Looking for a Horsebox....

Visit site
I wouldn't buy that for two reasons
1 - the cab doesnt tilt and something that would be relatively minor will become a major job as you can't get to the engine, no one wants to work on them and if they do they will charge a premium for it.
2- Its made of glasstonite (sp?) which is fiberglass over a ply core, over the years water seeps into the wood, rotting it although the outside normaly still looks fine. Eventually the outside will crack to and the only way to fix it is to replace the whole side! as its not like aluminimum which is in 8' x 4' sheets and can be replaced in sections.

I am also looking for new box and finding it hard work but horsemart and ebay seem to have the most.

Good luck!

Gucci_b

Visit site
Have been looking up on horseboxes and spoke to a few people, and the one on preloved is quite easy to get to the engine, as the double passenger seats lift up to get to the engine, also in the living there is norm a hatch, and that horsebox is all Aluminimum and most of all it was made for horses as coach built :) looks very nice

Last edited:

Louby

Visit site
I liked the look of that one too. My friends was a proper coachbuild and there were no joins at all visable on the outside. Im not saying theres anything wrong with it, I reckon its the original box van lined in ali with a luton put on as you can see the join where the luton meets the 'box'.
All the older ones I seem to see and like are Cargos which Im told are more prone to rust, so its putting me off a bit.
Id be interested to hear what people in the know advise about older cargo's :)

aliacc

Visit site
try Horsedeals or Horsemart... we have to sell our horsebox as we have just sold our horse.... and that's where I have just advertised....as it is reasonably cheap to advertise and have a good selection.

Ali

perfect11s

Visit site
Have been looking up on horseboxes and spoke to a few people, and the one on preloved is quite easy to get to the engine, as the double passenger seats lift up to get to the engine, also in the living there is norm a hatch, and that horsebox is all Aluminimum and most of all it was made for horses as coach built :) looks very nice
You can get the engine, radiator or other parts out through that tiny hole ???? :D

Last edited:

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Am looking for a 2 stalled Horsebox, would like a little living and 5/6 tonn... where is the best place to look... Have looked on a few sites, I saw this one on Preloved website.. what do you think?? :)
http://www.preloved.co.uk/fuseaction-adverts.showadvert/index-1032723204/090ae07d.html

This lorry is a 3 horse & you wanted 2, it's 7.5 ton & you wanted 5-6 ton, it's £8000 & no offers when it only has a month of plate & tax left on it. It could cost a fortune to get through plating. Tilt cab is a very useful thing to have, many mechanics don't want to work on fixed cabs or they charge more as things take longer to do.
I think you should carry on looking really as from your own post it aint what you are looking for is it?

Don't lose heart looking. It took me months to find my lorry, it was on a website I've never heard of (can't remember the name of it now either) I just came across it while searching. I eventually bought it from South Wales. Good Luck & don't settle for something you're not fully happy with, don't believe a word the seller tells you & take a mechanic with you when you go to view. ;)

Gucci_b

Visit site
Thanks :) it's like looking for a needle in a hay stack.. will consider others as long as the horsebox isn't a beast, and this one looks nice and compact, not over sized.