Long acting fly sprays

Templebar

Visit site
So as the title says im looking for a long acting fly protection.

I work with sheep and cattle and know we use pour on types for them that can last for over a month, does anyone know of some such protection for horses? Has anyone used any of the sheep/cattle ones with any success.

I have also found one called deosect that is licensed for horses comes concentrated. Has anyone used this and how did you get on?

Fransurrey

Visit site
Best thing I've used is neem oil, which can be sprayed if you use a carrier oil, but I slather it on (on a desperate day last week I put it on my own arms. Ponies weren't touched out on our ride, but my non-neemed bottom got two beauties!

Leo Walker

Visit site
Butox Swish. I have to lie and say I own a cow, but it was the ONLY thing that kept ticks off my horses when we lived in deer country. It used to last for at least a month and I would know when it was wearing off as the odd tick would start to appear. Without it there would be 20+ new ticks a day on them!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
We use Cooper's Spot-On on both sheep and horses. We did a skin test with a tiny amount on the young horses before using it last year - all was fine. We use the cattle measure.

Abby-Lou

Visit site
Deosect really impressive results no more sore ears I can actually put her bridle on without a fuss !

alex_mac30

Visit site
I use deosect, it has warnings to wear gloves when putting it on etc which worried me, I did a test first as my horse can be quite reactive to stuff but had no problems. Its great stuff, it seems expensive to buy but the little can lasts ages, much longer than any of the pre-made up sprays I have used before. I put in on about once every 3/4 weeks or more if I have washed him or he has got wet. it seems to be great at keeping the fly's off and it does mean you don't need to apply spray everyday so saves time. I dont put it on his face but he wears a mask anyway.
I make it up in a jug and put it on with a sponge, I wear rubber gloves, make sure you wash then straight after as it does melt the rubber. I know people who used it in spray bottles but they soon stop working as the deosect will melt the spray tube.
M

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I would be cautious. I used a long acting one (can't remember the name, but the vet approved and it came in a tin to dilute at home). My horse started to fidget as I put it on and when I looked closer he was coming up in huge wheals. I had to cold hose for 20 minutes. This was not my current horse (who is a bit sensitive) but was a horse who was normally tough as old boots!

I now use very little spray, just for riding, and we have sweet itch rugs as he is in at night anyway, so they are not on 24/7.