Looking at 05 Kia Sorento, things to look out for?

Procrastination

Visit site
Hi all

I am interested in a 2005 plate 2.5CDi Kia Sorento. It's got 100k miles on the clock and a FSH but I haven't seen the details of it (only looking online at the mo and they haven't included pics of service reports).
I'm just looking for pointers on things to look out for of be wary of with a Sorento of this age and mileage, want to be as clued up as possible when I go to view it and know which questions to ask!
Will be used to towing an ifor 505 and usually one 14hh pony, sometimes two.

Thanks!

Clannad48

Visit site
I loved my 05 plate Sorento it towed like a dream with an Ifor 505 and a 17h DWB. The main thing to check is if the fuel tank has been replaced - there were issues with the tank delaminating for this year I believe- I had the main dealer replace it not an issue at all,- it was done for free - the only thing I had to pay for was £10 for fresh fuel. My car came back spotless (it was used for transporting hay and straw the week before!!) and I had a hire car as well. I was sad when I had to sell it - it had 145k on the clock when I sold it and I still see it around now towing

Procrastination

Visit site
Brill thank you that's exactly the type of info I need! Great to hear your really liked it too, did you have an auto or manual? This one is auto which isn't actually my preference but it's a great price and fairly local so seems daft to discount it because of the gearbox!

Frumpoon

Visit site
There's some common fault with the engine - 2 on my yard have both had the engine go, one under warranty, head gasket and turbo but another was second hand when it happened and the fix was £2k!!!!!

A quick look on eBay and there's a few for sale spare space or repair with a similar thing

No idea how you check if it as happened or is about to happen though

Orangehorse

Visit site
I don't know how you would check for this, but I know someone who loved her Sorento for towing, but it had a major breakdown with transmission/gearbox which meant it wasn't worth repairing - not the news anyone wants to hear. And I gather is it not uncommon. Of course she had been using it for towing right from the start.

Clannad48

Visit site
Auto - I won't tow with anything else. You can use the Direct Gov MOT site to check whether certain things have been done, whether the mileage is correct = that sort of thing.

ashlingm

Visit site
They seem like nice cars, but I wouldn't touch one for towing!

I've known 4 people who had Kia Sorrentos and they all had major issues with them. My friend just got rid of her 2005 2.5l one as there was a few problems with it and they couldn't find the cause. At one stage, while towing the box on a motorway, all power and electricity went. No mechanic could find the fault and said it was liable to happen again at any time.

I know of another one that had the entire engine rebuilt on it and it still had engine problems.

They seem to do okay while under the 7 year warranty....but the minute they are out of it they literally fall apart. I would recommend Pajeros, they're more expensive but hardier and better for pulling.

w1bbler

Visit site
Got an 03 Sorrento & love it. Had to replace turbo last year, but garage said when doing a lot of towing shoild change the oil more often than the standard service intervals & t may have prevented the damage.
Otherwise it's been a fab vehicle for the 7 years I've had it & the same garage commented what great reliable cars they are.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
OP, to check on a replacement part/engine that might have been done under recall/warranty, you'll need to contact a main dealer and have the vehicle reg to hand. Most main dealers 'can' be helpful, as systems are computerised and they 'should' be able to get any dealer work info up - some not so though.

paddi22

Visit site
I had an 06 sorrento and it broke my heart. I wouldn't touch one now if someone gave me one free. The engine just went on mine, no-one ever knew why or what caused it. Got the engine replaced and it went again. Was just discussing it last weekend at a clinic with a girl who had the same issue. Even when it was working it always smelt clutchy if it had to do hard towing.

Apart from that, when they sometimes have an issue they cut off power completely. A friends cut out when she was towing on a motorway. They never said what caused it, just plugged it into a compter to 'fix' it and it got going again. Same thing happened to her a year or two later when she was overtaking a car. And she sold it recently and i think thats why

I have an absolute banger of a 17 year old isuzu trooper now, and any issues it gets are just parts due to old age, which can be replaced cheaply.

I believe that they just aren't built or designed to last. Any garage I ever went into with mine said they wouldn't touch them with a bargepole to buy, and that they aren't built to do heavy duty horse towing. They described it as a perfect jeep for someone towing a small trailer at the weekends.

I would put money on it that you won't see an older sorrento still towing they way the old pajeros, landcrusiers and landrovers still tow.

Does anyone know when the sorrentos were first produced?

Kat

Visit site
There is a major problem with the prop shaft that as a lay person you wouldn't spot.

I bought one second hand from a main dealer, with a brand new MOT. Luckily I had to take it into our local kia dealer due to a minor issue with the immobiliser only a few weeks after purchase. They spotted the fault and told us that it wasn't safe to drive and would cost over £4k to repair! As it was still under warranty I was able to send it back however that car was sold on via auction without the repair being done.

Once I knew about the problem I started googling and found some very scary stories about them failing in use and was incredibly relieved that I hadn't towed with it.

ElectricChampagne

Visit site
I've heard of 3 of them blow engines in the last 4 months, catastrophically blow engines, one blew a turbo 1 month before the engine blew. Another I heard just didn't like being on the road at all and it was promptly traded in. It had gearbox and transmission issues, both replaced several times before the owner just gave up on it because of the expense.

Anyone I ask in the horse world about them says do not touch, they have had direct experience themselves of engines blowing or can tell me of someone who has had issues.

They seem to be getting a very bad rep lately.

Merlin1979

Visit site
I had a 57 plate for 18 months. I loved it and was great for towing but after 18 months, it broke down and it needed a new gearbox. As someone else mentioned, there was also an issue with a prop shaft.
It was out of warranty but I decided to repair as I had not had it that long. 3k later, in never felt right after that and I got rid of it a few months later buying a Hyundai Santa Fe which is great.
A friend also had problems with her sorento. She has to replace her turbo. I wouldn't recommend ever again!

lelly

Visit site
I was also looking at sorento on line with a view to getting one over easter, this has really put me off. I did lots of research online and they came up top for cheaper towing vehicles. I read lots of reviews too, I'm gutted!

pixie27

Visit site
I was also looking at sorento on line with a view to getting one over easter, this has really put me off. I did lots of research online and they came up top for cheaper towing vehicles. I read lots of reviews too, I'm gutted!

Me too! The 06 Sorento was top of my list as looked good for every day driving too. Oh well, I think it'll be a Jeep Grand/Cherokee for me now. (unless anyone has any horror stories of them too?!)

Procrastination

Visit site

Me too! The 06 Sorento was top of my list as looked good for every day driving too. Oh well, I think it'll be a Jeep Grand/Cherokee for me now. (unless anyone has any horror stories of them too?!)

I am still going to look at the one I'm interested in. I wanted to be clued up on the potential pitfalls and I definitely feel like I'm armed with a bit more information now. At the end of the day there are good and bad experiences with all makes and models of cars and a lot of people really rate the Sorentos highly. Also the fact that I started a thread asking for things to be wary of is slightly biased as the majority of people who reply are the ones who have had bad experiences with this vehicle. If you search on here for Kia Sorento threads there are lots of people who swear by them.

Im going with an open mind, and if I decide to go ahead with it and then have problems later then on my head be it!

Louby

Visit site
We looked at a couple when I was going down the trailer route. They look really nice cars, I test drove one which had no guts in it at all, I suspected a turbo problem, mentioned it to the garage who checked it and said thats how they drove. A couple of people on the yard have them and love them, one has had a few niggling problems but nothing major. She let me drive hers and it was great, nothing like the one that had no guts so Im presuming something was wrong with that one. My friend has had 2, had a lot of problems with the first one but loves her 2nd newer one, I think thats a 59 plate. The guy who MOT's my car warned me off them said theres no comparison build/quality wise compared to say a SHogun and I did a lot of research which seemed to say if something goes wrong, it goes wrong big time. I read that the engine is a sealed unit?? and thats why repairs are so expensive. I agree that the majority of reviews online about anything are usually from people who've had a bad experience though. Have to admit, they did put me off buying one and we got 3.5t instead although Im seriously thinking of selling and getting a trailer again (if I need one) due to being horseless atm.

Milkmaid

Visit site
attachment.php

This was posted by a friend on Facebook!
So if the engine survives the chassis may not ����
What's even more concerning is that the person that bought the car was prepared to put other people at risk to make a quick buck.
Buyer beware, make sure you get a proper inspection done or take someone who knows what to look for.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
We nearly got a newish Sorrento when we first went down the 4x4 route, it would have been about an 05 model. They hadn't started blowing up then, so all the reviews were very positive.

In the end I decided it was too much of a car, and not enough of a proper 4x4, and went for a yr 2000 Shogun instead. This did brilliant service and never let us down, it's rather rusty now so we have sorned it and use it for towing the grass harrows, ballast roller and arena leveller, it was a great buy. Have a newer Shogun instead for road use.

ElectricChampagne

Visit site
I think the issues with the sorentos are starting to show now, hence the earlier rave reviews about them. There are similar issues and problems appearing on other forums only lately about them. Personally I think I'd look elsewhere as the heartache isn't worth it.