Looking after your horse in the winter

Nudibranch

Visit site
Cover him with as many rugs as possible, his skin should definitely feel really toasty to the touch.

Make sure he is snug and warm, he should be stabled at night not put out in a horrid cold field.

Give lots of feeds, preferably several brands, generally the more interesting packaging is the better feed. Lots of pretty mixtures and grains with plenty of tasty molasses is best.

Use at least 5 different supplements, you must include at least 2 for joints.

And turmeric.

Don't turn out if there's rain or snow. He might get a chill.

Sorry ;)

AngieandBen

Visit site
Lol@Nudibranch

My winter regime is not much different from summer, they get left out, with a rug if its wet, checked and fed a balancer each morning, checked and given an apple in the evening, ridden if I can be bothered............mmmm that's about it :)

thatsmygirl

Visit site
Same as summer I just check legs a bit more in case of mud fever. I just don't understand why a lot of owners feel a spot of rain and must bring the horses in, mine live out but come in for a couple of hours to be sorted out and by then they are happy to get back out. Tonight its raining and 2 owners have brought their horses in cause of the rain ( their horses, their choice) but the rest of the horses in the field are happy grazing but those 2 stabled are box walking and screaming there heads off getting all upset. I just don't get some owners.

twiggy2

Visit site
my mare is out as much as poss so usually minimum of 10hrs, worked at least 4 times per week, rugged as needed, the biggest difference is when frosts are forecast there is a container of water in one corner of her stable-she is deep littered so it tends not to freeze in there and means the water she is given is not ice cold.
she spent this afternoon naked despite being fully clipped then I gave her a good groom-bit of sun on her back will do her some good

paulineh

Visit site
Mine live out 24/7 12 months a year. They are rugged as needed and are fed a small feed twice a day. They seem not to want too much hay. I tend not to over rug even my clipped horses. They are all toasty warm. They have a large field shelter and have access to the stables too which are all bedded down if they want to go into them.

dollyanna

Visit site
Mine are the same as in the summer with the addition of hay!! And they come in overnight every few weeks just to get them dried out so I can thoroughly check them over. Oh, and they have the whole field rather than a track.

MillionDollar

Visit site
Before I built my yard, so I just had a farm, most of mine were out 24/7 with access to a barn, but I hardly ever rode in winter. Since building my yard with facilities such as indoor arena, outdoor arena, horse walker, round pen, hot water, solarium, all-weather turnout pens, most of mine are in 24/7 with access to the turnout pen and facilities, and are turned out once or twice per week if the ground isn't water logged, but they are clipped, worked and happy. My retired ones and youngsters are still out 24/7 in a huge grassy field. I really think it depends on individual circumstances and facilities. I've done both, still do both and much prefer having them in!!!

trottingon

Visit site
Before I built my yard, so I just had a farm, most of mine were out 24/7 with access to a barn, but I hardly ever rode in winter. Since building my yard with facilities such as indoor arena, outdoor arena, horse walker, round pen, hot water, solarium, all-weather turnout pens, most of mine are in 24/7 with access to the turnout pen and facilities, and are turned out once or twice per week if the ground isn't water logged, but they are clipped, worked and happy. My retired ones and youngsters are still out 24/7 in a huge grassy field. I really think it depends on individual circumstances and facilities. I've done both, still do both and much prefer having them in!!!

OMG MillionDollar, please can I come and live with you?????😄

Visit site
In the winter season, I always see that my horse consumes sufficient amount of warm water as it is very important during the winter season. I also ensure he is eating enough fiber to stay warm. So I add some extra supplements in his meal as well. To keep his body warm, I make use of good quality rugs as they prevent him from the colder atmosphere outside. I also see that his stable is clean and tidy. This is all that I do to keep my horse happy & healthy in winter season.