Long distance travelling

S_N

Visit site
Some of you may have gathered that things are afoot in the SN Horsehold! Yes I am moving! To an as yet un-reveallable location, suffice to say East Anglia. Now, I have a question about travelling my neds that distance. It took 6.5hrs in a car and that wasn't hanging around either, so I was gonna break the journey up into 2 days, as I think this is more fair - esp. on Hector. My route will be from Cornwall, so A30, M5, M42, M6, A14. Any ideas of a how to go about finding a stopover place for me and ponios in the Warks/Leics area? Thank you!!!!!

Skhosu

Visit site
TBH, I would just drive it. I've travelled several to and from england with no ill effects, plus travelled with a mare and foal from dublin, admittedly only 3 hours but none were upset (apart from the pony who ended up in the lorry 24 hrs no food or water....but that wasn't our fault)
The less broken up the less distressing/exciting etc IMHO.

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Ummmm... could've directed you to someone in Cambridge, but that's no good is it?
Was it Lately who had a website of livery yards? Assuming that you're looking for somewhere to bed neddies down for the night (rather than camp at the side of the road!
grin.gif
tongue.gif
)

S_N

Visit site
Really? You think It would be fine to just kick on? They do travel exceptionally well! I just don't want to totally knacker any one of us!! It will be in a trailer!! I think that makes a bit of a difference - maybe??? Hector loves travelling - look
grin.gif

S_N

Visit site
LOL! Actually, as you know where I'm headed, how far away are these peeps? I'm thinking proper livery here! The lovely Live_Wire is being more help than I could possibly have imagined anyone would be, but all sources are welcome!!

Zebedee

Visit site
Just get on with it!!!
They'll be fine. Esp as the majority of the journey will be on motorways / dual carriageways & be very easy riding for them. Make sure you're carrying water, & stop two, three times max to offer them a drink.
No, being in a trailer makes no difference at all!! I seem to remember an endurance world champion being trailered to the south of Spain from Cornwall with no ill effects at all. Broodmares & foals are quite often flown from one side of the world to the other as well.

Skhosu

Visit site
nah, I was talking to the people I got the big lad off, they're international event riders and they do 32 hours to rome non stop. (they must be doing something right!)
You will be tired though by the end! And if you want to break it up, go for it! Makes it a bit of an outing!

seabiscuit

Visit site
Wow how exciting!! Sorry to sound a complete dork but what county is East Anglia?? And most importantly have you got proper horse country there!?
tongue.gif

Re the transport..ask BB's as she is in Northampton I think?? which is not too far from Leics?
(sorry, my sense of direction is absymal!)

EllieBeast

Visit site
Lol, it certainly is a horsey place round here! but many of those places i dont know by word of mouth, and its nice to know good things about where youre headed!

S_N

Visit site
Yes boss
blush.gif
blush.gif
blush.gif
blush.gif
But what about the driver
k050.gif

Of course will carry water!! I was thinking of haylage, instead of hay too, for the moisture content? I have also bought a likit thingy for them as a travelling treat - garlic and parsley
grin.gif
grin.gif

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Just down the road really. The FREE field and stables (for storage) I used to have might be up for grabs if you'd like me to find out; downsides; shocking fencing (which is why I have so much electric!) although they were going to get it fixed, neighbours walking dogs in/around field and no electricity... But did I mention it was FREE? (official tenant's daughter is pony-mad and used to come and hang out in field) Probably too far away from you though. I do know of a rather nice yard in a certain place (nearly blurted it out!) which is nearer the other certain place. It has all the amenities including school and lots and lots of car-free hacking...

S_N

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Wow how exciting!! Sorry to sound a complete dork but what county is East Anglia?? And most importantly have you got proper horse country there!?
tongue.gif

Re the transport..ask BB's as she is in Northampton I think?? which is not too far from Leics?
(sorry, my sense of direction is absymal!)

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO!!! BBs is in Oxfordshire hun - well that's what I thought anyhow
blush.gif

It's a VERY fast horsey area - hint, hint, hint!!!!

When it's all 100% certain I will reveal all, atm it's 99.9% certain. Need to recieve some paperwork and sign stuff first!!

Zebedee

Visit site
Yep, good idea re haylage (just wanted to get you used to the idea of driving there in one hit before I mentioned the scarey subject of haynets in the trailer!!).

S_N

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Just down the road really. The FREE field and stables (for storage) I used to have might be up for grabs if you'd like me to find out; downsides; shocking fencing (which is why I have so much electric!) although they were going to get it fixed, neighbours walking dogs in/around field and no electricity... But did I mention it was FREE? (official tenant's daughter is pony-mad and used to come and hang out in field) Probably too far away from you though. I do know of a rather nice yard in a certain place (nearly blurted it out!) which is nearer the other certain place. It has all the amenities including school and lots and lots of car-free hacking...

[/ QUOTE ]

OOOOOOooooOOOOooooOOOOOooooOOOOOoooooOOOOOOooooOOOO

Yes pwease!!!!!! TO ALLLLLLLL!!!!!!!
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

S_N

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
PMSL I thank you!! NOW I can see what you mean!
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

So it is around NEWMARKET! How COOL!!
laugh.gif
Love Newmarket...

[/ QUOTE ]

Newmarket *looks around* where? Oh yes, isn't that in like Lancashire? Therefore I CAN'T be going THERE can I
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

SHHHSSSHHHHHHH you !!!!!

This is the trip I'll be doing
regions-uk.gif

S_N

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
thats not very far is it? only a few inches.........
tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

PMSL!!! I did 800 and something miles Thursday/Friday last
crazy.gif