Looking for places to go hacking S.Bucks

Fuzzypuff

Visit site
I've recently moved my horse to this area and our yard doesn't have the best hacking. I'd like to box him out somewhere that doesn't involve roadwork as I really don't enjoy riding on the roads. Can anyone suggest where I can look to find places? Ideally I'd like somewhere within 30 mins of M25 J16, though would occasionally go further than that too. Are there any websites that list park and ride type places etc? Would also prefer to find somewhere for free for now, then would consider paying for a permit if we are going to use it enough.

Fuzzypuff

Visit site
Thanks, I have been looking at an ordnance survey map (there is this option on bing maps online) but there isn't anywhere from my yard and if I am to box somewhere then I will need to know where to park. OP, do you know where I could park in those places? Do I need a permit for Ashridge and is there completely off-road riding in both? If I am going to box an hour away then I don't want to have to ride on any roads.

Bow Brickhill does look like a decent amount of riding but it is 50 miles away and probably 1.5hrs so realistically I am not sure it is worth me getting a permit as quite far for me to go.

Great Westwood is great - didn't realise it was for sale and no info on their site?! Is it going to close then? TBH though not sure about going there as £16 is a lot for just a hack - my horse doesn't jump.

Any other suggestions please? Really desperate to get out somewhere!

OWLIE185

Visit site
We used to just park up at Ashridge Forest and then go for a nice long off road hack.
If you buy the o.s. maps for the areas around you you will be able to determine were the best network of bridleways are and then do some research on finding somewhere to park.

Equinus

Visit site
I worked in Ibstone, near Stokenchurch, years ago and people used to park on the common to ride in the area. I rarely rode on the roads and when I did it was only for short distances. Might be worth looking at a map of the area.

Bigbenji

Visit site
I sometimes box up to hack around bricket wood/water meadows as well. 5min from jc 21a M25. I've been meaning to go and explore Ashridge as well.
Not sure what's happening with Great Westwood, be such a shame if its lost :(

cambrica

Visit site
Ashridge is great but I think you need a permit for some of it.
Your always welcome to park up at my yard (when it dries out!). I'm in South Beds and on the doorstep of Totternhoe Knolls where there is a great network of bridleways starting at Stanbridge Ford. 5 minutes on the road then you can get lost for 2-3 hours or more!

Carefreegirl

Visit site
Bow Brickhill is glorious!! Though you do need a permit, for a year, I don;t think it's too expensive though!

Full of mountain bikers and out of control dogs. Moved from there after having a mountain biker leap off a ledge over our heads, he looked like ET in the flying bike pic as he soared past.....funny now, not at the time.

Nearly every time I rode there we were chased by a dog of some description. A woman on the yard actually had her horse badly injured by a dog 'that had never done that before'

Had many a 'chat' with the rangers about permits :wink3:

EllenJay

Visit site
Your always welcome to park up at my yard (when it dries out!). I'm in South Beds and on the doorstep of Totternhoe Knolls where there is a great network of bridleways starting at Stanbridge Ford. 5 minutes on the road then you can get lost for 2-3 hours or more!

You only need a permit for the "permissive" parts of Ashridge. There are loads of bridleways that you can ride without permits.

Bigbenji

Visit site
PM me if you want to go out hacking with a fellow welshie!

cambrica

Visit site
PM me if you want to go out hacking with a fellow welshie!
That sounds great :) I will pm you.... He is still young, quite slow and not very fit but it would do him the world of good to get out and have a bit of fun with a fellow welshie :D Thank you !

Fuzzypuff

Visit site
We used to just park up at Ashridge Forest and then go for a nice long off road hack.
If you buy the o.s. maps for the areas around you you will be able to determine were the best network of bridleways are and then do some research on finding somewhere to park.

Great thanks, I will look at it. I don't mind a day permit if not too expensive and then there may be a lorry park.

I worked in Ibstone, near Stokenchurch, years ago and people used to park on the common to ride in the area. I rarely rode on the roads and when I did it was only for short distances. Might be worth looking at a map of the area.

Thanks, I will look at the area. Perhaps if I post about it specifically some current locals can give me some tips.

I sometimes box up to hack around bricket wood/water meadows as well. 5min from jc 21a M25. I've been meaning to go and explore Ashridge as well.
Not sure what's happening with Great Westwood, be such a shame if its lost :(

Bricket Wood is where my old livery yard is, now you see why I'm so desperate to get out as we have no hacking! I plan to go hacking there each time I do a show at Patchetts, but was thinking I'd like to go to other places as individual outings :)

It will be a great shame if GWW will close :( I had so many good times there with my old horse.

That would be fab, maybe once all this rain has gone! I so miss being stabled on good off road hacking.

There is Wendover Woods, it's forestery commission but you can get day permits.

Also look at Chiltern Distance Riders. Organised rides to train for endurance.

Thank you, I will look at both. Might even consider doing a ride in future, only my horse gets easily upset by other horses so sometimes it's just easier to go out alone!

Sealine

Visit site
Ashridge is well worth a visit for hacking. Plenty of places to ride without needing a permit. Plenty of free parking available at the Bridgewater monument where there is a cafe.

spider

community.webshots.com
Good hacking around naphill and radnage in bucks although you might have to do a little roadwork for a circular route. you can park at end of hunts hill lane in Naphill. My favourite is Bradenham Woods (National Trust) near Naphill although you need a permit (from Naphill RC) i have seen horseboxes parked in recycling bin layby just past the RAF base at Walters Ash. You can ride through woods in a circle) or go as far as Downley. I could give you some map references if you were interested in doing this.

Northern Hare

Visit site
How about Coursers Farm in Colney Heath? You can get an annual pass and according to their website you can access bridle ways from there as well.

nich

Visit site
Good hacking around naphill and radnage in bucks although you might have to do a little roadwork for a circular route. you can park at end of hunts hill lane in Naphill. My favourite is Bradenham Woods (National Trust) near Naphill although you need a permit (from Naphill RC) i have seen horseboxes parked in recycling bin layby just past the RAF base at Walters Ash. You can ride through woods in a circle) or go as far as Downley. I could give you some map references if you were interested in doing this.

I'd love map references please! I've parked at Hughenden manor and ridden to Naphill Common and Downley, but didn't know there was riding at Bradenham.

OP sorry to hear riding with other horses is a prob for you, mine isn't easy, except with OH 's so I understand. CDR are quite small you may be able to go last, or the next day to pick up markers.