long mane but scraggly at the withers!

mandwhy

Visit site
My haffy has a fabulous long mane, I am generally proud of its lovely long blondeness, but it all starts to go wrong at the withers...

IMAG1778_zps19acce63.jpg

What do other folk do about this if anything? Of course it is not a huge deal generally just wondering what would make it look best for in hand showing. Shortening the general length maybe?

It always works its way under the saddle which is annoying as it breaks and I don't imagine she finds it very comfy so I am careful to extract it (the gel pad I have wants to eat it). Part of me wants to clip it at the withers or something!

She has worn a rug some of the time during this winter which again has not helped.

I don't brush it or faff with it much, just oil it to detangle, and I'm pretty good at trimming it with a razor comb.

mandwhy

Visit site
Haha I had just plaited it whilst waiting for vet to come and do her teeth, then let it down and she looked even more like a princess :-D

I'm scared to snip it off, but it would be less annoying!

Floxie

Visit site
You could plait it forwards a little when you want to ride - like a backwards running plait from the withers forward?