looking for breeding tips

lab

New User
myyellowlab.com
Hi . i posted this thread in the horse section by mistake so im coping it here :)

Hi. so I'm planning on breeding my 3 years old yellow lab . she is a pure breed and very beautiful. I'm waiting right now for her heat. it should happen any day now as her last heat was almost 8 months ago...i think she is a bit late even.

any tips would be much appreciated

thanks

Nir

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I am sorry if I have misunderstood the post - are you looking for tips about her heat or overall breeding tips?

**inserts the usual about low hip and elbow scores for both parents and hopefully show and/or working qualifications :)
I would not recommend anyone buy a pup from parents without at the very least their, hips and elbows done, with low scores.

gunnergundog

Visit site
Tip number one: don't do it!
Tip number two: don't do it!
Tip number three: don't do it!

There are THOUSANDS of yellow labs being bred that can not be sold or even given away. What makes yours so special that she should be bred from in order to ADD something to the breed?

Is she a Show Champion or a FtCh? Who says she is beautiful.....other than you? Does she have a show track record or has she been appraised by a breed expert?

What are the results of her health tests? Hips, elbows, eyes, heart?
What traits in the sire are you looking for to complement her weaknesses? Yes, she WILL have weaknesses......ALL dogs do.

How many homes do you have lined up for the pups? At least twelve I hope as many will drop by the wayside between conception and homing. How will you cope when three of the pups get returned to you at adolescence as the new owners can;t cope! You will of course, as a responsible breeder, be giving life time support.

Do you have a spare two thousand pounds in case your bitch needs a caesarean and/or the pups need vet help in the first few weeks of their birth. Are you prepared for your bitch to die whilst whelping?

I assume you do NOT work and will be able to care for the pups continuously for the first few weeks of their life.....I mean 24 hours x 7 for the first few weeks.

You should not need to be asking for tips on a forum like this; you should have acquired yourself an experienced breed mentor from your breed club who will be available to help you.

PLEASE......JUST DON'T DO IT! Am now off to try and do some training with three ten month olds that were dumped on me as I'm a soft touch.

Spudlet

Visit site
I am sorry if I have misunderstood the post - are you looking for tips about her heat or overall breeding tips?

**inserts the usual about low hip and elbow scores for both parents and hopefully show and/or working qualifications :)
I would not recommend anyone buy a pup from parents without at the very least their, hips and elbows done, with low scores.

Also, eyes for Labs, I believe.

RutlandH2O

Visit site
Tip number one: don't do it!
Tip number two: don't do it!
Tip number three: don't do it!

There are THOUSANDS of yellow labs being bred that can not be sold or even given away. What makes yours so special that she should be bred from in order to ADD something to the breed?

Is she a Show Champion or a FtCh? Who says she is beautiful.....other than you? Does she have a show track record or has she been appraised by a breed expert?

What are the results of her health tests? Hips, elbows, eyes, heart?
What traits in the sire are you looking for to complement her weaknesses? Yes, she WILL have weaknesses......ALL dogs do.

How many homes do you have lined up for the pups? At least twelve I hope as many will drop by the wayside between conception and homing. How will you cope when three of the pups get returned to you at adolescence as the new owners can;t cope! You will of course, as a responsible breeder, be giving life time support.

Do you have a spare two thousand pounds in case your bitch needs a caesarean and/or the pups need vet help in the first few weeks of their birth. Are you prepared for your bitch to die whilst whelping?

I assume you do NOT work and will be able to care for the pups continuously for the first few weeks of their life.....I mean 24 hours x 7 for the first few weeks.

You should not need to be asking for tips on a forum like this; you should have acquired yourself an experienced breed mentor from your breed club who will be available to help you.

PLEASE......JUST DON'T DO IT! Am now off to try and do some training with three ten month olds that were dumped on me as I'm a soft touch.

^^^This!!!

Gunnergundog hit the nail on the head on every aspect of breeding. PLEASE, PLEASE DON'T DO IT!!

lab

New User
myyellowlab.com
thanks for the replies.

CaveCanem - i did the tests for the elbows and hips. x-ray and everything that is needed. she is healthy and fine - i would not breed her unless i was sure she is healthy. and i guess I'm looking for tips about both subjects. she is supposed to be in heat now but she is not...maybe there are ways to speed it up i don't know :| - i only have a couple of months to do this otherwise i probably wont.

gunnergundog - her father and mother was my country champions for some years in row, a few years ago. i have the papers and everything.so she is of good genes. i don't compete with her because i just don't have the time and i don't really care about that stuff, but i did consult with judges and people in the AKC and they all agree she is worth breeding. she is not perfect , no one is but she is defiantly worth breeding.
i have right now about 10 people already wanting a pup. I'm sure IL have more once i put ads at the moment its just mouth to ear . i am not a professional breeder so I'm sure i wont have like 12 puppies ....the average is 5-6 so i think selling them or giving them wont be a problem. I'm not doing it for the money. i want her to have a legacy. i will keep one puppy for myself too.
im just looking for some tips from experienced breeders on how to do this in the best way possible.

UnaB

Visit site
What were her hip and elbow scores? And did you have her PRA tested?

FYI - Labs have BIG litters generally. The last three litters we've had there were 10 pups in the litter. And I think the one before that had 8 pups but 2 were lost during a caesarian. And believe it or not "professional" breeders cant order big litters LOL!! You get what your bitch produces no matter who you are!

We dont breed the labs much now, only when we're wanting another to show so maybe a litter every 3-4 years now if that. There are WAY too many labradors in the country and far too many of them have health problems. Maybe im cynical, but im pretty certain you havent had your bitch properly health tested so cant say for certain if she truly is "fit and healthy". The first thing to do is forget about breeding this season, get her FULLY health tested, take her to some shows or, working trials (im not up on my field trials stuff but im sure people can advise you) to make sure she definately is good enough to breed. And then research what lines you like, what stud dogs can give you what you want in the litter and hopefully improve on any faults your bitch has. You need to make contact with the stud owner in advance. Certainly, when people phone/email saying their bitch is due in season any day and ask to use one of my dogs I dont allow them, that shows they havent thought the litter out carefully and planned it properly.

s4sugar

Visit site
Having risked clicking the link to the BYB site in your sig I seriously doubt that yellow bitch is the product of two champions - unless "her father and mother was my country champions for some years in row, a few years ago" refers to a local pet show as dogs are not champions for years in a row - once they become a champion a champion they stay.
Her photo shows at least one disqualifying fault according to the AKC breed standard.
( http://www.akc.org/breeds/labrador_retriever/breed_standard.cfm )
Spay your pet and if you really love the labrador retriever breed and wish to breed invest in a top class foundation bitch from proven lines and get the breeder to mentor you and get her handled to a genune title and then the breeder will advise you about suitable mating.
The link above gives planty of links that you may well be advised to study so you can correct the errors and misinformation on your website.