long term weather forecast - :(

cob&onion

Visit site
Going from the previous thread regarding rain, didnt want to hijack but just found this :(
I really hope they are wrong!! we don't have seasons anymore, just an extension of winter and a very wet what was summer season :(
Hate this wet weather can't ride or do anything. Cobs are soggy and i have no area to bring them in to dry off/tack up etc - not to bad in the dryer months its just when it pelts down 24/7 and am sliding about in the mud with nowhere to put my tack but on a muddy sodden ground :( They have natural shelter and i have 2 large chests to keep my stuff in, so no shed or anything. Normally i can cope but not when its virtually raining every day!!
Does anyone else just have a field for there horses and no shed?!! :eek:
However i am Lucky to have a lovely livery yard 2 mins down the road with fab facilities i can hire, makes me want to pack my cobs up and go there for the wet season :D:D
http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=longrange;sess=

skint1

Visit site
:( maybe they're wrong, medium to long range weather forecasting is not always accurate

kinnygirl1

Visit site
Aw No! Feel like I am wishing my life away waiting for better weather at the mo! On the plus side JUne not looking too bad according to that forecast... will keep everything crossed.

BigYellowHorse

Visit site
I couldn't sleep last night so did a few searches for the forthcoming summer all very similar with average rainfall june and July (is this the average since about 2007? if so we're going to get soaked! ) but I did read on a couple that August was going to be drier -so there is still hope!!

The fact they can't generally predict tomorrow's weather I am still living in hope .. though getting a big dejavous from this tine last year when the weather was pretty similar :(

Quantock-cob

Visit site
Well if you look at some of the terrible things that are happening in the world, then a bit of rain really isn't that bad...is it?

FabioandFreddy

Visit site
Given that they can't even get the weather right from one day to the next normally, i'll take it with a pinch of salt! And i'm on a new positive thinking regime, so refuse to think we're in for yet another dismal summer!!! (please??!)

Aside from the rain, i can't remember it being as windy for so long either. Nearly every week the wind has been ridiculous this year!

Last edited:

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
They are usually wrong about the weather that is actually happening at the moment they're giving the forecast, so I wouldn't put too much faith in the long range forecast. It's notoriously difficult to predict the weather more than 5 days later.

If the forecast is correct then it does say it's going to be average or above average temperatures, so at least it won't be freezing.

OP - if your horses are constantly soaked then TBH I'd be rugging them. Full neck rainsheets. As least you'll have dry horses to ride, and they should have summer coats by now so won't take too long to dry off after.

Spanish Eyes

Visit site
They are usually wrong about the weather that is actually happening at the moment they're giving the forecast, so I wouldn't put too much faith in the long range forecast. It's notoriously difficult to predict the weather more than 5 days later.

If the forecast is correct then it does say it's going to be average or above average temperatures, so at least it won't be freezing.

OP - if your horses are constantly soaked then TBH I'd be rugging them. Full neck rainsheets. As least you'll have dry horses to ride, and they should have summer coats by now so won't take too long to dry off after.

You are kidding me! My dartmoors still have their winter woollies in MAY! Oh, and looking at that forecast for rainfall, we live right under that big purple blob for June, so no respite for us then!

We keep ours at home, and they live out 24/7 365 days a year, so feel your pain. The TB and Spanish are well rugged ...........24/7 365 days a year. Spot the similarity;)

Feel like giving up horses altogether, and moving somewhere warmer.

I guess the only hope is that last year they mentioned "drought" and it never stopped raining. Perhaps this year, because they've said rain...............just perhaps we might again have the direct opposite.

Firewell

Visit site
It's England! It's meant to be wet ;). It's frustrating I do feel your pain, especially when events and shows are cancelled.
I'm moving to California in the autumn and I will be glad not to have to battle through another winter with the mud, wet and freezing.

BeautifulPassage

Visit site
I know- I too am getting very disheartened with British weather :(

One of mine desperately needs to be hacked but he isn't good in wind so for past 2 days haven't been able to and today is even worse :eek:

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Feel like giving up horses altogether, and moving somewhere warmer.

I guess the only hope is that last year they mentioned "drought" and it never stopped raining. Perhaps this year, because they've said rain...............just perhaps we might again have the direct opposite.

I've seriously contemplated giving up horses over the last year or so. Sick of everywhere being soaked, it's depressing.

Fingers crossed for a heatwave :)

LynH

Visit site
I have problems with my lungs and damaged nerves around my ribs. The pain is so much worse when it rains so the last year has been pretty horrible. The pain clinic just tell me to wrap up warm and stay indoors when it rains and that's from a pain nurse who used to event, I had hoped for a more practical solution at least from another horsey person.
My horses had most of the last year off so I was really hoping for some dry weather so I could get them fit again so I really am hoping the weather improves very soon.

Cleo

Visit site
Oh Crumbs, I read the same forecast last night, and wanted to cry. :(

But I'm sure they don't really know, it is way too far ahead, so I am going to just hope and prey for a sunny warm summer. :D