Lone Riders

pottamus

Visit site
Is it just me or is there anyone else on here that prefers to hack out alone rather than with others???
I am seen as a bit of a hermit round where I live because I ride alone and do my own thing when I want and how I want with my horse...everyone else meets up and goes out in groups...
Thing is I have always done it, even when at home with parents and I find riding with others a pain because they all have their own agendas and horses do not always get on so I find it stressful watching what others peoples horses are doing round mine all the time!
So I do my own thing, my horse is happier and we can trot and canter when we like and ride when we want...even at 5 am in the morning (summer)!

JessPickle

Visit site
I would if I could but I never really ride alone. For two main reasons my sister has a horse as well so when I go up the yard she usually is there as well. Also pickle doenst hack alone currently allthough we are making gradual steps

I do like riding alone though partically on the downs when it is completely quiet and no one around. Its a lovely feeling but i only ever ride alone when i am exercising the RS ponies ready for lessons

pottamus

Visit site
Yeah I gues there is that safety in numbers element...although I always carry a phone and my husband knows the route I am doing before I go...so not too bad.

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
I usually hack out alone and I find it lovely to just have some time to think and enjoy my horses wothout having to try and make conversation, I just stick my iPod on quietly in one ear and enjoy my hack! I usually hack out once a week witha mate and thats brilliant, we can ride along and chat for hours and we always have a good laugh.

lisan

pets.webshots.com
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah I gues there is that safety in numbers element...although I always carry a phone and my husband knows the route I am doing before I go...so not too bad.

[/ QUOTE ]
I also thought, safety in number, but since i broke my leg other people from the yard won't hack out with as don't want to have to take responsibility - although the only times I have EVER fallen off her are Showjumping!

So they would rather watch me battle with her to go alone as she prefers company!

I do like going on my own sometimes, just not al the time
grin.gif

timeandchance

Visit site
I like to ride with one other person and that's it......I find if I ride with 3/4 it gets dangerous/you don't get to talk to each other properly and you gradually fall out with people!

Luckily Charlie gets on well with the horses I ride out with....except one...and the horses then wind each otehr up and it does my nut!

Twiglet

Visit site
Both.....luckily horse is fab on his own, but do enjoy my weekend hacks with my friend, when we have a good natter and laugh over what pr*ts our horses are sometimes!

Tempi

Visit site
i mainly hack Bloss on her own as she is really fit so i trot and canter her all the way, non of the other horses on my yard are that fit and their owners tend to just wander round the countryside (not that theres anything wrong with that!)
smile.gif

TGM

Visit site
I love hacking out on my own - often have to hack out with my daughter at weekends, so look forward to going out on my own during the week. I love the peace and quiet and use it as a time for reflecting on things! I also like the fact I can choose to go where I want, at what time I want and at what pace I like!

Chex

Visit site
I like going out by myself, time to think and chill out. In company is good too, but prefer to decide what I want to do on a ride, rather than having to go along with someone else.

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
Well I like doing both. I find that hacking on my own gives me time to 'think', especially when I'm feeling a bit down or upset. But I really enjoy hacking out with others too, it’s nice to go out and have a good old natter. All our neddies are fine on their own and in company.

sally2008

Visit site
I do some and some. I don't mind hacking on my own at all and quite enjoy the peace and quiet. Company is good but I do get frustrated by having to wait for others to get their act together.

If we arrange to go out at 9am then to me that means on board and ready to go at 9am, not turning up at the yard at 9.15am, grooming, gossiping and finally tacking up in time to get out at about 10am! Makes me want to shout "COME ON! Some of us have things to do you know!!!!!!!!!!!" LOL! I'm turning into a grumpy old woman!!

timeandchance

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I do some and some. I don't mind hacking on my own at all and quite enjoy the peace and quiet. Company is good but I do get frustrated by having to wait for others to get their act together.

If we arrange to go out at 9am then to me that means on board and ready to go at 9am, not turning up at the yard at 9.15am, grooming, gossiping and finally tacking up in time to get out at about 10am! Makes me want to shout "COME ON! Some of us have things to do you know!!!!!!!!!!!" LOL! I'm turning into a grumpy old woman!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I KNOW the feeling!
grin.gif

riotgirl

Visit site
I don't have anyone to hack out with! Most people round my way who have horses don't do hacking and the only person who does is an advanced event rider when she is fittening horses! As my girl is very green I could do with someone very steady to go out with. Suppose the grass is always greener and all that
tongue.gif

filly190

Visit site
I do both, I had struggled for ages to find a riding fiend who liked the same as me.

I'm so lucky in that my friend has taken over one of my horses and I love riding with her. So rides on my own now are not as good.

Dogbetty141

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree with you. I like to have everything done in time relax later on in the day. Im a grumpy old 21yr old.

jayvee

Visit site
I mainly ride alone. Gets boring as I ride twice daily sometimes 3. Though about 2 days per wk I ride out with OH and thats brill. WE have happy horses and everything goes perfectly!
smile.gif

But then there is one person I hate riding out with as they have little control of their horse, and I always end up doing the gates etc as they are hopeless and cant be bothered to try! They also just want to motorbike every where and i hate that! It's just manic and stresses me out! So I avoid it when I can, but it's not always possible.
mad.gif

Happytohack

Visit site
I like to do both -but I am very choosy who I ride with these days! Luckily there are a couple of good people at the local livery yard who are happy for me to tag along with them and are safe to ride with and don't suddenly go bombing off without warning, unlike some. I also like to go out on my own, but wouldn't go as far as when I have company.

sally2008

Visit site
I don't feel quite so bad now.
grin.gif
We have a couple of young horses in the yard whose riders often ask if they can hack out with me as mine is (generally!) a good influence so I always ask what time suits them, hence me getting so cross if they are late, particularly when they then say sulkily "oh I thought we were going for a long ride?".
mad.gif
Err, it's like this love, be on time and we can! LOL!

See, I'm off on one again!!!
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

amzy

Visit site
I ride on my own 99% of the time as I can go where I want, at the speed I want and at what time I want. It may seem selfish but I also feel safer as I am the one in control of myself and my horse - I don't feel pressurised into going faster than I wish and don't have to worry that my horse is going to misbehave if the others do. I will occasionally hack out with another quiet plod though just for a change for me and my horse.

jinglejoys

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I ride on my own 99% of the time as I can go where I want, at the speed I want and at what time I want. It may seem selfish but I also feel safer as I am the one in control of myself and my horse - I don't feel pressurised into going faster than I wish and don't have to worry that my horse is going to misbehave if the others do. I will occasionally hack out with another quiet plod though just for a change for me and my horse.

[/ QUOTE ]

Another lone hacker---I can talk to my mule and not have to shout above the wind to make polite conversation to the person in front or behind me! (Anyway Sarah-lee's conversation is so much more interesting
wink.gif

xxcharlottexx

Visit site
I like doing both, and will happily ride out with someone if they are around, but just as happy to go out on my own

id get annoyed having to ride out with someone all the itme though, as sometimes its forced conversation, and i like to go my route, and although from reading this post it may be frowned upon i dont always plan where i am going to ride, and like to go where i feel like (always take phone though)
I also have to hack ot with a horse that has the same pace to mine or faster soits my job to keep up... cant stand having to weight ages for a pony to catch up, or have to walk like a snail to stay near each other

It is nice every so often to have the company though, and do have some good natters
laugh.gif

nomini

Visit site
I prefer to hack on my own as we can trot and canter when we like and where we like and at the speed we want to go at. Both my horses walk quite fast too, so always end up havingto stand and wait for people to catch up. Enjoy hacking out with others sometimes, but usually when I'm riding someone elses horse!

debbielinder

Visit site
i find it safer by myself as i find my horse acts up if the others do and likes to copy them even tho doing stuff like spinning and taking off from scary things is totally out of character for her if the other horse we're with does it she does too. i enjoy going out by myslef as i know my horse will go anywhere and i dont have to worry what every 1 else is doing tho i have developed this habbit of having full blown conversations with my horse any 1 else do this i dont even know im doing it most of the time!