Long lasting dog chews

MissTyc

Visit site
I'm always amazed by the concept of "long lasting" chews as any dog I have ever had makes it a total mission to eat whatever I give as quickly as possible.

I don't ever use treated rawhide or cooked/roast bones, etc.

I find that anything too hard and not tasty enough just gets turned into a toy rather than chewed, so I have a selection of deer ears and horse hoof trimmings (from my big cob!) lying about the house. They get played with, occasionally thrown around/rolled on, sometimes half-heartedly chewed. Low value but have their place.

Anything too tasty disappears in a flash ... it's spectacular. My terrier learned to match the speed of my GSD x Rottie, so it's a lost cause.

Biggest successes:
- Ostrich bone (bird bones are "hollow" so allegedly safe, but I found they DO splinter + make a big mess)
- Antler (I buy the ones that are cut in half and they scrape the inside out; if they get bored of it I put it in warn water for 5 min and that makes it tasty again). Not had any splintering but have heard it can happen. I choose mine v carefully.
- Dehydrated tendon or strips of hide (beef or horse are best; these really do last a very long time but are not cheap to buy)

Generally I default to a frozen kong filled up with a mushy version of dinner. It's the cheapest and longest lasting option in our household. I always use a kong at least one size bigger than the one recommended for my size of dog, or they go through it too fast!

Karran

Visit site
Fluffy cow ears! especially if they have the tendon (?) at the base. Takes my two a good half hour to get through! I've also got them deer legs which have been gnawed at off and on all over winter!

Carrottom

Visit site
Fluffy cow ears! especially if they have the tendon (?) at the base. Takes my two a good half hour to get through! I've also got them deer legs which have been gnawed at off and on all over winter!
May I ask where you get the deer legs from?

windand rain

Visit site
Antlers here too son is a warden for a stately home and collects some fallen ones when he finds them but are expensive to buy

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
my terriers destroy everything apart from antlers, i make sure i dont get the ones with the pointed ends and get the middle size. they last for ages and i have got about 8 of them laying around the house as they chop and change ...