Looking for a new horse! How did you guys know it was the right one?

SpringArising

Visit site
The only horse I got 'The One' feeling with at the viewing, was the only one I've ever had and didn't end up liking...

My current horse, I had to be convinced to buy. He was younger and greener than what I wanted - he was supposed to be a 'been there, done it, grown ups' horse after a series of cheeky project ponies. But I have fallen so head over heels with him, I seriously smile just thinking about him.

My other favourite horse was bought online. So don't wait for a feeling because you might be waiting forever, and passing up lovely horses.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
TBH I don't know exactly how I would describe that "knowing" feeling when you've found "The One".

All my horses have basically "told" me that they want to be with me!! Going right back to my little dapple grey pony I had when I was a kid - I somehow just knew that we were right for each other. He was 5 (but had done RDA even at that age, bless him) and I was a very novicey 13 - some sages prophesied doom and said green on green will never work. It did, beautifully, he was my special little man, sooohh precious.

Horse no. 2 appeared in my field overnight! Literally! I had a livery at the time who's OH did a bit of dealing on the side, and I'd got up to one of the empty fields in the morning to find this gorgeous bay looking over the gate at me! Livery's OH apologised deeply as he'd picked up the horse late the night before and didn't know where else to put him, and said he was going to ask me if it was OK (knowing I'm pretty laid back!!). Of course said I. He's for sale said blokey, might suit you, would you like to try him?? And that was it really, when I sat on his back I just "knew" I'd be keeping this horse - and actually, I wasn't even consciously looking for a horse at the time, was just thinking about it!!

The little youngster girly I've got now "chose" me. She'd been backed by a friend, then gone back to her owner. Friend said why don't you go and see the mare, mebbe worth a look. She was everything I'd said I didn't want! i.e. mare, youngster, coloured, hairy, you name it! But she came up to me in the field and just nuzzled my hair up with her breath, and I thought OK so I think I've been "chosen" by this little one, and then when I went to mount her, there was a huge thunderclap right overhead, and she didn't stir. A "sign" I thought. I brought her home!!

silv

Visit site
All the ones I have bought have gone really nicely for me and I have found them easy to ride. They have been "nice people" which is very important to me as is very good conformation. Have also had a good feeling about the sellers and liked them too. Haven't made a mistake yet!

I have also found/recommended horses for several friends to look at and that too has worked out well.