Looking for a certain bit, help?

russian_charm

Visit site
Hi,
We've just gotten a new horse, and have run into a bit of a problem with bitting. His old owner had him jumping in a bit that was kinda like a spanish gag, crossed with a (really flexible) mullen mouth, he seemed to go very very nicely in it and we would like to keep things the same wherever possible so are trying to find one the same as what she had.
The problem is, she (a) can't remember the name of said bit, and, (b) bought said bit from another rider, who imported it from overseas (we are in australia), and she paid some $300 for it.
Now I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking $300 is a very scary amount of money to spend on a bit of metal and rubber, especially if you've just spent $$$$ on a new horse.

So my question is, does anybody know where I would be able to source said bit at a price that is a little more affordable (most bits run from about $50-$75 new here)

I've done a bit of googling and I've found something that looks like it, a Nathe Three Ring Mullen Mouth Gag (for 140 pounds:eek:)
Thanks!

http://www.thehorsebitshop.co.uk/product.php?xProd=398

1792_lrg.jpg

russian_charm

Visit site
Unfortunately not, I don't think. this bit was incredibly flexible (like you could almost fold it in half) and I think thats one of the big reasons he went so kindly in it, it had just that bit of leverage but not a 'strong' bit.
Makes me very glad for my old horse who cruises around in a plain, cheap snaffle just fine!
:)