Long (very) waterproof coat (not warm) under 100 pounds?

JGC

Visit site
Not sure if this coat exists, but I'm looking for a riding mac, at least 8000mm waterproofing, long enough to go below my knees, zipping out at the back so it protects my saddle from the rain, but not with a thick lining to it, so I can wear in winter over a down-style jacket and in spring/autumn and cooler summer days with few layers underneath. I've seen a Covalleiro one on Horze that might fit the bill but I don't know the brand at all. I have one from Kramer that fits the bill in every way, except it's not waterproof in a real downpour, sadly. Any ideas?

JGC

Visit site
That's a good potential, Edgehog, price is a huge plus - I said zipping out at the back, I really meant opening out at the back, so that would be fine. I can't find anything about the waterproof rating, which seems to be a bit of a theme to my search. If you are unfortunate to get caught in a downpour anytime soon, I'd love to hear how it holds up ;)

Orangehorse

Visit site
I have just bought one of these https://www.charlies.co.uk/champion-women-s-sandringham-long-waterproof-coat-navy.html I haven't had a chance to test it yet but definitely long and has a cottony lining so not warm. It goes over my fleece jacket and doesn't look like a tent. The back opens up but is not zipped. Feels quality and not a flimsy thing. Bargain at £32!!

I've bought one of those, although I haven't tried it yet. It says waterproof, but I had an earlier, cheap Barbour copy, which was waterproof up to a point, and then would eventually let the rain through.

Reactions: JGC

Kat

Visit site
I bought a waxed one as a present last Christmas, it was about £60 if I remember correctly. A long stockman's style, with a brushed cotton lining.

L&M

Visit site
I have just bought one of these https://www.charlies.co.uk/champion-women-s-sandringham-long-waterproof-coat-navy.html I haven't had a chance to test it yet but definitely long and has a cottony lining so not warm. It goes over my fleece jacket and doesn't look like a tent. The back opens up but is not zipped. Feels quality and not a flimsy thing. Bargain at £32!!

I have had the shorter version of this - great coat for price but find that after heavy rain they can leak.

Have a look at the Lighthouse range - I have the 3/4 length for hunting and on my second season with it and looks like new still. They do a long version too.

dixie

Visit site
I bought the weatherbeeta Kyla recently for just a tad over £100 from Mole valley Farmers.
It’s slightly padded and I wear it over my back protector without being too warm.
Its the best coat I’ve bought for a while
Has great pockets too.
I’m tall and it goes mostly down to my knees.
I’ve not got wet in it yet but haven’t started out in torrential rain yet.
https://www.moleonline.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=weatherbeeta ladies kyla

JGC

Visit site
I’ve just brought one of these, it’s got a 10,000 mm waterproofing, leg straps and back opens up

https://www.newforestclothing.co.uk/products/new-forest-victoria-full-length-waterproof-cape#

Looks good, I've not heard of them

What about a riding skirt instead? Just a thought.

I have thought of it, but none of my waterproofs seem to be fully waterproof so I think a skirt and a new jacket would be over budget.

When I only had one to ride, I'd change into something dry back at the yard, but now I have a second, I get freezing if I get wet ?

Thanks for the suggestions all, I hadn't seen any of the ones you're suggesting so I'll go investigate

Roxylola

Visit site

holeymoley

Visit site
Try a brand called coldstream. I’v never had anything from them but seen a few websites this week with a long coat with money off it.

tda

Visit site
I just bought a Weatherbeeta Kayla, which is lovely, good length, warm but not too bulky, magnetic flap at the back, waterproof so far!
£88.00 from GS equestrian

Loubidy

Visit site
About 2 years ago I found a long Barbour wax jacket in TK max for £99. It is incredible in the heaviest of rain and doesn’t go that clammy way on the inside raincoats go.

JGC

Visit site
If anyone is interested, I ended up ordering this one, as 10,000mm rated:

https://www.horze.co.uk/womens-wate...valliero-womens-raincoat/341707.html?color=DB

I couldn't find a photo of whether the vent at the back was just a zip, or whether it had material that would protect the saddle. It's the first, which was not what I was looking for, but it was so lovely when it came I've kept it anyway and rode with a saddle cover. Turns out, I prefer that as feel less like I am attached to the saddle so easier to trot and canter. I was out in rain this morning and was bone dry, hopefully that lasts! Cuffs fit nice and flush, sealed pockets and the neck is close-fitting that it wasn't leaking there either. I didn't get the boil-in-the-bag feeling even though I trotted a fair distance, so I could definitely wear it in lessons without overheating and I think it would be fine over a t-shirt on warm but rainy days.

I am not sponsored by them in case anyone is wondering :p