looking for recommendations/ feedback on anatomical girths

kickandshout

Visit site
I'm considering buying an anatomical girth as I've heard good reports ( mainly from people using dressage girths)
I have looked at the Fairfax with its cutaway style but eeek its a bit out of my price range.
I'm currently looking for one second hand but as I need a 58" it proving hard to find.

I understand the prolite is a very good version but as its synthetic and my horse has had sores from sweat under a synthetic girth I'm really only looking for leather.

so my question . . . ..
what anatomical girths have you used for jumping ? brand etc
how did they compare with a 'normal' girth ? did the horse move/ jump differently ?
and what recommendations do you have ?
are they really worth spending out on ?
of course if someone knows of a 58" black Fairfax girth I could be very interested.
thank you.

Smooshy

Visit site
Maybe not the most helpful answer, but to answer the question I have the prolite girth in both long and short. I do prefer leather, but *touch wood* have not had a problem with rubbing. He is an odd shaped pony, large shoulders and a forward girth groove and have not had the saddle move since having these girths (the reason for buying them).

He is much freer in his shoulder/ movement in general (not sure if that is the girth or saddle staying back though). Much happier in this shaped girth however, to work correctly under saddle/ flex/ stretch, so must be comfortable. Has quite an apparent 'shelf' so maybe not causing a pressure point compared to other girths I have tried, and allows for more movement. Now doing more work over poles, and looks less restricted throughout. Couldn't say about the hind legs compared to a fairfax girth, as not that far along in his work, but would be interesting to see once jumping.

I would definately buy these again. For him, they work, and we have tried many combinations to this point. But I would look into trialling a girth first if possible before spending a lot of money on one.

Have you had a look at the harry dabbs curved girth? I haven't personally, but have heard good reviews and it comes in leather too.

Sorry, that was rather long.

Last edited:

kickandshout

Visit site
thank you for your reply.
your reply is echoing the thoughts of others who have tried this style of girth. (freer in shoulder etc)
thank you I shall be looking into trailing one.