit site
To Floxie: ^To clairfy a bit, the ride had been prebooked for me by a 3rd party who used my card details and made the booking by telephone. He was not advised of the weight limit at the time of the call. The company does cover it's behind so to speak by having the disclaimer on their website, granted, so I had no legal grounds for dispute, fair enough. But the staff's lousy attitude--which included laughing in my face and advising me to "go on a diet" was very much NOT appreciated. When I asked for the contact details of the manager to make a complaint about the rude behavoir (which to me was even worse than losing the 100 quid), I was given the runaround and told that he wasn't in, wasn't available etc. All in all a very lousy experience, I cannot advise people enough to NOT ride at Hyde Park Stables. Frankly, having ridden in the States for a number of years, and never having encountered this issue of a "weight limit" before, I wasn't prepared to be asked to step on a scale and prove my weight when going for a ride! This must be a practice more common in the UK, because I've not had experience with it in the States (ridding primarily in California and Montana). Maybe I should have known better and investigated before making the booking, fair enough, but when you're not expecting something, it's difficult to prepare for it!!!

Anyway, thanks for the comments, if anyone finds a better stable that might be able to accommodate me, I'd appreciate the suggestion.

Edit: the share idea is a good one I had not considered! I will check it out! I am based in London for the long term.

puppystitch

Visit site
I think a lot of stables here now set an upper weight limit, although I doubt they'll ask you to step on a scale to prove it. I know one yard I used to go to had a very low upper limit as all the horses were ex-racers, but I suspect that's an exception. It might just take some website-scouting to find somewhere less stringent.

_GG_

Visit site
Many riding schools have a limit around the 13-14st mark. It's not that they don't have horses that can carry the weight, but that the horses may have to be ridden 3-4 times a day and they are just safeguarding the horses. If their attitude was bad then yes, that is out of order but there is no easy way to deal with larger people that want to ride when then is a weigh limit in place that restricts them from it.

It's awful for you, but it's something they have put I place for the sake of their horses. I would personally rather a few people be offended but all horses healthy and happy than have no weight limits or too high weight limits and risk horses paying the price.

I looked at the website too and it was easy to find and I understand that riding in the sates a lot means it may not occur to you to check so it is a tricky situation. I hope you got your refund as you it was always common practise when I took bookings to ask the age, riding ability and approximate weight of all riders.

nixxyz

Visit site
I do think 12st is a low limit to have, but not knowing the type of horses they have it may well be practical. The RS i go to has a limit of 16st which is only loosely enforced and they have a majority of cobs and ID types. In every instance of me booking a ride in a new RS i was always asked over the phone my height and weight. Was this not asked when the ride was booked? Its a poor show regarding their customer service and not everyone has access to the internet to see their T&C.

Floxie

Visit site
Yeah, there's absolutely no excuse for treating you so horribly over the issue though. I don't expect for a minute you'd consider riding there now if you ever were under their limit, and nor would anybody you know who you told about it, so very poor business sense on their part (and plain rude of course).

_GG_

Visit site
Wimbledon Valley is 15st weight limit. I just called as it got me thinking about turning an upcoming girlie city break into a mini equestrian one :)

Spring Feather

Visit site
Frankly, having ridden in the States for a number of years, and never having encountered this issue of a "weight limit" before, I wasn't prepared to be asked to step on a scale and prove my weight when going for a ride! This must be a practice more common in the UK, because I've not had experience with it in the States (ridding primarily in California and Montana).
Hmm that's really odd that you say that because it's incredibly common around here. All the stables that I know (in the US and Canada) who offer horses out to the public have weight limits written in their rules and they are usually adhered to. I have weight limits for all of my horses and I don't allow riders over those limits to ride them.

Sorry you found out after the money had been taken, and it sucks, but it is also standard practice over here too.

MungoMadness

Visit site
I'm pretty sure that Littlebourne will have horses suitable for you, could be worth getting in touch with them if they are within reachable distance.

Blythe Spirit

Visit site
I would advise you to call round and speak to people on the phone. My Husband is 16 stone (6'3'' and chunky rather than very flabby) but he is a good rider and I have only once or twice been turned away when arranging rides for the two of us on holiday etc. I call and say 'I know you have a weight limit of.... my husband is actually .... but I wondered if you'd accept him as he is a well balanced rider who rides every day on his own horse .... blah blah". As you say you are an experienced rider and fit and healthy I'd give it a go. They can only say No.

Spudlet

Visit site
I used to ride here when I lived in London http://www.wildwoodsriding.co.uk/index.asp

Their limit is 16 stone - they have some big, solid horses there. It's a very good place - I used to go on a long hack there once a month as a treat.

ETA this is the fella I used to ride there: http://www.wildwoodsriding.co.uk/harlequin.asp Back when he was indeed still a lanky thing - all legs, enthusiasm (especially for group canters, which he always started with much speed but then ran out of stamina, bless him) and gawping at everything he came across! Glad to hear his brain and feet match better now as they didn't always then;)

Last edited:

SleepyHollow

New User
Visit site
Thanks so much everyone for the replies. I have had positive responses back from both Wild woods and Littlebourne. Both are a bit far out, so me and a couple friends are considering renting a car and going for a group hack next week. Very reasonable prices as well. Thanks again!

tarq02

New User
Visit site
Try London Equestrian Centre, i ride there and am 6'3" but dont know my weight! there are some other large types like myself there as well. I would suggest you do what i did and go up there for a chat first, i think when they realised i wasn't going to ride like a sack of spuds that meant they ddi not ask my weight. They do have an official weight limit though.
also if you are riding during the week i think it is easier for them to manage the weight carrying horses use if that makes sense? Weekends the horses and ponies are just hard at work, and i guess need as little weight on them as possible.
good luck
t