looking for info please.

paddy555

Visit site
I'm looking for 2 bits if info please re vets if anyone has experience

firstly if a dog undergoing treatment with an extensive history of tests and treatments is moved to a different practice do the very extensive notes of previous treatments go with him to the new practice or do they have to work blind without the history

secondly does the owner have the right of access to the dog's vet notes, ie his tests, treatments and most importantly his behaviour and other non medical comments during his past treatment. If you do have a right to the notes does that really mean ALL the notes or can they be selective.

thanks

paisley

Visit site
As far as I know: veterinary history is sent to new practice, but they have to ask you first to give permission to request dogs info from old practice to new.
Veterinary history should be available on request - I needed it for an insurance claim, when it was treatment over a period of time. Not sure if some charge for the admin side of it though.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I'm looking for 2 bits if info please re vets if anyone has experience

firstly if a dog undergoing treatment with an extensive history of tests and treatments is moved to a different practice do the very extensive notes of previous treatments go with him to the new practice or do they have to work blind without the history

secondly does the owner have the right of access to the dog's vet notes, ie his tests, treatments and most importantly his behaviour and other non medical comments during his past treatment. If you do have a right to the notes does that really mean ALL the notes or can they be selective.
If you have paid for the treatment/tests etc, I would expect to be able to access everything but be prepared to pay for the admin costs associated with collating and forwarding everything. If you have been told that you can't access the records or feel that you haven't been given complete copies, I would ask again, making it clear that you expect complete records and if still unsuccessful, make an official complaint to RCVS.

Arzada

Visit site
When I phoned to register my cat with a new practice they asked me for the name of the previous vet. I asked why and it was so that the notes would be sent across. I had to phone the old vets to inform them that I was moving and that the new practice would contact them for the records. It all happened electronically on the same day.

BBP

Visit site
I think FOI only covers information held by public authorities, and subject access is only for data about yourself. I know when I tried to access X-rays from my vet they were really funny about it and said that the X-rays and notes were their property and that they had no obligation to provide them to me, that I paid for their advice and treatment but had no right to the notes/images. Whereas the insurance company did have a right to request them.

HelenBack

Visit site
I think FOI only covers information held by public authorities, and subject access is only for data about yourself. I know when I tried to access X-rays from my vet they were really funny about it and said that the X-rays and notes were their property and that they had no obligation to provide them to me, that I paid for their advice and treatment but had no right to the notes/images. Whereas the insurance company did have a right to request them.

Oh you're probably right about the FoI business, I just hoped it might be worth a go. That's a bit miserable of your vets either way though, mine are happy to send x-rays to me and have done quite a few times.

Clodagh

Visit site
When I phoned to register my cat with a new practice they asked me for the name of the previous vet. I asked why and it was so that the notes would be sent across. I had to phone the old vets to inform them that I was moving and that the new practice would contact them for the records. It all happened electronically on the same day.
This, when I moved down here old vets rang me to check and then sent all info to new vets.