Looking after a horses legs!

bca13

Visit site
One of my ponies is getting on a bit now- he's not ridiculously old however he isn't a spring chicken either. He was quite stiff in my lesson this evening and it made me wonder whether I should start to take action on any evolving osteoarthritis or similar now, Im looking for recommendations on pre/post ride leg care- any useful supplements/ magnetic therapies and just anything in general that you feel has helped your slightly stiffer horse! Tia (he could of quite possibly bombed it around the field today as he had a new neighbour however he's been slightly stiffer anyways recently so just want to nip anything in the bud!):):)

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
Always warm up carefully and have a proper cool down afterwards. Our oldie is on Superflex for joints and if she ever gets swelling on her legs we cold boot her. My bench line is how she walks to field (always fast and keenly) and how she acts in field (she can throw impressive shapes and shift when the mood takes her)..if her behaviour alters I call our vet but so far we ve agreed she’s fine and dandy. Have a chat to your vet.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I would have him on Boswellia and MSM, both tested and proven to be effective in reducing inflammation and/or a devils claw product, also tested and proven, though banned in competition (so it obviously works! )

bca13

Visit site
Can you go for a short hack before your lesson? I don't do any (in feed) supplements, or use any magic boots on my old boy. The most effective way I've found of loosening him up is to walk him round the block before doing anything!
yes its a possibility! Tbh I normally warm up for longer than I did in my lesson and include a lot more long and low but I could walk around the yard a bit before-hand to help loosen up- Im also thinking once a week I might do a stretchy session just in walk trot maybe one or two canters and some walk poles just to stretch everything out