Long Reining advice

BucksFizz

Visit site
Hi, I am hand walking my mare for 25-30 mins per day to try and build up the strength in her legs after 2 operations. I thought that it might be a good idea to try long reining but I've never tried it before if anyone has any advice that might be useful please? I was going to buy a roller and another lunge line. Is there anything else I will need? Thanks :)

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
For close long lining/out on the roads I use a single long lunge line and an additional clip to attach the handle end to the bit ( so the weight is the same on both sides rather than threading through).
I also have a pair with cord ends which I prefer in a lot of ways as they adjust much quicker. I think I only use two lunge lines when I'm mostly lungeing with two reins.

I have always long lined mine for rehab as he really enjoys it and is a lazy arsed walker if you are in front of him.

be positive

Visit site
If the OP has never long reined before then using 2 reins is essential initially in case things go wrong then the horse can be put onto a circle to regain control, I would either start with a helper or by lunging on a circle with 2 reins and gradually increasing the size, change shape and direction, if the horse is good and accepts it in an enclosed area and the halts are obedient then venture outside but be very careful about going onto roads alone if you are not totally confident in the way the horse responds.

pennyturner

Visit site
My top tip is, like driving, to be very aware of the moment that the rein is taken up as you ask the horse forward and GIVE WITH YOUR HANDS right away. Otherwise the horse walks into the contact, and you've just trained them to baulk.

whiteflower

Visit site
I would suggest getting an instructor with experience in long reining into help you. Alot can go wrong if not done correctly and with a horse that rehabbing you want to make sure you know what you are doing and are fully in control. Last think you need is to get tangled up if the horse needs to be put on a circle. In my mind there is an art to correct long reining and getting a horse to work correctly on line and a lot of this comes from feel. Maybe have a go on an experienced horse first as well.

be positive

Visit site
True BP, though as this was for rehab I was kind of thinking circles would not be wanted.

I was thinking an inexperienced handler with unknown quantity horse could be a disaster on the roads so would start on circles until confident, it may only take one or two short sessions to get going.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I agree, somewhere along the line I had presumed the horse was experienced! I was lucky soon found out Frank was a pro!

Polos Mum

Visit site
OP - I'd try two things, find an instructor / experienced friend to long rein yours for the first time or two - just to see how she is.

Secondly I'd find a friend that has a horse used to long reining and ask them to try on theirs first. I like it and find it a really useful tool but nothing beats knowing how it should feel with a horse that knows what they are doing.

Leo Walker

Visit site
If you have to go out on the roads then long rein but have someone at the horses head. You really dont want to be learning to long rein on your own on a road. The other thing to bear in mind is that you will need to stop and go to the horses head at any junctions. From a long reining position you wont be able to see the road is clear. Thats where the second person is invaluable. My youngster is being prepared to be broken to drive and has long reined out on the roads, always with another person there and now I know she is fine we've swapped back to hacking out instead as you are just so vunerable.

If you have access to a school or paddock you could start there on your own. It will be pretty obvious from the off if the horse will take to it. Long reining for education is a skilled job but the hacking equivalent is really not that difficult.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
I had a lesson only last week. I was shown how to check the horse will be ok with it, how to attach the lines (leaving enough to get over the bum) how to set up with a saddle instead of a roller etc. After that we went through checking the horse will move away from the pressure, moving off, turning, stopping and backing up. We were shown the importance of releasing the pressure and contact. By the end of the lesson I was long lining the horse through cones, over a tarpaulin and even over a small cross pole in trot!

I got home and tried it on my pony and he took to it brilliantly. Without the training I wouldn't have had the confidence to know what to ask of him and how to ask it. He needs me to tell him things clearly because, without a rider, he's not that brave. I'm hoping with long lining I can start to encourage him to be braver (and also I can introduce trot poles to the clumsy fool without risking a rider's safety when he inevitably trips)

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I find lunge lines far too bulky and rather long for longreining with. I always make my own plough lines from soft cotton rope which I find much easier to handle.

BucksFizz

Visit site
Thanks for your advice everyone! I certainly wouldn't be going on the roads it would only be in her paddock at first and then maybe round the fields on the farm. I will see if anyone else stabled with me can show me the basics and see how we get on.

Orangehorse

Visit site
I think the best advice is to beware you don't get a kick in the face!

Orange and Lemon, that sounds like a wonderful training session. I have done long lining under supervision on my own and other horses, but it was no where near as good as your lesson sounds.

Having once had a horse bolt when it had something round its back end (having previously been OK with it) - which was terrifying - that is also something to bear in mind, start safely in a confined area and be aware of what can go wrong.