Looking for a lab

druid

Visit site
I'm adding a Labrador to the picking up team....being me, I'm checking on rescue options first. If anyone hears of a young (year or under) male lab looking for a home in East Anglia do let me know!

(and yes, I do have other rescues working as gundogs!) :)

twiggy2

Visit site
try labrador rescue, my friends had to travel to pick their lab and springer up from them, but the lab was 3 years and fully trained-they still have him and he is 14 now-he has been a fantastic dog and great on a shoot

druid

Visit site
I have registered with them, however rescues tend not to like my "garden" which is twenty acres of stables, barns and paddocks despite the fact the entire property is fenced with six foot wooden boarding or six foot stone walls! Hopefully the home check will be sensible and see I don't let the dogs roam free in the garden, I'm up there with them wether its just mooching about or training! Never mind all the walking they get!

Slinkyunicorn

www.rutlandhorseextras.co.uk
I live on a farm - when they came to check me they got no further then the garden - they just said 'this is Labrador heaven' never even got inside the house! :biggrin3:

I think they have a more realistic approach to rehoming - they recognise a 'good' home without there being 6 foot fences etc etc

Good luck - I was home checked and Max arrived within 4 days! :eek3::biggrin3:

CAYLA

Visit site
Im off to pre assess an 8 mnth black lab male for prison tomorrow as we usually try and get all the youngsters we get in into the prison as workers, im miles away though but can keep you in mind if he is not suitable for prison.

Mince Pie

Visit site
For those who didn't have a problem with their 'gardens', was it just Labrador Rescue which didn't seem to have much of an issue with it or were there others? I'm looking into getting a rescue but I live on the corner of a farmyard with no garden at all! We have an indoor school which is enclosed but I'm not sure that really counts?

s4sugar

Visit site
Most breed rescues take each case on merits. A secure area just outside the door is a pretty standard requirement but can be waived for the right combination of dog & owner. Heras panels can make a good temporary barrier.

Mince Pie

Visit site
Most breed rescues take each case on merits. A secure area just outside the door is a pretty standard requirement but can be waived for the right combination of dog & owner. Heras panels can make a good temporary barrier.

I rent so that isn't really an option unfortunately.

Spudlet

Visit site

I rent so that isn't really an option unfortunately.

The Dogs Trust let me have Henry when I was living in a house with no front garden at all - the door opened straight onto the yard where I lived at the time. Because it wasn't a through road (it didn't even look like a street from the main road so you only ever got residents parking there or the bin men once a week) they weren't worried.

druid

Visit site
My front door opens on the yard - The whole place is securely fenced but some rescues don't like the access to the barns/horses etc.

Cayla - please do, that's about the right age for me :)

druid

Visit site
I live on a farm - when they came to check me they got no further then the garden - they just said 'this is Labrador heaven' never even got inside the house! :biggrin3:

I think they have a more realistic approach to rehoming - they recognise a 'good' home without there being 6 foot fences etc etc

Good luck - I was home checked and Max arrived within 4 days! :eek3::biggrin3:

Great to hear common sense is involved in their decisions!

Sandstone1

Visit site
Have you guide dog centre near you, they sometime need homes for dogs who have not made it for one reason or another.