Long distance travelling

Tia

Visit site
To be honest, I would also just do the journey in one day. I've travelled my horses for many hours at a time and they were always fine. Just make a point of stopping at the services every couple of hours to give them a break and a quick drink if they want it.

They'll be fine and I'm sure that if you were to unload at a strange stables then it could disconcert them even more than if you did the whole trip in one go.

Best of luck. I love Newmarket too!!
smile.gif

GTs

Visit site
I would just drive it - my horses did 14 hours a day, for 4 days straight just make sure you offer them water every 3 hours - I would not even try and stop to walk them around.

I think it is just better to get it over when they are there they can settle in - rather then get heeved up the next day for more of the same.

I am sure if they have a haynet 4.5 hours or 9 will really make no difference.

Bossanova

Visit site
I'd just keep driving, theyre amazing at what they can take even at Hector's age.
Sounds like exciting times ahead, I may be calling on you as I'm half planning to move up there for a job in the not too distant future

BBs

Visit site
How exciting
smile.gif

Good luck with the move.

Personally I would do the whole journey in one. Horses travel well no matter how old they are.

It will be knackering for you, but if you can get someone to share the driving
smile.gif

Tempi

Visit site
Bloss travelled an 8hour journey to the U25s in lincoln with me in the summer. She travels well. We stopped at a service station and i gave her a drink and then carried on. she was fine. I couldve got on and competed her the same day and she wouldve been no different. i rode her when we got there and she was her normal self
smile.gif

sojeph

Visit site
When I moved here to Devon it took 6.5 hours to drive my lot down . They were all fine. I'd do it in one trip. I think it would be more stressful for them to stop off somewhere strange overnight TBH.

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
I too would do it in one go, Springy was on the lorry from around 2pm till 10.45pm! And apart from being hungry she had no ill effects. Haylage is a good idea as long as they are used to eating it, it may be worth offering them some sloppy sugarbeet when you stop too to get water in to them if they are reluctant to drink. I think the main thing is to get help with the driving as you don't want to get too tired and give them a rough ride.
How exciting you will be only 45min from me!
grin.gif
Can I come and meet the lovely Hector?!

Good luck with your new adventure, sounds very exciting!
laugh.gif