Long boots.. help!

icklechlo

Visit site
I am going to start competing properly this year, and my bf has decided he's going to contribute towards some long boots for my birthday. I have ridden in boots and gaiters, but split my gaiters (oops!) and I would really like some long boots.

Here is my trouble...

I am 4ft 11... all of the boots I have found (including very expensive ones) do not go short enough for my legs. They are not even near so they wouldn't even be right after softening up and a bit of wear.

Does anyone have any ideas? I would ideally like a pair that are/look like the Mountain Horse High Caliber long boots.

If not, boots and gaiters that really do go nicely and look like long boots would be good, but I still have the trouble with gaiters being too tall etc!
(edit... and I have size 3 feet and adult sizes mostly start in 4's!)

Help really would be apprieciated!
laugh.gif

Bettyboo1976

Visit site
I have the same trouble, Many Many years ago i had a pair of leather boots donated to me from a friend, anyway they were too long so i took them to the cobbler and they shortened them and they fitted beautifully!

libby3011

Visit site
I have similar issues being only 5"1'. Have you tried the kids Mountain Horse boots? I have the sportive high rider in junior which come up shorter in the leg. They have also dropped a little now I've worn them in.

icklechlo

Visit site
I have yes, but ideally I want something less chunky and a lot more showy if that makes sense?
I am going to be showing a 12.2 bsp this summer, and slightly chunky boots I think would look out of place on him.

BigRed

Visit site
If these are going to be your best boots and you are an adult, they will last a long time, so maybe you need to dig deep and get them made, or altered for you. I am the opposite to you. I am 6ft tall. A lady with size 9 feet and long legs. Most boots are too short for me. 10 years ago I paid £500 for boots to be made by Schneiders in London - they make the boots for the Household Cav. They are beautiful, they fit and they will last IF you look after them. Best money I have ever spent on riding kit.

icklechlo

Visit site
That sounds so good, but I don't know if I can realistically afford to get some tailor made. Yes this is my adult height (how depressing, almost 20 and under 5ft tall!) so any boots I get now will be with me until I kill them from overuse!

libby3011

Visit site
I know what you mean about the MH boots being a little chunky for showing. When I muster up the courage to do a little local showing I'll probably try and get something a bit smarter. (perhaps you could let me know if you have any luck?)

PS- Don't be depressed about being little - as the saying goes "Precious things come in tiny parcels" (and big strapping men love having a wee lassie to protect and look after!!!
grin.gif
)

icklechlo

Visit site
Hehe don't I know it.. being little is good! I think I am just going to have to go to every saddlery possible and try on everything then get the ones that fit the best altered...hassle! I will let you know if I have any luck, I have been sat here with a tape measure looking up sizing charts for boots etc, my legs are stupid!

amandathepanda

Visit site
Can't you get away with child sized boots if you are only a 3 with short legs? Try looking at frogpool/derby house as I know a lot of kids do wear long boots now and I have seen some in a catalogue recently in child sizes.

Befney3

Visit site
I'm 5'1'' & have size 3 feet. I ended up with kids Ariat boots & adults Ariat gaiters in a short length. The boots are the comfiest things ever & they look as smart as long boots.

icklechlo

Visit site
I cant wear kids long boots because my legs are tooo muscly round the calves! I think I may have to get ariat kids short boots and gaiters, but I really wanted long boots, beggars cant be choosers!

BeckyD

Visit site
Depends what your budget is. Cavallo do made to measure, and my Cavallo's are super. They were about £325 off the peg, £425 made to measure. My calves are exceptionally wide for my size 3 feet, and my legs are quite different in circumference, so made to measure is really the only option.