Longleat Horse Trials!

TableDancer

Visit site
I knew they were holding unaffiliated there next year. However, it all sounds a bit peculiar, given they are asking people to enter next week for an event which isn't being held till August 2013. And entry fees are non-refundable :eek: Wonder if they will be inundated? :D
No details on classes, prize money etc etc.

http://www.longleat-horse-trials.co.uk/rider/how_to_enter

We'll see :rolleyes:

be positive

Visit site
Do they really expect people to commit 8 months in advance, it looks as if it could be something to aim for next season, very local for me but not paying by 24th Dec, non refundable or transferable:confused:

bounce

Visit site
Hmm, don't think the organiser has too much knowledge about events such as these to be honest in my humble opinion.

SpottedCat

Visit site
They're asking for a deposit to guarantee you a place and then you upgrade it to a full entry when the entries open next year, not for the full entry fee. They are asking for £30 deposit. The 3 day runs at 90 and 100 http://www.longleat-horse-trials.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2_3 and the two day at 80 and 90 http://www.longleat-horse-trials.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2_4.

I reckon they have worked out they need 100 entries to break even, so want to make sure at least 100 people are serious about entering. Entry fee is £145 and stabling is £175 in an american barn ( :eek: ) and £72 in temp stables. http://www.longleat-horse-trials.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1

This year the MK 3 day (unaff) was £115 entry and £115 stabling, with a £10 upgrade if you wanted to also ride in a team. So total cost for Longleat 3 day will be £217 and MK was £230 - not much difference except you can't ride at Longleat any other time (and it was a fabby BE event), and you can do MK from much smaller heights.

TableDancer

Visit site
I still think they are unrealistic expecting people to commit even a £30 deposit at this stage - and they are asking you to pay the balance one month after the other entries open shich they say will be early in 2013 so still many months before the event. I personally don't think it is a business model which will fly but maybe they will prove me wrong.

bounce

Visit site
But that £30 is non refundable. What happens if they actually decide it is not viable to go ahead next year due. That deposit will be lost.

Committing to a BE event 6 weeks before an event is bad enough when horses are involved.

Milton Keynes does the full 3 day format with trot ups and steeplechase. The longleat event is only having a 'taster' of roads and tracks section.

SpottedCat

Visit site
I don't disagree particularly, just pointing out it is only £30 not the full entry fee.

I would probably have looked to do it but am at a wedding that weekend, so can't - and I'd have taken my chances on entering on the normal system just before hand ;)

Don't forget Stockland Lovell used to run one which was pretty similar, and now doesn't, so they may well sweep up people from that as it always used to be popular. I wonder if they're not going small enough though, as the 1m class at MK really wasn't that busy this year, but the 2'3 and 2'6 classes certainly were popular!

star

Visit site
I'm interested in doing the event but not entering this far in advance. Horse is only just coming back to work. Who knows what will happen by next August.

TableDancer

Visit site
Thinking about it, too, I can't see how they can possibly offer stabling in temporary stabling for the duration at £72, it costs far more than that! Events which offer it at £115 plus are only making a teeny profit on the stables, if at all...

siennamum

Visit site
We absolutely loved the SL 2 day and will probably have a go at this, I am dithering with my poor finances to take a punt on one of 3 horses being ready & sound or whether to just hold on and try for an entry next year.
It will be interesting to see whether SL have the land left to run the 2 day again, that would be fab also.

VRIN

Visit site
Its an expensive undertaking and I guess they want to be sure that it is viable before committing too much money - which is understandable.

I would certainly be happy to pay £30 up front to ensure that it could go ahead - I am looking forward to it already!!

Though was a little 'unsettled' to read poster above who mentioned 'taster' roads and tracks - I need to return to the page for more info!!

MegaBeast

Visit site
I love the idea of it... But you guys have scared me by saying that I may (will!) lose the money if they decide not to run! I'm happy to take a gamble that horse may not be fit for some reason as that's just the law of sod, but to think they may take advance entries and then just pull out is worrying.

Fools Motto

Visit site
Is that £72 per use of tempory stable for however long your event it, or £72 per night?
http://www.longleat-horse-trials.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=5

Open Entries
Entries to all events will open in early 2013. Please ensure that you have all the members of your team registered with ourselves prior to this date, as this will reduce the amount of time it takes for you to complete your entry next year.
Entries into each class will be released in stages, so as to make it as fair as possible to all those wishing to compete.
All details regarding release dates will be posted with at least 1 month's notice, so as to give everyone the same opportunity.

^^^^
Does this mean, you CAN enter in full early next year or do you already have to have paid a deposit?

Tad confused!
Although I don't have the money to enter right now, Longleat is local and I'd love to do a little 2 or 3 day , just to say 'I've done it!'

VRIN

Visit site
I love the idea of it... But you guys have scared me by saying that I may (will!) lose the money if they decide not to run! I'm happy to take a gamble that horse may not be fit for some reason as that's just the law of sod, but to think they may take advance entries and then just pull out is worrying.

I agree - sounds like a visit to their 'facebook page' may be worthwhile ...

SpottedCat

Visit site
Wow, that'll teach me to click through - that means the American barn stabling is presumably £175 per night?! That is ludicrous.

I have to say the website is really unprofessional - the only way I found the info I did was via the site map, it's not at all easy to navigate.

star

Visit site
how much?!!! £30 a night is quite enough and I've never been anywhere I've had to pay more than that. I was hoping to go to this but no way can I afford that.

mil1212

Visit site
Fools motto, you are right, it's £72 for one night! That makes is far more expensive than Milton Keynes!

Wow, that'll teach me to click through - that means the American barn stabling is presumably £175 per night?! That is ludicrous.

I have to say the website is really unprofessional - the only way I found the info I did was via the site map, it's not at all easy to navigate.

Wowsers, in which case there is very little chance of me going, that would be a ridiculous amount of money to stable, how could that work?!

And agree re the website, don't understand it at all, I assumed a non-horsey person has come up with the plan, but also the layout means you cant read all the page

VRIN

Visit site

I think this is for the duration of the event - it does say 'Please be aware these units are only available on an event hire basis, and we are unable to offer a reduced rate for a shorter durations' which suggests its for the whole event

SW3

Visit site
Has anyone noticed that the price for stabling in the temporary stables has gone down from £72 for one night to £60 in the course of the last hour (ish). Organisers keeping an eye on this thread perchance?!

VRIN

Visit site
Has anyone noticed that the price for stabling in the temporary stables has gone down from £72 for one night to £60 in the course of the last hour (ish). Organisers keeping an eye on this thread perchance?!

If that were the case, I would expect them to be more likely to update their facebook page ... there are several questions on their page which i would think they would try to answer as quickly as possible

Nicnac

Visit site
On the 'How to Enter' it states that should the event NOT run, deposits will be refunded in full.

Still can't see many paying in January (just after Christmas) in full for an event that may or may not run in late August :confused: