Long mane and reins

OvergrownShetland

Visit site
I have a dales x cob and he was a very long mane!! I usually plait it up in a running plait for schooling, but hacking out I tend to leave it "au natural". My rubber reins rub his mane, so I was wondering what people use/recommend to stop this. would plain leather or laced reins be better?

Fides

Visit site
I know it sounds obvious but hold your hands further apart? I have a welsh with a long mane and it's never an issue. If your hands are close enough for the reins to touch the mane, won't it create a lateral disruption in the elbow-hand-bit line?

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I have found that continental reins work best for day to day riding with long mane, with leather (plain best) for posh going out, adding plaited if 2 reins required, to the top of a pair for showing.

Would not use rubber reins on a native, except in rare circumstances, imho

Anna*

Visit site
Another vote for continental reins! I'm always pulling out bits of mane - I think rubber reins would finish the job! Do want to get a nice leather pair for 'best' though ;-)

image_zpse4651e1c.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited:

Fides

Visit site
Another vote for continental reins! I'm always pulling out bits of mane - I think rubber reins would finish the job! Do want to get a nice leather pair for 'best' though ;-)

Ahh THAT long? My advice wouldn't be much help lol

alainax

Visit site
My boys is always in plaits. I get tangled in the mane otherwise! Although if we are doing a particularly uphill canter, I have been whacked by a plait in the face :p

OvergrownShetland

Visit site

(Given up trying to insert a photograph!)

Your ponies' mane is as long as mine! If continental work for you, I'll deffo give them a go!!
Not too fussed about getting some for best - the only outing I have planned this year is our first ODE! (EEEEEEEEEEK) So Continental reins are probably a good shout! Thanks!

Anna*

Visit site
Your ponies' mane is as long as mine! If continental work for you, I'll deffo give them a go!!
Not too fussed about getting some for best - the only outing I have planned this year is our first ODE! (EEEEEEEEEEK) So Continental reins are probably a good shout! Thanks!

Excellent! I'd only ever bought reins according to what I liked until I had this to deal with! ;-) Good luck!

Breez

Visit site
Avoid rubber reins at all costs :) I always used plain leather and never had a problem - my old boy's mane nearly touched his knees.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I have a dales x cob and he was a very long mane!! I usually plait it up in a running plait for schooling, but hacking out I tend to leave it "au natural". My rubber reins rub his mane, so I was wondering what people use/recommend to stop this. would plain leather or laced reins be better?

with a long mane like your horse I fail to see holding your reins further apart would alleviate this as wind blows it.

I hate rubber reins, I use continental ones with my long reins.

Beausmate

Visit site
I had this problem and I hate continental reins, so I managed to find a pair of plaited cotton reins. Crosby reins, made in Walsall but I had to import them from the USA! They are pretty good though and now they've got a touch greasy (yuk!) they have become very grippy, more than my rubber ones. No mane pulled out at all, though I usually plait it so I don't end up with a handful of hair and the beasty doesn't get too hot, plus the weight on the rein affects the aids.

e2bcd253-61f1-4870-9bf2-d6fb56f5dbfc_zps3a3f3895.jpg