Long term loan of a youngster ?

Gingerwitch

Visit site
Ok - I cannot sell her as I am really attached, but I am not in a physical position to back and rider her away and cope with the young horse "moments" - so do you think I could find someone to have her on loan for a couple of years? Preferably from the home yard - but if necessary I would let her move within a local proximity.

Where would your try to advertiser her ?

ihatework

Visit site
It's always that tricky balance of finding someone who is good enough to bring on a youngster yet who is also willing to plough all their time, effort, emotion a d money into someone else's horse.
I wouldn't do it I'm afraid.

hnmisty

Visit site
You might struggle to find someone who is willing to do for free what other people are paid to do (ie bring her on). Also personally speaking, I wouldn't want to take on a horse I knew I had to give back, after 2 years I would have strugglde not to have become really attached.

Abbeygale

Visit site
It's not something that I would do - I couldn't put so much time and effort into something that I wasn't going to reap the rewards.

But, having said that - there is always someone, somewhere that will do something ;)

Gingerwitch

Visit site
If I knew the person was really attached, I would have no qualms of leaving her with them - I have 2 others to ride and work with so its not like I would be breathing down there necks to get her once she is useful, but I am so so struggling to sell her as I am so very attached to her.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
I am working on that as we speak - she just had one of those baby moments today and I just could not move quick enough to keep up with her so I took a real confidence knock - but I think that would be a better way to go :)

Goldenstar

Visit site
I would not do it knowing the work it is and what it costs I would just buy one .
I do however have a friend who took on a young horse in in her case she moves a lot with her husbands work and does not the unhappiness of having to part with horses at short notice she has the mare on a ship it home tomorrow basis she can send it back immediately at any point.
So it's not impossible to find people .

HaffiesRock

Visit site
I have a youngster on loan but it is permanent for as long as I want. The couple I have the pony from are an older couple who happened across the pony by accident. They have land and stables which their grand daughter uses, grand daughter bought a pony that didn't make the height and put it up for sale, couple loved the pony and bought her as a pet. She became a typical bored 4 year old pony and too much for the couple. I have her on loan now and I am as certain as I can be that they will not ask for her back. They love her to bits so I know will never sell her (maybe to me in the future) and she is of no use to them other than a field ornament. I have backed her and she is now being ridden away and learning her way as a ridden pony. She is doing absolutely fabulously and the owners are very pleased. Yes, there is always a chance it will go wrong and they will ask for her back, but its a risk I have taken after doing of much as I can to ensure I keep her.

I personally would not have taken her on if it was a 2 year loan though.

Last edited:

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Ok - I cannot sell her as I am really attached, but I am not in a physical position to back and rider her away and cope with the young horse "moments" - so do you think I could find someone to have her on loan for a couple of years? Preferably from the home yard - but if necessary I would let her move within a local proximity.

Where would your try to advertiser her ?

So basically you want someone to back her and bring her on for you and pay for the privilege? Then when she is going well you will just take her back and say goodbye to them? Would someone want to do this? I wouldn't. :(

kassieg

Visit site
Where are you based?
Personally I wouldn't want to do that. I'd expect to be paid to do it not the other way round.

I think sadly the people that would be willing to do that wouldn't actually be experienced enough to do a good job

You might get someone if you paid them to break then they might produce after that just paying livery etc if they could do things their way

Abacus

Visit site
I wouldn't want to do it, and there are enough cheap young horses about that anyone good enough will just acquire their own horse to back and bring on. Sounds like you need to pay someone to do what you are asking. However, you might find someone if you advertise - try the usual options - Horsequest and Horsemart, Preloved. I'm not sure I would trust anyone but a very good professional with an unbroken horse though...

Gingerwitch

Visit site
So basically you want someone to back her and bring her on for you and pay for the privilege? Then when she is going well you will just take her back and say goodbye to them? Would someone want to do this? I wouldn't. :(

If you read my posts, you would see that I have 2 other horses that I have to ride, so if they were attached then no I would not be wanting to take her back the second she was going well0

Goldenstar

Visit site
Genuine question Why don't you pay someone to get her going ?
That's what people over faced by a youngster usually do .
Then get help with her as you need to.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
Genuine question Why don't you pay someone to get her going ?
That's what people over faced by a youngster usually do .
Then get help with her as you need to.

Because anyone any good wants the horse at their yard and after a recently bad experiance I want to be able to keep an eye on what is going on. I am currently at my dressage trainers yard but they wont get invloved in a youngster and don't do jumping :(

khalswitz

Visit site
I've done this before, except that owner covered all expenses and competition entries. I was willing to ride for nothing as didn't have a long term buy and sell project, and she was nice, but wouldn't have had it on loan and paid for it, to hand it back again.

Idea though - try advertising to uni students if you're in range? You could get a horseless, good rider, who doesn't want the commitment of a horse but will ride her for you for free just to have a ride. You will likely have to pay your livery etc yourself though...

Goldenstar

Visit site
Because anyone any good wants the horse at their yard and after a recently bad experiance I want to be able to keep an eye on what is going on. I am currently at my dressage trainers yard but they wont get invloved in a youngster and don't do jumping :(

But you are considering loaning her surely it would better for her to go off for three months to learn what she needs to know then you could have her education continued at your present yard.
Horses go away for schooling all the time and survive the experiance as long as you see them regularly and it's a good place charging enough that you have references for .
Putting a youngster on loan seems a huge risk .

nikicb

www.facebook.com
If you read my posts, you would see that I have 2 other horses that I have to ride, so if they were attached then no I would not be wanting to take her back the second she was going well0

I did read all your posts on this thread and see that you have two others to ride. However you say that you would want to loan for a couple of years while she goes through her baby/teenage phases. I'm trying to think of this from a potential loaner's point of view. What is in it for them? Yes there are people that bring on horses for others, but usually they are paid for it. I'm just wondering who would want to do this with the risk that they would pay to put in the work and then the horse could be taken from them. On the flipside, I have no issue having a 'crash dummy' ride a younger horse - I have been open about having someone do this for me with my boy, but I pay them to do so.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
So let's see....you want someone to come to your yard, break your slightly difficult young horse under your watchful eye, ride it and train it for a couple of years, be experienced enough to do all this competently, and all for free? Dream on; what kind of an eejit would want to do all that? Either sell it, pay someone to to the work, or suck it up and do it yourself.

Abacus

Visit site

So why do you have her? I'm not having a pop, genuinely interested in why you have and are paying for an unbroken horse that you want someone else to take on for a time, and you don't mind that time being extended if they like her. What's in it for you, apart from being fond of her?

Asha

Visit site

You just need to do your homework, and you will find someone to come to you. I have 2 x 5 YO's, that need a far better rider. So the lady who backed 1 of them, now schools them both for me, at my place. Yes its costs a fair bit, but shes doing a brilliant job, and they are coming along a treat. IF they show any real talent she will compete them too

Sounds like you are either going to have to sell her, or dig deep !

Vickijay

Visit site
Sorry to say that I agree with most of the above posters. I wouldn't be interested in paying for one, even if the owner said they wouldn't want the ride on the horse long term. We all know people and situations change.

That being said, if it was a horse that would potentially really improve me later on I might consider it. This did happen, I was offered a very nicely bred youngster (Grand Prix stallion, out of the owners 3* mare, which she bred herself out of her 2* mare) because the owner was too old to ride him and he was her 3rd generation baby. He was a very classy horse and his owner would of contributed to training & competitions. It still ended up being a no though. All the work, time, neckstrap holding & money just wasn't worth it for a horse that could be taken away at any time.

The problem for me would be, the type of person that you would want to start your youngster will most probably not be interested in paying for the privilege, the person that would do it, would probably not be the person you would want to start your youngster.

starandgarfy51

Visit site
Hi
I took on loan an unbroken four year old mare. My friends were telling me be cautious, be wary of a very common scenario, horse is backed, ridden away and owner wants the horse back.
However for me,at the time i needed something to focus on and wanted that challenge. it was by chance I heard of her, and thought why not!
Initially the loan was for a year. In this year she was schooling, hacking alone and in company and confident long lining lungeing etc. She has never been the easiest of mares, and very spooky and overreactive but she got to me somewhere, i cant quite explain.
After eleven months I contacted her owner to arrange for her to be returned. She said she was happy, if I was and wanted me to continue with her, as she could see we had a good thing going on.
I've had her four years now! Her owner has an open invitation to the yard, I have nothing to hide. She gets regular updates via email and visits sometimes.
loans can work out, but it's harder with a youngster, and depends what you want from it. I was fully prepared to return mare, she helped me through a hard time, maybe you need to find the right person for your horse.
Star*

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
I actually have a horse out on loan very similar to you OP so they can be found.
She has been broken and brought on, also competed and hopefully will be this future year too. I'm happy for her to stay with this person as long as she likes unless something unforeseen happens but we have an agreement that if she is ever sold, that I as owner will keep a base amount (what she was worth before breaking) and anything made on top is split fifty fifty so that they do benefit from their hard work. Perhaps something like that would work for you.

Lolo

Visit site
Absolutely would not do it. You essentially want £140/ week worth of work for free. There are so many reputable, decent horsemen I'd far prefer that to a loan home where you have no idea how good they'll be.

When Al's mare was being backed in 2012, we were down there weekly to see her being ridden in the school so we were aware of her progress. She started having lessons on her about halfway through as well so the transition home was a smooth one. And now Al does do schooling/ competition livery and the owners are always very aware they are welcome to come and see the horse in action whenever they'd like and she'll bend over backwards for them...

One bad egg doesn't spoil the basket.

siennamum

Visit site
My son did it recently for a horse in the village belonging to a friend. I had a commitment that he wouldn't be ripped off, which he hasn't been as horse has now been gifted to him.
I couldn't afford to buy him a larger horse and he wanted the experience and challenge.

I 2nd the suggestion about advertising for a student or similar. I think the key is that you have to really know what you are doing and able to advise and monitor. If they are going to learn something, someone may be happy to help.
Alternatively advertise for a sharer for your horses and add the ridden ones into the equation, someone wanting to ride may also then help with the youngster.