Looking behind in trailer.

Bav

Visit site
Ok so just musing really. The horse is in Newmarket and had surgery today to remove a splint bone fracture. We took her in my friends lorry and the difference was incredible. We had a camera and she stood rock solid still the entire journey.

We have an older Richardson trailer that we use without the partition and cross tie. She's tied short enough that she can't turn around but we can see her through the window (and hubby has travelled behind) and she moves quite a bit as she stands to one side then tries to look over her shoulder behind her and then moves to the opposite side to look over the other one. Obviously this makes quite a bit of movement?

Short of buying a lorry what do you lovely people suggest? Would it worry or upset you? I can't tow and dad is quite anxious when towing as she is a fidget.

Edited to add: I don't want to tie her stupidly short that she can't physically move her head.

Last edited:

Bav

Visit site
Does your trailer have rear top doors?

It does, but I'm reluctant to shut them as the ventilation isn't all that great in this trailer with only two little slits in the front. Do you think closing at least one would help?

She's not a fabulous traveller in a trailer with partitions, I think she struggles to balance unless she can really spread her legs, there's been a massive improvement with removing it, but she's so god damn nosey! She doesn't touch her hay she spends the entire time trying to look behind her! She dozed the entire 2 hour trip in the lorry, but unfortunately I just don't think it's feasible to purchase one :(

Equi

Visit site
Think of it all from the horses eye. They can see everything coming at them if they are standing sideways, in a lorry they can see a solid wall behind them and a solid wall at either side, with only a small window infront they proabbly cant see much out of (aka a safe area as no monsters)

in a box they see the walls beside them and the evils from hell all coming at them from behind as a big blur... they can't see clearly unless they turn their heads. A lorry hasn't got open top doors in it, only slits in the side windows so there would really be no difference. Its not air tight when you close the top doors - so give it a go.

Leo Walker

Visit site
Could you make something out of fly screen material or similar sort of dark mesh? Lots of ventilation still but removes the view for her. It shouldnt be too hard to do, you just need to figure out secure fixings for it.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I've always had trailers, and some horses get very unsettled by being able to see and hear traffic behind them when the rear top doors are open. These horses travel better with the top doors closed.

You could investigate getting a pair of sliding windows or similar installed in the front section of your Richardson to allow light and ventilation. This shouldn't cost too much, and then you could try shutting the rear top doors. I've added an extra window to a Rice Europa in the past.

I'd recommend getting a cctv system installed too, I wouldn't be without mine.

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
It does, but I'm reluctant to shut them as the ventilation isn't all that great in this trailer with only two little slits in the front. Do you think closing at least one would help?

She's not a fabulous traveller in a trailer with partitions, I think she struggles to balance unless she can really spread her legs, there's been a massive improvement with removing it, but she's so god damn nosey! She doesn't touch her hay she spends the entire time trying to look behind her! She dozed the entire 2 hour trip in the lorry, but unfortunately I just don't think it's feasible to purchase one :(

A friend had trouble with her horse in the trailer loading not travelling.She gave it more fresh air by having a bit of foam that she squashed between the top door of the front unload and the door frame, so when the door was shut and the door fastened there was a gap at the bottom which increased the gap to about an inch and helped improve air quality. she has the same trailer as you.Moving her head around tells me she is struggling to keep there balance and they will use there head to counter balance ifthat makes sense.I think it was her Dad that fixed the partition permanently so that is was wider on the side the horse travelled and narrower towards the back of the trailer on the empty side so he could have more room.
Its a bit of a problem for you.maybe try to shut the back doors and leave the light on inside the trailer whilst travelling you will have to have the side lights on the tow vehicle on as a minimum to do this though.Its just trial and error and my friends horse travels really well even though most of the trips he does these days are to the vets. ha ha.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
I think you should get a more modern trailer, with good ventilation and a good ride. Has it had a full service, and are the tyres the proper type, ie not car tyres. and are they all in good order and at the correct pressure. I assume she is not being driven too fast.
In the meantime, she could be kept short of hay for an hour before travelling, and give her the best haylage to pick at, with a few small carrots.
The lead rope does not want to be too short, as she needs to balance, but in a lorry, they often are quite short and it seems to do no harm.
I wonder if you can improve front ventilation, does she actually travel better with the doors closed?
If the partition is removed, do you have a double breast bar in place?

Last edited:

Bav

Visit site
Yes she has a long breast and breaching bar. It's might try a few tips for more ventilation and shut the doors then. She doesn't seem unsettled as such, just spends the entire time trying to gaze out the back and obviously her movements can be felt. I have tried to persuade dad that a lorry really would be the best option but he's not playing ball ;) hahahaha!

I do love my little trailer, my dad and I used to borrow my instructors Ifor 510 and dad actually reckons the Richardson is a smoother ride!

Justturnedfifty

Visit site
Ok so just musing really. The horse is in Newmarket and had surgery today to remove a splint bone fracture. We took her in my friends lorry and the difference was incredible. We had a camera and she stood rock solid still the entire journey.

We have an older Richardson trailer that we use without the partition and cross tie. She's tied short enough that she can't turn around but we can see her through the window (and hubby has travelled behind) and she moves quite a bit as she stands to one side then tries to look over her shoulder behind her and then moves to the opposite side to look over the other one. Obviously this makes quite a bit of movement?

Short of buying a lorry what do you lovely people suggest? Would it worry or upset you? I can't tow and dad is quite anxious when towing as she is a fidget.

Edited to add: I don't want to tie her stupidly short that she can't physically move her head.

We have just purchased an Ifor Williams 511, which has 2 front opening windows, large window facing frontwards, roof vent and vents in the back doors. The ride is so much better than our old Ifor Williams and the trailer sits firmly on the road and is an awful lot quieter, no major rattles or anything like that. We shut both back doors, open roof vent and 1 of the front windows. Our pony stands like a rock (we have a camera installed) and is obviously very happy as she now loads every time, no hesitation. The 511 is the larger trailer, and I would recommend having a look at it, because I believe it would be bigger, brighter and more airy than your current trailer, and offers much better ventilation.

Notimetoride

Visit site
My horse turns her head and loves watching the world go by out the back doors. TBH I never considered it to be a problem. If I was a horse in there I would do exactly the same. After reading this im starting to wonder if it actually is a problem her doing this, and whether I should be shutting the top doors ?

Bav

Visit site
We have just purchased an Ifor Williams 511, which has 2 front opening windows, large window facing frontwards, roof vent and vents in the back doors. The ride is so much better than our old Ifor Williams and the trailer sits firmly on the road and is an awful lot quieter, no major rattles or anything like that. We shut both back doors, open roof vent and 1 of the front windows. Our pony stands like a rock (we have a camera installed) and is obviously very happy as she now loads every time, no hesitation. The 511 is the larger trailer, and I would recommend having a look at it, because I believe it would be bigger, brighter and more airy than your current trailer, and offers much better ventilation.
That's interesting, might be worth considering then. The only reason we hadn't upgraded is because the old man reckons the Richardson is nicer to tow then the ifor we had been borrowing. Just goes to show that they have improved the concept then!

If she is distressed then blinkers or big fluffy cheeks on the head collar would be a cheap way to perhaps improve the situation.

I hadnt thought of this!! Thankyou!

pennyturner

Visit site
I think its law to travel with a breast bar in a trailer or th ehorse would just fly through the front of the trailer in a collision or emergency breaking situation.Sure that is the case.

Not sure about this. Young stock is routinely transported loose in trailers, without either partition or breast bar. It's the safest way with unbroken small ponies. They'd go underneath a regular breast bar anyway, get stuck, and all hell would break loose, and you can't tie something that you haven't managed to get a head collar on yet!