Long pasterns...

anna22

Visit site
I am looking at horse with a view to allowing the old donkey (now 19) a bit of a quieter life after next season. Not that this season has been that busy (or successful!! :rolleyes:) but he's a big lad and I would like to not have to rely on him soley... if he's fit and raring to go then I may have 2 to keep me busy :p

So, I am smitten with one horse, the only thing I can see "wrong" with his conformation is he is a bit long in the pastern in front. He's a tb raced twice as a 5yo (this year) and was rubbish... very sweet temperament etc etc. And totally gorgeous *swoon* :eek:

So, basically, what are eventers views on long pasterns? I doubt I'll ever be going into the dizzy height of the "stars" but I would like a crack at Novice one day. I've never had a horse with long pasterns, and I can't recall seeing many ?, but have heard they cope with firm/hard work better but are at an increased risk of soft tissue injuries due to the extra extension that can happen over the fetlock, and are a more comfortable ride? I know conformation isn't everything (esp. tbs!) and for a tb this guy has a very well set neck and good width of shoulder and could easily be mistaken for having a bit of irish in him.

Thoughts and views welcomed, a lovely sunday morning egg and bacon muffin on offer (extra crispy streaky bacon too :D)

Last edited:

Lolo

Visit site
I think long pasterns are very common in TBs, from what I've read, and whilst not ideal don't cause too many issues- it seems short pasterns are what you really want to avoid!

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I never touch long pasterns. Last horse we had with them blew both tendons on the beach. They have huge amounts of pressure placed on them when jumping so why take the risk?

Luci07

Visit site
Long pasterns causes more pressure on the tendons. Years ago I had a horse with long sloping pasterns and he was very comfortable and had him till he was 27. However I would not choose one like that now. He was a full up 16.2 and several vets told me I should keep his top ridden weight to no more than 12 stone INCLUDING saddle!

seabsicuit2

Visit site
I was looking at the Weatherbys TB stallion book,& there were comformation photos of about 100 stallions in there.
I would say about half of the toughest performers had what I would call too- long pasterns- these were horses that were graded and stakes winners from the ages of 2 to 5. Race training is the toughest horse sport there is so I would say that long pasterns don't always mean that the horse is going to break.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
There's long and there's loooong. How sloping they are is also a factor that needs to be considered.

Do you have a side on photo showing his legs and hooves?

anna22

Visit site
No not a very good one anyway, I will try and get a decent one.

It's interesting to hear everyones thoughts, I have never really been a stickler for conformation. But "good" conformation can only help I guess.

Will try and get a better photo.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
There will always be exceptions and I know a few with rotten confo who have performed but ultimately why buy a potential time bomb?

simplyhunting

Visit site
Wouldn't touch one. Our old tb boy has long pasterns-hence why his tendon went in training! Though they are comfy to ride, ours much prefers soft ground (partly due to his knee action though) luckily he was a freebie and worth his weight in gold to nanny babies ..

ElleJS

Visit site
I had a mare with v long Pasterns she went 4* amd 1m40 SJ. Never ever had a days lameness and never even had a tendon scare or even a vet till the day she dropped dead!!

EstherYoung

Visit site
A lot depends on how good the joints and the feet are that the long pasterns are attached to. I would be tempted to video the horse being ridden fast and jumping, and then freeze frame through to work out where that particular horse absorbs the strain. Particularly note the fetlocks and the knees - they'll often look back at the knee at speed with this conformation, even if the knee looks straight standing still. Hyperflexion isn't a desperately helpful thing, and if the horse relies on hyperflexion of one particular area on every stride, that's not great.

anna22

Visit site
In the photo they don't look overly long, in every other way his conformation is fantastic for a TB. I'm going to see him week after next so will reserve judgement until then.

Thanks for the thoughts... guess it depends on the horse! :)