long leather boots- what a minefield!

chaps89

Visit site
After a bit of a saga I have returned my heated socks that were my christmas present from OH and with the money am buying a pair of long boots. £140 from him, anything above that I need to put in.
So, I bought mark Todd field competition, tuffa proshow and ariat bromonts to try.
I'm now very confused!
The bromonts are actually the cheapest (thankyou to whoever posted about the equestrian.com sale on them!) but feel very bulky and are very tall- cutting into the backs of my knees and catching the front of my knee caps when just standing too.
The Mt are too wide (I did order the wide intentionally) and about the same height wise as the bromonts but feel less bulky and comfier. Also about £70 more expensive.
The tuffa fit the best of the lot but aren't so comfy through the sole of the foot and are just right height wise.
I know from experience with my short ariats that they are painfully uncomfy to start but soon become the comfiest thing ever.
How to choose which pair and just how much do they drop- I would say there is about an inch difference between the tuffas and bromonts? Would worry about having the tuffas and them dropping too much or the bromonts/mt and them not dropping enough!
Ta!

Pie's mum

Visit site
Have you got heel raisers in the Bromonts? I started off with 2 in each boot but they have since dropped enough that I've been able to take them out (and put them in the new ones I got from equestrian.com!!!).

Micropony

Visit site
You want the Ariat Heritage Contour. They come in a shorter length.
I loved my Bromonts and had two pairs that I wore to death. I didn't find they needed breaking in, and didn't find they dropped much either.
When the second pair gave up the ghost I tried to replace them and was distraught to find they had changed the cut and my legs were now too short! Can't bear scabs on the backs of my knees, and can't be faffing around with heel risers.
The heritage jobbies aren't insulated and don't have the suede on the inside, neither of which remotely bother me, but also don't have the stretchy leather that goes all saggy, I think I actually prefer them to my old Bromonts. Had them a year or so now, ride in them 3 or 4 times a week and they still look smart, I'm very pleased.

teapot

Visit site
I loved my Bromonts and had two pairs that I wore to death. I didn't find they needed breaking in, and didn't find they dropped much either.
When the second pair gave up the ghost I tried to replace them and was distraught to find they had changed the cut and my legs were now too short! Can't bear scabs on the backs of my knees, and can't be faffing around with heel risers.
The heritage jobbies aren't insulated and don't have the suede on the inside, neither of which remotely bother me, but also don't have the stretchy leather that goes all saggy, I think I actually prefer them to my old Bromonts. Had them a year or so now, ride in them 3 or 4 times a week and they still look smart, I'm very pleased.

I got the Heritage Contours for Christmas, gorgeous boots. Mine just need to drop a tiny bit more and I'll be happy. Re Ariat sizing, I'm 5ft 11 but still don't need the 'tall' length - Ariat are quite generous when it comes to boot height it seems.

Micropony

Visit site
I got the Heritage Contours for Christmas, gorgeous boots. Mine just need to drop a tiny bit more and I'll be happy. Re Ariat sizing, I'm 5ft 11 but still don't need the 'tall' length - Ariat are quite generous when it comes to boot height it seems.

That makes me feel so much better about my stumpy little legs, thank you!

chaps89

Visit site
I have short legs, which this has definitely highlighted!
Also, how snug should they be? I ordered wide in the MT and they were huge, and the 'full' in the bromont which fit ok, not overly tight, again not sure if they stretch with use. The tuffas fitted snugly without cutting my circulation off and were just standard fit.

The heritage look good, I will have to save up a bit more before I can buy them but that shouldn't be a problem.
However, the short (yay, they exist!) are the same height as the tuffas so should be the right height, but will they drop and look silly/feel uncomfy once worn in if I start with them at the right height?

Also, brown or black? My preference is always brown but black seems more correct? (we're talking local showing and unaff dressage at elementary level, small chance of county shows in equitation/riding horse type classes)
I don't compete too often so keen to get it right as they won't be being worn too often and therefore should hopefully last a long time!

LeannePip

Visit site

^^Same!

I've had mine (heritage) almost a year now and they havent dropped all that much i still have the heel risers in them, they are super comfy and clean up really well despite the hardship i put them through!

SallyBatty

Visit site

Glad I'm not the only person who doesn't like the cut of the new Bromonts compared to the old ones. I have always had the non-insulated version. They are bulkier round the ankles, taller than before, the leather is stiffer and therefore haven't really dropped much at all. Will definitely have to try the Heritage next time.

McFluff

Visit site
My bromonts went from too tall to just right in a few (painful!) weeks. Now super comfy. They are nice and snug, but not a fight to pull up zip. Clean up beautifully. Had them about 6 months, so not sure if new or old model (got them from equestrian.com).

pennandh

Visit site
Also, brown or black? My preference is always brown but black seems more correct? (we're talking local showing and unaff dressage at elementary level, small chance of county shows in equitation/riding horse type classes)
I don't compete too often so keen to get it right as they won't be being worn too often and therefore should hopefully last a long time!

It depends a bit on what you wear to compete. Boots and hats (or velvet silks if you wear a skull) should ideally be the same colour (well, you can wear a navy hat with black boots, of course, but I'm not that sure why people wear navy hats in the first place), and you don't wear brown boots with a black jacket because it looks silly. I'm not entirely sure about Riding Horses (I've never owned one), but if you're doing classes that you can wear tweed in, brown boots are fine (I have some second-hand/ex-display Hawkins ones for side-saddle), and tweed-and-brown should be fine for unaffiliated dressage too, as long as you look tidy.

xgemmax

Visit site
I have the mark todd ones and they're the comfiest boots i've had, i got the shirt version as i have short legs and they're just the right height. Don't take much wearing in either :)

chaps89

Visit site
Thanks all.
Decided to return all 3 pairs and save up so I have a better budget. Ariat heritages will be first on the list to try but if they're no good at least I'll have a little more money to shop with and look at alternatives.
I'm glad people said about the bromonts changing- I tried them on a few years ago and thought they were great but the quality didn't seem so good this time round I have to say and I decided against taking a punt on them dropping.
I have black and tweed jacket but black hat so black boots it shall be too :)

MagicMelon

Visit site
My original Bromonts dropped well and they've been the comfiest boots I've ever had (also very handy they are waterproof!), because they're about 8 years old now I stuck with Ariat and bought the red twisted zip ones (cant remember name) and one of those is cutting into the back of my heel so badly I was bleeding! Trying to get through the pain as Im hoping they'll be as comfy as the others eventually... but they aren't the same fit at all (had to get "short" length of these new ones!). Will still keep my original old faithfuls though (for non red-allowed competitions!). Wish I'd just bought new Bromonts though!