Long socks with no chaps

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I have done it and i found it ok the socks protect your leg from pinching from the stirup leathers, but I have not done it recently because I don't ride in short boots anymore because I have a metal plate in my ankle and the short boots rub on it.

AFB

Visit site
I've done it on occasion in summer and didn't find I was well enough protected from the stirrup leathers - OK for pottering around hacking but fast work or schooling would be a no from me!

Roxylola

Visit site
I do it a lot. I tend to wear a pair of shorts boots for most things on the yard, I have a decent pair of long boots to ride in but I don't do jobs in them. If I'm just going for a hack or a quick schooling session I often don't bother changing them.
Socks have to be long and reasonably tight otherwise breeches ride up a bit. And it can get a bit exciting if you need a bit of extra grip at any point, you don't appreciate the stability boots or chaps give against the saddle until you don't have them

crazyandme

Visit site
I was doing it 15 years ago, so certainly not a new thing! But as others, it was ideal for endurance as it helped protect legs from stirrup leathers whilst not being too hot

Annagain

Visit site
You can get 'sock chaps' these days too. I was given a pair by a Secret Santa a few years ago - they're thick socks with silicon grips on the inside, like the silicon grips you get on some jodphurs / riding tights these days.

planete

Visit site
I have to use short boots one size too big to accommodate my wonky left foot and I have twice had to return chaps that did not fit. I am 5ft nothing and the first time the leg part was too long, the second time they were the right length but too small to fit over the boots. I have given up until I feel I can go to a shop and try. Best socks for the job please anyone? (I have read less than complimentary reviews on the sock chaps).

IrishMilo

Visit site
It's not a new thing - it was very common when I was younger. I don't do it as I prefer the support of a long boot and find the leathers still pinch!

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
I have done it in the summer if I’m just mooching around or doing bareback.

Definitely not a new thing! I’ve got photos of my mum doing it in the 80’s!

FDLady

Visit site
I've done this for the last 15 odd years. If im riding my own horses then i always make the effort to pop my long boots on so they become the normal to "feel" the horses through but if im hoping on and off clients horses between i just find it a lot more time effective to have the socks there for comfort with my paddock boots so im not messing about with boots on/off constantly. I personally find it really comfortable but thats probably because its what im use to.

ShowJumperBeckii

Visit site
I always did it! Til I got a New flatwork instructor and the first thing she said before we started was she doesn’t want me without long boots or chaps again! Apparently you aren’t able to put your leg on/use it correctly or well with just socks!

VioletStripe

Visit site
I always do it. Can't be bothered with chaps, and I rarely use my long boots now - never really liked my 'new' pair of long boots, but refuse to buy another pair until the long boots die because I don't want to be wasteful. Bit of a catch-22 really :rolleyes: (and I'm 5 years into this arrangement!)

Plus, I like wearing funky socks. :cool: OH got me some very cool patterned ones and some Hi-Viz ones for Xmas, and when I'm feeling fancy I like to match my other pairs to my top and pretend I'm a pro....

Pippity

Visit site
I'd like to do it, because I have some incredibly funky socks that I'd like to show off, but I can never get the socks over the breeches without the breeches getting crumpled and uncomfortable. It's possible I just have fatter calves than my socks are designed for.

yhanni

Visit site
Don't you get horse hair poking through them?? You might all brush your horses more thoroughly than I do though!! I think it would make me itchy ..