Long Boots or Jodhpur Boots with Chaps?

huntre

New User
Visit site
Hello!

I am currently in the middle of buying some new gear for horse riding since I have been away from the hobby for near on three years and have outgrown all of my old items.

The back protector and helmet are sorted but I am still tossing about the decision as to which boots I should get.

Ever since a child I have chosen long riding boots due to my mum's encouragement; but I feel as though they are a little incompatible with my structure. I have two inside-turning knees and the boots often seemed brace my legs in inconvenient positions. This then causes my feet to point outwards and it all looks rather messy. Any attempt to pull my toes into a forward facing hold has been met with a lot of frustration and discomfort.

I was wondering if anyone else has been faced with this problem and how they approached it? Do jodhpur boots, paired with chaps, provide more freedom between the ankle, lower leg and knee? Or would they create more issue?

Thanks in advance.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I find the best option for me is jodh boots and gaiters, this is because they give my dodgy ankles the best support out of all combinations.
I wear riding boots only for RC, hunting etc, but at home or sponsored rides etc, wear the gaiters. I find chaps dont help my riding as are not close contact enough, tho I do have an old pair in the feed shed (and a v old pair of jodh boots) in case I need to hop on in a hurry and haven't got everything with me, but this is v rare.
That said, am sure you will get differing opinions :)

DD265

Visit site
I have concluded that I much prefer jodhpur boots and half chaps to long boots. It is years since I've worn gaiters, but we aren't competing and my chaps are absolutely fine for every day use.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I'd go for joddie-boots with chaps every time; my legs from the knee to the ankle are small and every longboot without exception that I've tried, is way too long for me and is uncomfortable.

If you want to compete/show/hunt, you may have to go for long-boots tho' as I'm not sure how well accepted smart black jodhpur boots and smart leather gaiters would be either in the showring or out hunting?? I don't compete so wouldn't know....... someone else on here will doubtless have an answer. I simply don't possess a pair of long-boots as have never been able to find anything that's even remotely a good fit - probably a childs size might be best, I dunno.

If you want some nice summer riding/vented chaps I can recommend the ones that the Endurance riders go for; try the "Performance Equestrian" website they've got some nice ones on there in all sorts of colours, or plain colour if you want. They're lovely! For sizing, I'm a 5'3 and last time I bought some, the "S" size was just right. Reminds me, I need to buy another pair!!

huntre

New User
Visit site
Excellent! I think I will go ahead with the jodhpur boot and chaps arrangement; since I am hearing the positive feedback I had expected. I am in no rush to start competing again until I am warmed up and have regained my fitness (which hopefully won't take too long, thanks to my cycling) so they will probably have me sorted for a good year or so.

Much appreciation to everyone who has replied! Now onto the task of finding a jodhpur boot manufacturer who has 7 1/2's :mad:

atropa

Visit site
I wear jodh boots and half chaps at home and jodh boots with leather look gaiters out at competitions. I think the next time I have to buy new ones though I'll probably buy some long boots for comps.

Orchardbeck

Visit site
Ariat do half sizes, their Heritage boots are fab, although mine are a bit older now, so they are probably called something different now.