Long Journey.

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
We are off to Scotland for a week in September with the dogs. The satnav is saying it’s a 7.5 hour drive. We will obviously want to stop for toilet breaks ourselves and for a drink, but what to do with the dogs. Both dogs travel well in the car, but longest journey has probably been 2/2.5 hours. When we stop, do we just get them out for a quick leg stretch and a drink and a wee, or stop somewhere and take them for a proper walk? We are planning to leave home at 6am, which is roughly when they have their morning walk before I go to work. We’ll be taking them out after their breakfast as usual before we leave. How often should we stop for them? They will be in the back of the OH’s car (Range Rover) and will have their beds in there.

Stiff Knees

Visit site
Whenever we've taken the dogs on long car journeys we have only had stops for a drink, wee and leg stretch, never a proper walk, these can easily turn a 7 hour car journey into a 10 hour car journey and we think it's better to get there and get the dogs settled. We let them dictate the number of stops, if they're settled or sleeping we plough on, if they start to shuffle about we stop. We've always arrived with calm unstressed dogs this way.

Chiffy

Visit site
TW, I did regular trips between Hertfordshire and SW Scotland before I moved up here. Always two or three dogs with me for the approx 7 hr journey.
They had a very early small breakfast and a run out to wee and poo. I mostly only stopped once at Scotch Corner and they just had a leg stretch and a wee and drink. Occasionally I stopped twice.They always just settled and slept or watched the world go by.
As long as your dogs are happy with car travel and have space they will be fine.

Karran

Visit site
I did London to Mull last year with Mrs Spaniel. We stopped overnight in Derbyshire with friends and then did the rest in one day with toilet stops every 2 hours or so. (We took advantage of that more than she did!)
Taking her up to Driffield in Yorkshire in a fortnight. Thats around 4 hours and 220 or so miles. I'll probably stop halfway but then we're just gonna power through!

Stiff Knees

Visit site
No, it’s a cottage we found via one of the husky groups I’m in, will send you a link. I didn’t know about WGSD’s house until recently.

They have Bravecto every 3 months which I think covers ticks as well as fleas.
It does, but would still take a tick twister, we took one and used it even though they were covered with Bravecto.

Parrotperson

Visit site
we often go on holidays with dogs and drive for 7/8 hours. I wouldn't stress. Have a look at your route before hand and work out the possible stopping places. make the lunch break somewhere you can take them a slightly longer wee break. Once you're in Scotland and off the main roads its easier because everywhere is so lovely! Mine then get a good walk when we arrive (even though I'm usually shattered!).

I have this as well https://www.amazon.co.uk/Walking-Dog-Motorway-walks-drivers/dp/1845841026

Peter7917

Visit site
I would just give a meaty walk in the morning and then crack on, let them out for the toilet when you stop but I wouldn't be stopping for a walk.

vallin

Visit site
We drove Daisy from Gloucester to Fontainebleau and just stopped for wee breaks as and when we needed them and she spent the majority of it sleeping!

islander

Visit site
We have just travelled from Perthshire to Hampshire, no problem, but we had quite a few stops for us and dogs to stretch their legs and have a drink. Dogs managed fine and were walked when we arrived, they were very tired that night!