Looking for a Bushland Terrier

jules9203

www.pensdellequestrian.org.uk
As title really - I am looking for a Bushland Terrier (possibly 2!) - puppy to 2 years old. Does anyone know of any for sale in the south or anyone that breeds them? Happy to travel a reasonable distance.

twiggy2

Visit site
What are they? Never heard of them!
It is a designer cross breed cairn cross scottie.
Op please check both breeds for the health screening they should have and make sure both parents and puppies (if relevant) have been tested.
First cross are particularly prone so inheriting problems from both breed lines there is no such thing as first cross vigour.

chillipup

Visit site
As title really - I am looking for a Bushland Terrier (possibly 2!) - puppy to 2 years old. Does anyone know of any for sale in the south or anyone that breeds them? Happy to travel a reasonable distance.

OP, I'm interested in why you have chosen this particular cross breed to own. I'd not heard of them before but a bit of googling paid dividends. I initially thought it may be an Australian breed because of of the name.

I have owned a Cairn Terrier in the past (or more correctly, he owned me!) but not a Scottie. What has endeared you to them? Have you owned Terriers before? I'd love to hear.

Alec Swan

Visit site
……..

First cross are particularly prone so inheriting problems from both breed lines there is no such thing as first cross vigour.

Of all the many purpose bred first cross lurchers which I've had and bred, over many years, I've never had one with any health issues or inherited problems. Perhaps I've just been lucky.

Alec.

Dry Rot

Visit site
I once (deliberately) crossed lab with a pointer. The litter was, shall we say, 'variable'. I gave one to a friend and it turned out a useful pointer-retriever without the hard temperament of some of the Cointinental dogs (which are often bred to tackle wild boar, etc). They use the cross deliberatelyi in Ireland for that purpose, crossing a flushing or retrieving breed with either a pointer or a setter.

Anyway, knowing what snobs the British sporting fraternity are, I told him to say it was a rare example of a Friesland Partridge Dog and only a few had been imported. Quite soon, all his shooting pals were looking for another from the same breed.

If you want a fancy breed, go to your local dog rescue and save yourself some money. It costs nothing to invent a new name and tell a few white lies. Better for the dogs too.

But if you ever think of crossing a pointer with a setter, don't do it. You'll get an upsetter and a disappointer! :)

Teaselmeg

Visit site
Of all the many purpose bred first cross lurchers which I've had and bred, over many years, I've never had one with any health issues or inherited problems. Perhaps I've just been lucky.

Alec.

My Mother lost her Bedlington/whippet cross to Copper Toxicosis some years ago. Awful disease, I will never forget seeing the state he was in at the vets just before we had to put him to sleep. I had never heard of CT, but a little research brought it up as common in Bedlington terriers, having whippet in him made no difference.

Clodagh

Visit site
I just don't see the point in crossing those two breeds, I like both Scotties and Cairns but what does making them mongrels do? I would have thought, with my limited knowledge of both, that a Scottie is more hard headed and stubborn than a cairn, but they wouldn't be far behind.
OP - even if you find the cross you are after, please don't get two, my OH, an experienced terrier man had two lakelands from the same litter and they spent their whole life hunting together, he had to rehome one at which point the other turned into a lovely little dog.

Fabforester

Visit site
I once (deliberately) crossed lab with a pointer. The litter was, shall we say, 'variable'. I gave one to a friend and it turned out a useful pointer-retriever without the hard temperament of some of the Cointinental dogs (which are often bred to tackle wild boar, etc). They use the cross deliberatelyi in Ireland for that purpose, crossing a flushing or retrieving breed with either a pointer or a setter.

Anyway, knowing what snobs the British sporting fraternity are, I told him to say it was a rare example of a Friesland Partridge Dog and only a few had been imported. Quite soon, all his shooting pals were looking for another from the same breed.

If you want a fancy breed, go to your local dog rescue and save yourself some money. It costs nothing to invent a new name and tell a few white lies. Better for the dogs too.

But if you ever think of crossing a pointer with a setter, don't do it. You'll get an upsetter and a disappointer! :)
Quite brilliant. A Friesland Partridge Dog. Haha. Re the terrier, making a sweeping generalisation with that breeding, Google t.r.o.u.b.l.e and you should find out more .
All the same, good luck. My 38 years have bought me seven insane and wonderful terriers, all in last chance saloon or dumped, all as naughty as they come, and an absolute pleasure to have been part of their crazy happy lives. My choice I know, but it's rescue all the way for me.

s4sugar

Visit site

Alec.

But you have used known & tried parents to breed for yourself. The people breeding this cross will not care about the quality of the parents as long as the puppies are cute. Cute mix puppies sell to gullible people who fall for the healthier or best of both breeds marketing ploys.

Bellasophia

Visit site
I've always had a soft spot for the Scottie...however it's health issues are beyond dire...
http://pedigreedogsexposed.blogspot.it/2014/07/scotties-cramping-their-style.html
I would not think such a genetically unstable breed would benefit any outcross.

Original poster...id stick to the cairn ,or if it's the look of this bushland terrier you want then perhaps consider an Australian terrier....a hardy ,relatively undiscovered dog.( I had an Australian Sylkie terrier who lived to 16.5 yrs ,healthiest dog I've ever had)

Me?ive returned to my terrier roots and am currently besotted with my mini black schnauzer. What a game little dog she is..1.8 yrs...hard as nails,not phased by anything,not had one days sickness,loyal ,trainable ....what a joy!

Last edited: