Looking for a new 2nd pony .. advice of where to look ?

Spangles

Visit site
Hi,

My dd is outgrowing her fantastic loan pony and so we are reluctantly making tentative enquiries about a bigger 14.2 pony but I'd be very grateful for any advice and pointers as to safe & reliable websites/ individuals etc. that advertise loan/ sale ponies.

I've looked on the Pony Club website but not too much choice at the moment. DD is mainly interested in showjumping as her main discipline. Something safe but not necessarily 'push buttton'.

She's a tall 10yo and pretty competent.

Also, pro's & cons of buying vs loaning ?

Many thanks

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I didn't understand the zzz either!

Try speaking to local PC DC or instructors - they may know of ponies for sale. Ask your local instructor. Local competition venue.

dollymix

Visit site
Word of mouth usually finds the best ponies - Many of which aren't even advertised!
Ask around all your contacts... Even the blacksmith, vet and feed merchant

Shay

Visit site
Its not the right time of year to look. Pretty much everything is quiet right now - that's why most places have special offers on advertising! Give it a month or so at least.

A good 14.2 is almost as hard to get as a good first horse. Everyone wants them and once they have them few sell on. If you buy one you are going to have to face up to selling eventually - or giving it a home for life. If you loan and things go wrong you can give it back and know that it already has a home for life. But if you are pretty much open to either option just see what turns up. Speak to your local DC, a couple of not so locals if you have them (depends on the area of the country), and your area rep. As another poster said good PC ponies are very rarely advertised - and we've had 5 over the years. Never had to advertise any of them and bought only 1 from an advert. The selling market usually picks up by Mid Jan.

Spangles

Visit site
Thanks all, I realise it's not the best time of year so just putting feelers out. I think Word of Mouth & recommendation of known people is probably best so I've started asking a few trusted sources. I'm in Berkshire at the moment.

racingdemon

www.facebook.com
Does you know of anyone about to come off a pony you like the look of? I know for my 14.2, my mum basically put her name on him about 6 months before I got him, & that was about 20 years ago!

Good luck,

Sam_J

Visit site
Don't just rely on the Pony Club website - when I found my daughter's last loan pony it was through trawling through the individual websites of each branch of the Pony Clubs in our area, and the surrounding ones. Ponies are often advertised on branch websites rather than the national one. It might also be worth posting a wanted add. If you are a PC member, give your ad to your DC and ask her to e-mail it to all the DCs in your area.