Looking for new transport - trailer or litte lorry?

Joyous70

Visit site
It seems I may be in the market for a new trailer, or possibly a little lorry, after discovering that my trailer walls are rotten, it wsn't picked up on service either?

Anyhoo, currently don't have a budget as haven't discussed the finer points with OH, but I was looking at Bateston and Ifor trailers, when my OH suggested the little lorries i.e. 3.5ton, I can drive upto 7.5ton as have pre 1997 licence, but obviously the smaller lorries aren't subject to such stringent MOT's

My girl doesn't seem to travel well (possibly she new trailer wasn't sound its the walls not the floor) but she would bang and stamp about when not in motion.

So for those of you with trailers and lorries give me your pro's and cons please, I have many things to ponder!

Obviously whatever I decide to do, I will try and hire and have a weekend of playing prior to buying something similar, I don't want to go out and purchase a 3.5ton side loader, only to discover she hates it with a passion, I would rather spend £200 on hire and see how she goes first off.

Bernster

Visit site
I've only ever driven Lorries. I love my little one, it's easy to drive, spacious, fits loads in, has a decent payload, I have somewhere to get changed, it's got good visibility and I don't worry about high winds so much. Main downsides are its expensive in comparison, although I still think it's pretty economical to run, and most don't have the payload for two decent sized horses plus kit.

So if you want a good payload for two, you might need a bigger lorry or a powerful car which can tow. There do seem to be ones with rack and changing area so they may be equivalent to a small lorry.

I think horses may find being in a lorry more comfortable but I've not seen any direct evidence of that.

Joyous70

Visit site
I've only ever driven Lorries. I love my little one, it's easy to drive, spacious, fits loads in, has a decent payload, I have somewhere to get changed, it's got good visibility and I don't worry about high winds so much. Main downsides are its expensive in comparison, although I still think it's pretty economical to run, and most don't have the payload for two decent sized horses plus kit.

So if you want a good payload for two, you might need a bigger lorry or a powerful car which can tow. There do seem to be ones with rack and changing area so they may be equivalent to a small lorry.

I think horses may find being in a lorry more comfortable but I've not seen any direct evidence of that.
I'm only looking to take my horse when I travel so payload isn't a massive issue for me.

spookypony

Visit site
I had a 3.5t until recently, and now have a 4x4 + trailer.

3.5t: convenient to chuck horse in and go, not bad on fuel, drove it as a "car" for 2 years when old car died. But it turns out the horses didn't like it much: they are loading so much more easily on the trailer! Then again, some horses have trouble with trailers, and like lorries.

Trailer: convenient to have a car again, even if it's a diesel-guzzler. Turns out the whole hitching and reversing thing is far less of a faff than I thought it might be, and I am happily towing about 5 days/week now. Will be better for endurance, as can use 4x4 as a crew car. If 4x4 or trailer has problems, cheaper to replace the one that has the problems.

Choosing among the two, I now prefer the trailer option.

Eventmum

Visit site
We have had a 3.5ton lorry, it was fine untill we bought new pony who loathed it. So changed to trailer, a bateson which pony was happy with. Five years on and fed up with long wet eventing days and watching weather forecast in case of wind we bought a 7.5 ton lorry whic I love. Fuel economy hardly any different to when towing, cheaper tax and insurance, getting through plating not cheap but probably on a par with getting older 4x4 through mot each year.

sychnant

Visit site
Lorry every time for me!

Towing makes me nervous - I can do it fine, but I hate the thought of what would happen if the towbar failed.

I have a lovely 5 ton, and am only changing it because I had enough money to buy a really nice 3.5 ton, and we are out in the sticks so it's easier to MOT. The 5 ton is great though, shorter wheelbase than the 3.5 ton and huge payload!

I would always have a lorry by choice.

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
I would love to have a trailer because it would be one less vehicle. However I have a 3.5t lorry because it's almost impossible to get a vehicle and trailer safely of the road and in or out of our yard entry. The box has 2 removable partitions so the horse travels centrally. This makes the lorry balance better.
Really it's down to personal choice depending on your circumstances.