Long competition boot help! Really struggling to find brown long boots for long legs!

becca1305

Visit site
As title really. Beginning to despair with more competitions looming!

I was delighted to find gorgeous looking boots in my size in the colour I wanted last Autumn and promptly ordered them (DeNiros). However after a rather long wait they unfortunately weren't worth it :(. As soon as I had worn the leather in a little (within a few wearings as the leather is beautifully soft) they creased very dramatically round the ankle and not only do they look ridiculous when on, they also pinch my left ankle terribly (sustained a rather horrid ligament injury to it over a year ago). They also weirdly put my balance out in the saddle as due to their shape I have to have more 'toe' stuck out the front of the stirrup than I'm used to. I've finally admitted defeat that these beautiful looking boots just don't suit my leg or foot shape :(.

However, that leads me to the ever increasingly urgent problem of getting some boots that fit! My current day to day short boots and chaps are slowly dying on me and just not smart enough for competition and are also black. I ideally really do want a pair of brown boots but all I seem to be able to find is a limited choice of black boots, and obviously DeNiros which I won't be buying again!

So far the only boots that I like in suitable sizes are:
* Mountain Horse Supreme High Rider - lovely looking but Black only and also couldn't use them for PC ODEs.
* Tredstep DaVinci boots - again only come in black!

Boots which are too short:
* Ariat Bromonts
* Mark Todd field boots
* Brogini
* Sarm Hippique

The problem is that despite my leg length (19 1/4 inch) I have small feet (5 1/2s) and companies seem to associate this with shorter leg length :(. I also have wide calves (15inch) which knocks out companies who just cater for the tall and skinny market.

So any help would be greatly appreciated! Any recommendations of either off the peg boots or made to measure would be brilliant :). I'm loathe to spend huge amounts of money again after the DeNiro debacle, however I understand that its likely I will end up having to! Boots need to be suitable for eventing.

PorkChop

Visit site
I can recommend Sergio Grasso Boots. I have had mine for four years, and they still look fantastic, they do every size imaginable and there is plenty of choice in brown.

WelshTilly

Visit site
I've just got the Mark Todd Competition boot lot smarter than the field boot I too have long legs although skinny calves but they do various heights and widths might be worth trying them on in a local shop ..... I have a feeling they only do black I too am a brown girl but have had to cross to the black side now need a black saddle :p good luck x

becca1305

Visit site
LJR- Thanks I havent looked at those :).

WelshTilly - thanks I cant find them long enough for me though :( they seem to go up to 18 1/2 tall and I'm a good 19 1/4. And like you say black! Its so frustrating! Haha good excuse for a new saddle though :D.

WelshTilly

Visit site
Oh Im sorry I misread your post. I havent looked at their competition boot. Though its still black...bum

They do a field boot thicker sole and shorter calf length and not as smart as the competition boot IMO which has a thinner sole and longer calf length, but they are black I was really annoyed!! But it's all my instructors fault she convinced me black was the new brown ...I somehow don't feel it I did state I don't own a pair of black shoes non horsey!! :rolleyes:

Tiffany

Visit site
Love my Ariat Bromonts and I thought they did them in different leg lengths and widths? I know they do them in brown because I've got them.

Hope you find something suitable :)

becca1305

Visit site
Poppyanderson- Do they? Oh cool :) im not sure how they justify a lot more for a colour! I will look into it though Im reluctant to pay more when they arent perfect- cant be used for PC.

becca1305

Visit site
Thanks :) will have a look. The supreme high riders (mountain horse) have the soles which interlock with the special stirrup treads and PC rules state smooth soles only. Its a silly rule and outdated - they are allowed for BE etc- but if they spot them they will stop you competing. You cant even use them with normal treads as the boot sole isnt smooth!

Jesstickle

Visit site
Thanks :) will have a look. The supreme high riders (mountain horse) have the soles which interlock with the special stirrup treads and PC rules state smooth soles only. Its a silly rule and outdated - they are allowed for BE etc- but if they spot them they will stop you competing. You cant even use them with normal treads as the boot sole isnt smooth!

File them down? Or polyfilla in the gaps? :D :D

I jest of course! Sorry, that wasn't helpful! Why don't you like black?

becca1305

Visit site
Haha yes it is a silly rule but I have seen someone pulled up on it - she didnt know and wasnt a PC member but at a PC event. She had to buy new jodhpur boots from the tack shop on site to compete! An expensive outing!

I do like black :) all of my boots previously have been black. But my mares tack is brown, my youngster will go into brown tack when backed so its only one of my horses (who will shortly be looking for a new home anyway) who uses black tack. I think brown boots look nicer with brown tack and fancied a change from black after years of it! Trust me to want whats awkward to get! :eek:

millitiger

Visit site
I have Sergio Grasso boots too and they are fab.

I have very long, skinny calves and the boots come in so many measurements they are pretty much made to measure.

I bought mine when I was 16 and nine years later they are still going strong. They have been resoled once (I wear them all day for eventing, course walking etc) but apart from that, they are like new :)

Pasha

Visit site

becca1305

Visit site
That is really strange I could have sworn I'd looked at Broginis before - talking a few years ago now when I first tried before promptly giving up - and they weren't long enough! will look again now :) thanks.

I know its so irritating :(!. With my DeNiros I think I'm actually going to take pictures and ring them up because you can see the massive ridiculous deep ankle creases and when they aren't even on my foot in the leather and they've been worn less than 10 times - really not good enough!

cronkmooar

Visit site
Have you looked at Regent boots? They do a model in brown and come in standard and long length - not overly expensive either