Looking at Irish Draughts

dollymix

Visit site
Mine is full RID but is definitely the more modern 'sport' type... Don't think anyone could call her a cob... Although I had considered trying a few hunter classes!

As a breed though... I LOVE IDs!!!! Mine is suite nervy, she's definitely not a first horse as is quite sharp, but she jumps like a stag and eventually I hope to do some Lower level eventing and maybe county level workers.

She is 6 yrs old. Can't add pics from my iPhone but I'll add some soon... Ther may be some pics in my album and certainly in other threads!

cornbrodolly

Visit site
'Hallmark' who has to be the best maxi cob in the country, is full RID.
A lovely breed , and I wish more poeple wold hog them and show as maxis! In fact wish all horses were hogged, then wouldnt have to plait.....

Kaylum

Visit site
'Hallmark' who has to be the best maxi cob in the country, is full RID.
A lovely breed , and I wish more poeple wold hog them and show as maxis! In fact wish all horses were hogged, then wouldnt have to plait.....

Irish draughts have no need to be hogged. See my grey in my signature, they look amazing plaited which is part of showing, prep.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Irish draughts have no need to be hogged. See my grey in my signature, they look amazing plaited which is part of showing, prep.

I agree with this mine was hogged when he arrived we allowed his mane to regrow and after one summer of looking very punk he now looks so much nicer his head is large and very masculine not long but very broad he's an attractive horse plaited he was IMO a horse with a big head hogged.
But can they do cob classes plaited I thought they had to be hogged.

Harriettie

Visit site
I agree re mare number 1 as a brilliant opportunity (if she is as good in the flesh as she looks), I was given one that looked just like her, but liver chestnut and by Ben Purple, a few years ago. Bred fantastic foals, was a brilliant, expressive but dependable ride, and a nice person to boot. No pictures I'm afraid - a shame because my favourite foal was one by an Andalusian, the rest were pure ID. She was only 15.1 and in her life before I had her she had carried a side saddle and been a vaulting horse!

My next horse when my current heavyweight coloured cob (of unknown but not ID breeding) departs this earth, will be another ID without question.

*steps away from the iPad and phone so as not to ring up about the mare......*:eek:

Goldenstar

Visit site
I agree re mare number 1 as a brilliant opportunity (if she is as good in the flesh as she looks), I was given one that looked just like her, but liver chestnut and by Ben Purple, a few years ago. Bred fantastic foals, was a brilliant, expressive but dependable ride, and a nice person to boot. No pictures I'm afraid - a shame because my favourite foal was one by an Andalusian, the rest were pure ID. She was only 15.1 and in her life before I had her she had carried a side saddle and been a vaulting horse!

My next horse when my current heavyweight coloured cob (of unknown but not ID breeding) departs this earth, will be another ID without question.

*steps away from the iPad and phone so as not to ring up about the mare......*:eek:

I have been stepping away from the phone too. I had my hunter PTS after Christmas and have not replaced him as I decided four horses was much nicer than five but she would hunt for me be a spare for my OH and would pull a carriage probally would not be nimble enough for HDT at a very competive level but would be fun ,be easy to keep stop me stop me.

Capriole

Visit site
But can they do cob classes plaited I thought they had to be hogged.

General classes, I think so, but you can show them in Irish Draught Cob classes un-hogged, taken from the National Breed Show 2012 schedule

*18 Open Ridden Cob including Maxi Cobs registered in the IDHS(GB) main studbook
or on the IDSH registers. (Exhibits need not be hogged)*

Goldenstar

Visit site
General classes, I think so, but you can show them in Irish Draught Cob classes un-hogged, taken from the National Breed Show 2012 schedule

*18 Open Ridden Cob including Maxi Cobs registered in the IDHS(GB) main studbook
or on the IDSH registers. (Exhibits need not be hogged)*

That's interesting I did not know that but seeing mine is really neither a hunter or a cob in showing terms academic .