Looking for advice please- hCG

ClaireT

Visit site
My mare is being scanned tomorrow at approx 21 days. This is her second attempt this summer, and I am finding that her seasons are not very predictable.
If she scans not in foal tomorrow, what would be the best course of action?
Should I leave her running with the stallion to see if she seasons naturally at the end of next week, or should I get the vet to inject her with hCG tomorrow? If injected, can she be turned back out with the stallion, or should we wait and cover her in hand??
confused.gif

AndyPandy

Visit site
hCG promotes fast maturation and ovulation of existing dominant follicles. So, she should be close to ovulation already if you are going to use hCG - make sure she is scanned, and the vet makes sure that her follicle(s) are ready to go. If so, she will be 95% certain to ovulate within 48h.

I wouldn't turn her out, as the hCG will probably make her ovulate sooner than her body would expect, so she may not allow mating in time. So cover in hand.

Oviplant (deslorelin) is a better option, as it will lead to an ovulation with more accurate timing. If used correctly, 95% of mares will ovulate between 32h and 38h after the implant.

Good luck!

ClaireT

Visit site
Thanks Andy Pandy!
Would you recommend using deslorelin rather than hCG then?
So, if she gets the implant tomorrow morning, when would be the best time to cover her in hand?
Please forgive all the questions - this is my first breeding experience, and I am trying to learn as much as poss. about the options available!

AndyPandy

Visit site
I think this is a common misconception. Ovulation with deslorelin (Ovuplant/Oviplant) will generally occur quicker, and with greater precision. 36h is the average, although the packaging and most studies will quote 36-48h - simply because mares are scanned every 12 hours, because it's easiest.

Damien

Visit site
we have used it with good results last year, from what I understand it has had its license revoked in the US not sure if it has now been re-instated but in the past when injected into the neck, mares have not come back into season. The preferred method now seems to be to place it in the vulva and remove it afterwards, although last year one of them went walk abouts and could not be found, thankfully the mare was pregnant so we did not experience further difficulties with it. I think that as often mentioned all factors need to be taken into consideration and not all vets are experinced enough to identify when the "ideal" time to implant is! This some poopoo its usaeage.. and prefer sticking with corrilon