Long Covid & horses - support thread

YourValentine

Visit site
There are loads of general support groups for people with Long Covid, but haven't seen a horse centric one.

So thought this could be a space to:
- have a theraputic moan about how Long Covid is impacting your riding or spending time with your horses
- tips on how to make things easier energy wise
- what you've found works/doesn't work for recovering fitness and dealing with breathlessness

Or anything else.

YourValentine

Visit site
I'll kick off with a bit of a moan. I'm really struggling to correctly balance my energy levels to have enough energy in the day for a horsey activity e.g. group hack on Sunday, he needed riding on sat to not be a total idiot, but then come Sunday I was too tired to ride with the others.

I know I should be greatful I feel well enough to ride again, but not being able to do even minor horsey "outings" is getting frustrating.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I’m very sorry to hear of how long covid is impacting on you ☹️.

I’ve had covid three times now, never got seriously ill with it (fully jabbed), but each time I’ve had 2 or 3 months of post viral vertigo which scuppered any plans for riding horses, cycling or dog walking for a good long while after each bout.

I hope that you get your full strength back soon.

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
Your Valerntine! I am so sorry to learn that you have Long Covid and I hope that with time that you will make a full recovery.
It is believed that there are about 500,000 people in the United Kingdom that suffer from Long Covid and far more resources need to be put in to researching Long Covid as very little is understood about it.

YourValentine

Visit site
I’m very sorry to hear of how long covid is impacting on you ☹️.

I’ve had covid three times now, never got seriously ill with it (fully jabbed), but each time I’ve had 2 or 3 months of post viral vertigo which scuppered any plans for riding horses, cycling or dog walking for a good long while after each bout.

I hope that you get your full strength back soon.
Sorry to hear it messes with your balance and causes vertigo. Have you made a full recovery?

Time for Tea

Visit site
So sorry to hear about your long Covid problems, I think it’s quite striking that people fully vaccinated who had it mildly are still affected months later. I wonder if my lack of energy stems from this, I thought I was just getting older and therefore less energetic.

If you are doing DIY livery, could you cut a few corners? Skip out during the week then do a full muck out at the weekend? This would not suit me, but I know some people do it. And regarding riding, could you lunge on the Saturday then ride on the Sunday? Or could you get someone else to ride on the Saturday for you? Or could people at home do more domestic jobs so you have a bigger store of energy for your group ride?

regarding breathlessness, I have been using the Wim Hof breathing method, strongly recommended by our physio who goes to our riding camp every summer. I only do 10 breaths in the morning, not 20, but it’s still helpful, very much so, and I noticed walking up a very steep long road recently, visiting Yorkshire, that I could just march up there with lungs functioning well. I have also abstained from the recommended ice baths! His method is supposed to improve your immune system too. So even though I am insufficiently committed, I have noticed a very definite benefit. It can make you feel dizzy with oxygen when you are doing it. Plenty on line about it.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
To my knowledge I've never had Covid but I had a serious reaction to the first and second vaccines (Moderna, I should never have been given the second one) and ended up with severe long Covid symptoms, some of which I still have, but the thing that has got me back towards normal was 6 months of iron supplementation after a blood test showed my levels were exceptionally low, which is a common long Covid problem. I still have days where my energy levels are rock bottom, and a tendency to fall asleep at random times, but I'm able to function around the horses, ride several times a week, and cope with occasional long days of work and travel (I mostly wfh).

palterwell

Visit site
Sorry I’m late replying ! I had Covid for the first time in August 2021 , I wasn’t really Ill but lost my sense of smell and taste. I really struggled to breathe and this went on for a really long time. I could get on my horse but absolutely couldn’t trot !! I couldn’t get any air in my lungs . I saw a respiratory physio and eventually got a referral to the Long Covid clinic. It was a very long wait but they really helped me. My breathing has improved so much that I can now do 20 minutes on the tread mill at the gym. I’m just off to the gym now. I started with exercise at the hospital and then exercise by referral at the local gym.
I still crash at times but at least I can trot now 😁

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Sorry to hear it messes with your balance and causes vertigo. Have you made a full recovery?
Hi, thankfully each time eventually the vertigo has eventually disappeared, so I am now as I was pre the three bouts of covid.

ETA It was very worrying at the time, as each bout was so protracted and each time I thought it might be permanent.

Last edited:

Pippity

Visit site
I had covid for the first time a couple of months ago. I'm still not 'normal' but I can't tell how much, if any, of that is long covid, and how much is my usual ME/CFS combined with going back to full time work after a delightful six months of travel and lazing around.

What I find most frustrating is that I can't keep my horse in consistent work. I'll commit to schooling twice a week and, just as I'm starting to see an effect, I'll have an energy crash and need to go back to plodding round the block at the weekend. And that's if I can even find the energy for that.

My back brain is also convinced that people are judging me for not seeing my horse every day. (She's on full livery - she's having all her needs met, and gets daily cuddles from my yard friends on top of that. But I'm always aware that most people are there twice a day and I'm just not able to.)

Maxine67

Official Waffle Counter 🤣
Greater Manchester (although I still say Cheshire)
Visit site
I had Covid in March 2020, just as we went into the first lockdown, I was fit, healthy and active, I had my own dog walking business so walked for 3-4 hours a day and was always on the go. In the months following having Covid my energy levels dropped, I just felt "off" but carried on working, I completely crashed in October 2020, no energy, dizziness, shortness of breath, palpitations, I couldn't stay awake and couldn't work. I had chest x rays, ECG and blood tests, they all came back clear and I was diagnosed with Long Covid. I had to close my business, and haven't been able to work since. I have improved slightly over the last 3 and a half years, and a few months ago I started going to a lovely yard, and spending just an hour a week with horses again, I would love to spend more time with them but I have to listen to body and pace myself. I don't think I'll ride again, but I honestly don't mind, just being with them and doing a bit of grooming does me so much good 😊 The biggest lesson I've learnt from this is to listen to your body - if I hadn't carried on pushing through in 2020 maybe I would have improved quicker, but that first wave definitely hit harder so who knows? 🤷‍♀️

Landcruiser

Visit site
I had covid in May this year and it knocked me for 6, physically at the time but more mentally since. Up till then I was enjoying learning Greek and German for fun - I'm overwhelmed by the thought of starting back with either, and haven't done ANY since then. Riding has also gone by the board, pretty much. I have my horses at home and have found that I've just lost my mojo - day to day jobs as well as working part time at the vets mean I have just no energy left and seem to be tired all the time. My brain seems to have turned to mush, my concentration/focus is hopeless. Doctor is uninterested in my self diagnosis of long covid - I thought they might want to record it somewhere for statistics - but no. I'm dreading another bout but am not quite old enough to have been offered the vacc yet.

Maxine67

Visit site
I had covid in May this year and it knocked me for 6, physically at the time but more mentally since. Up till then I was enjoying learning Greek and German for fun - I'm overwhelmed by the thought of starting back with either, and haven't done ANY since then. Riding has also gone by the board, pretty much. I have my horses at home and have found that I've just lost my mojo - day to day jobs as well as working part time at the vets mean I have just no energy left and seem to be tired all the time. My brain seems to have turned to mush, my concentration/focus is hopeless. Doctor is uninterested in my self diagnosis of long covid - I thought they might want to record it somewhere for statistics - but no. I'm dreading another bout but am not quite old enough to have been offered the vacc yet.
Sadly there are still many doctors who dismiss it despite the evidence of millions of people affected by it. The lack of energy, the brain fog, lack of concentration are all part of it, I would love to fill my time by doing some studying but can't read or concentrate for any length of time, information doesn't stay in like it did before. Push for a diagnosis, change doctor if necessary, there isn't much they can do but it's definitely worth it being on your records.

lynz88

Visit site
I had what I believe to be covid last week. Previously I only had a taste/smell change back in 2021 and earlier this year felt off for about a day and a half. Then last week I was knocked off my feet. This week I've been incredibly tired. Especially tonight. I wanted to ride but am absolutely crashing and decided not to even attempt. But I'm wondering if it is because I've pushed myself with trying to do my normal "routines" and not quite recovered - double gym Mon night, yard Tues night, out with a friend Weds night, and a PT session yesterday. Have been sleeping incredibly deeply at night but feel like I could sleep the weekend away atm which is highly unusual for me.

Maxine67

Visit site
I had what I believe to be covid last week. Previously I only had a taste/smell change back in 2021 and earlier this year felt off for about a day and a half. Then last week I was knocked off my feet. This week I've been incredibly tired. Especially tonight. I wanted to ride but am absolutely crashing and decided not to even attempt. But I'm wondering if it is because I've pushed myself with trying to do my normal "routines" and not quite recovered - double gym Mon night, yard Tues night, out with a friend Weds night, and a PT session yesterday. Have been sleeping incredibly deeply at night but feel like I could sleep the weekend away atm which is highly unusual for me.
I have what I call "covid sleep" most of the time now, I sleep solidly and deeper than ever before but I'm still tired most of the tired, the fatigue is the most debilitating symptom.

YourValentine

Visit site
Sorry I’m late replying ! I had Covid for the first time in August 2021 , I wasn’t really Ill but lost my sense of smell and taste. I really struggled to breathe and this went on for a really long time. I could get on my horse but absolutely couldn’t trot !! I couldn’t get any air in my lungs . I saw a respiratory physio and eventually got a referral to the Long Covid clinic. It was a very long wait but they really helped me. My breathing has improved so much that I can now do 20 minutes on the tread mill at the gym. I’m just off to the gym now. I started with exercise at the hospital and then exercise by referral at the local gym.
I still crash at times but at least I can trot now 😁
So glad to hear you have improved and can now manage the gym and trotting.

On the days I have the energyvto ride I can do short trots, but cantering more than 50m is out.
I've been referred to the Long Covid clinic and have my consultantation next week, hopefully something useful comes out of it.

YourValentine

Visit site
I had covid for the first time a couple of months ago. I'm still not 'normal' but I can't tell how much, if any, of that is long covid, and how much is my usual ME/CFS combined with going back to full time work after a delightful six months of travel and lazing around.

What I find most frustrating is that I can't keep my horse in consistent work. I'll commit to schooling twice a week and, just as I'm starting to see an effect, I'll have an energy crash and need to go back to plodding round the block at the weekend. And that's if I can even find the energy for that.

My back brain is also convinced that people are judging me for not seeing my horse every day. (She's on full livery - she's having all her needs met, and gets daily cuddles from my yard friends on top of that. But I'm always aware that most people are there twice a day and I'm just not able to.)
My horseis loving life a summer of stuffing his face, getting spoiled and only occasionally asked to wandering round the block.

I only go up once a day in general as well.

YourValentine

Visit site
You should find a different GP. Mine has been great, so supportive. If nothing else demand a full blood test to check nothing is out of whack.
Through the Long Covid clinic I'm doing a course called the Hope Program which is all about dealing with the psychological side of Covid. Thinking positive, constructively setting goals and managing your energy. Totally not "my sort of thing" normally, but it's actually been really helpful.

YourValentine

Visit site
If you think it was Covid I would suggest resting lots for the next week or so till you start to feel better and no try and push through it.
100% unscientific but I did in April and I think it contributed to developing Long Covid as I didn't really give my body time to heal.

Maddie Moo

Visit site
I have been under the Long Covid rehab team since March. They may offer you medication to relieve your symptoms, Famotidine and Fenafexodine, they are antihistamines and they reduce the mast cell activation which can cause your symptoms. It has massively reduced my fatigue levels but they recommended you take it for 6-8 weeks to allow to time to work to start with so don’t be too disheartened if it doesn’t appear to work straightaway. If they don’t mention it, you could ask about it. If it’s helpful, I could send you some links about it?

I now have issues with my heart but I’m still waiting to be assessed by a cardiologist at the moment.

Kunoichi73

Visit site
Oh no!! I have to say my Garmin has been registering fab sleep scores but...it isn't exactly a great reason why....

someone at work was telling me their partner has been super fatigued since getting it as one of the first and will literally sleep the weekend away and the long covid clinic has given up 😕
My Garmin's sleep tracker is rubbish. It frequently tells me I've been asleep when I know I've been awake. It usually tells me I've had a good night's sleep if it thinks I've been asleep for 7 hrs. It often mistakes lack of movement for being asleep. I wouldn't rely on it for accurate sleep tracking!

lynz88

Visit site
Which device do you have? I have the Venu 2S and it seems fairly accurate - only a few times I would disagree with the sleep score.

I'm trying not to push through and resting when I feel like I need to. I find that I need to be active to irritate the lungs to cough up the phlegm but this time around I need to balance being active and resting still. So frustrating!

Kunoichi73

Visit site
I've got a Fenix 6s, and just find that the sleep tracker is generally unreliable. It seems to get a really bad night's sleep correct, but not when I've had a not great sleep. And it seems to often base it's conclusion purely on time spent in bed, not necessarily asleep (although, as I said before, it often mistakes lack of movement for being asleep).

lynz88

Visit site
Wow that's surprising as, prior to my rocky job situation, I was looking at the Fenix range (though the 7 solar version)

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
I was so happy on Friday having got to ride for the first time in a couple of months, ticking off a 2024 horsey goal and it being a particularly good ride where I challenged and built some much needed confidence. I knew there was every chance it would be too much but I had to try and still don't regret that I did. I rested yesterday then writing for dressage this morning and now I really do not feel well.

First appointment at Long Covid clinic tomorrow. Sometimes I have hope, sometimes I question is it even really happening, and others it's like this and I just don't know what to do with myself.

YourValentine

Visit site
Oh I'm so sorry! Your hack sounded amazing.

I really hope you find the Long covid clinic helpful, if they don't offer, ask if the Hope programme is an option. It's an 8 week online program with others suffering from Long Covid that gives really practical advice and tips on managing the frustration and depression of feeling tired all the time, and ideas on managing your energy and staying with in budget. I was extremely skeptical at the beginning but found it very useful and positive.

Let me know if its not an option and I'll share the resources I saved.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Oh I'm so sorry! Your hack sounded amazing.

I really hope you find the Long covid clinic helpful, if they don't offer, ask if the Hope programme is an option. It's an 8 week online program with others suffering from Long Covid that gives really practical advice and tips on managing the frustration and depression of feeling tired all the time, and ideas on managing your energy and staying with in budget. I was extremely skeptical at the beginning but found it very useful and positive.

Let me know if its not an option and I'll share the resources I saved.
Thank you that is very kind. I am actually due to start the Hope programme this week and keep hearing good things about it so looking forward to taking some things away from that.